PDA

View Full Version : Help connecting WET11 to xbox please.

Aff
25-07-2003, 09:12
Hi,

I managed to Get my linksys router up and running, cable it to my home pc upstairs. Fit the network pcmcia card to the laptop and get that working. I felt so ahead of myself wiuth my limited knowledge of pcs.............

and then the xbox. absoutely no go.

Fitted the WET11 bridge. why did i just expect it to work. i checked the bridge first with my laptop and it worked ok. but no.

the sequence went

press connect to xbox
IP found
DNS found (or whatever)

then nothing, went straight to that page where you can't connect and it suggests problems which probably don't exist.

can anyone tell me what the last piece of the jigsaw is. i'd like to be on tonight as the g/f is away, woohoo...

btw, i couldn't connect to this .co.uk site last night but could to .com (which i'm not registered to)

any ideas why this is, i thought it was an ntl insider job???

Caspar
25-07-2003, 09:50
A bit of 'de je vous' here!

Haven't I already answered your question when you posted in the XBOX forum, found Can I have some wireless setup knowledge please? (http://217.163.9.161/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1363).

Take a look at the XBOX Wireless Gaming (http://217.163.9.161/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1342) which details the requirements and I think provides you with the solution you need.

Specifically:

Originally posted on the XBOX Wireless Gaming (http://217.163.9.161/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1342) thread
There is a problem that some people seem to have with these Bridges and that's with IP allocation. Both the XBOX and the Bridge are Internet network devices, therefore each require an IP (a local private IP address in this instance). However, it seems that if you plug your Bridge directly into the required setup IP allocation, through the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) serviced by your Router, does not work.

The tip is simply plug your new Bridge into your PC first, assign it an IP address that is unique on your network then integrate it into your wireless solution.

Originally posted by Aff
Hi,

I managed to Get my linksys router up and running, cable it to my home pc upstairs. Fit the network pcmcia card to the laptop and get that working. I felt so ahead of myself wiuth my limited knowledge of pcs.............

and then the xbox. absoutely no go.

Fitted the WET11 bridge. why did i just expect it to work. i checked the bridge first with my laptop and it worked ok. but no.

Have you enabled the WEP security, if you so you will need to enter that information into the Wireless Bridge before it can connect Wirelessly.

Originally posted by Aff
the sequence went

press connect to xbox
IP found
DNS found (or whatever)

then nothing, went straight to that page where you can't connect and it suggests problems which probably don't exist.

Are your settings within the XBOX dashboard setting 'Automatic'?

Originally posted by Aff
can anyone tell me what the last piece of the jigsaw is. i'd like to be on tonight as the g/f is away, woohoo...

;) See reply above...

Does this solution your problem?

Originally posted by Aff
btw, i couldn't connect to this .co.uk site last night but could to .com (which i'm not registered to)

any ideas why this is, i thought it was an ntl insider job???

See here (http://217.163.9.161/index.php?action=show&type=news&id=9) for more information on this...

Aff
25-07-2003, 11:18
thanks caspar, i didn't realise i posted it in this forum. no wonder i couldn't find it.

i must admit to not being so savvy with these things but i have tried. tonight i have an experienced friend and i want to make sure i have everything possible ready for him.

i'm sure it's down to IP allocation.

thanks

btw, any idea why i couldn't get on to this site last night?

Aff
25-07-2003, 11:22
and i got the bit about the site being unavailable. i'm not stupid, honest, just trying to get info quickly so no-one sees i'm wasting company time!!!