PDA

View Full Version : Connection dropping in Manchester?

Retrovertigo
19-06-2004, 02:42
Happened twice in 2 days now. Normally I have a nice stable connection - apart from slow browsing a couple of weeks ago but everything has been fine since.

I'm using a standalone Modem and like I say, suddenly I lose the connection and only a "reboot" of the modem fixes it. Most annoying.

Oh and I have trouble accessing a single website. www.gamefaqs.com. I haven't been able to access that single site in aages now. It just either shows me the main banner header but no page content - or asks if I wasnt to "detect network settings". anyone any ideas? It's a popular site and everyone I know online can access it fine.

Thanks as usual.

Bill C
19-06-2004, 10:24
Happened twice in 2 days now. Normally I have a nice stable connection - apart from slow browsing a couple of weeks ago but everything has been fine since.

I'm using a standalone Modem and like I say, suddenly I lose the connection and only a "reboot" of the modem fixes it. Most annoying.

Oh and I have trouble accessing a single website. www.gamefaqs.com. I haven't been able to access that single site in aages now. It just either shows me the main banner header but no page content - or asks if I wasnt to "detect network settings". anyone any ideas? It's a popular site and everyone I know online can access it fine.

Thanks as usual.

Well as far as the site goes i can get to it here in Warrington. Which part of Manchester are you in.

Florence
19-06-2004, 11:14
I was able to access the site using both Mozilla (which is going through the correct proxies) and IE that is linked to another areas proxies. IE had a pop up from spybot saying it had stopped some download from the site but the page still loaded. Droylsden area of Manchester

scrotnig
19-06-2004, 13:34
I am on 1mb via Set Tob Box in Manchester, and I have to report the same thing.
Each day overe the last three days, I have lost the connection totally and had to reboot the box and then the PC, after which it returned immediately. Not in itself a major issue, and not something I will 'report' as it may just have been a minor glitch, it's just interesting as my connection also is VERY stable normally...in fact it would be impossible for it to be any MORE stable.

scrotnig
19-06-2004, 13:34
PS that gamefaq site loads fine here, instantly as well.

Retrovertigo
19-06-2004, 20:32
I'm in fallowfield and I am now more puzzled as ever as to why I can't access that single site. I emailed NTL but haven't had a reply as of yet.

Connection has been fine so far today. But thankfully I've found that I don't need to reboot my P.C- I just disable my network card and reboot the modem, then enable the network card again.

I also still have probs with this site not saving my login details. I'm hoping someone from NTL who comes to these forums might be able to shed light on the Gamefaqs problem. It happened on my old p.c as well as this new one i'm using. It's really starting to pee me off now.

Florence
19-06-2004, 21:04
The other day my Ambit 120 dropped the internet and needed a reboot to reconnect. its the first time for this one to drop the internet my other did it for fun every few hours but always reconnected without rebooting.

Retrovertigo
20-06-2004, 07:00
Well, happened to be awake and it's happened again. it seems to be disconnecting/dropping the connection roughly 24 hours apart. it's normally in the middle of the night which is most annoying if I have left it downloading something.

I have tried to get a diagnostics reading using what is recommended in another thread (the robin walker thing?) but it keeps popping up with a box asking for a user name and password?

I would really appreciate if anyone from NTL could confirm if there are problems in the Manchester area as no doubt phoning NTL would probably be fruitless at the moment with it only dropping very infrequently.

Thanks

Florence
20-06-2004, 12:13
try typing in admin with admin for password there is another one but I am not sure what it is either root /root or cableroot/cableroot. I am sure someone will post correcting me on that one.

Bill C
20-06-2004, 14:43
try typing in admin with admin for password there is another one but I am not sure what it is either root /root or cableroot/cableroot. I am sure someone will post correcting me on that one.

root and root is the other username and password. As for a area fault in the north west that would do this I am not aware of one. Will check tomorrow when i get in work.

Retrovertigo
20-06-2004, 23:06
Is there something NTL checks periodically that Zonealarm may be blocking? I managed to try that webpage status thingy and under the Log it says something about attempts at maintenance? But they were blocked? I'd paste the results here but I can't access the site at the moment.

OldGeezer
21-06-2004, 09:39
Mine's drooped a couple of times over the last couple of days - normally very solid. IP range also changed from 213.x.x.x to 81.x.x.x
Had to reboot the STB again this morning.
(SK11 area)

Retrovertigo
21-06-2004, 11:44
Yeah I'm almost certain this all started happening after the latest I.P address they gave me a few days ago. In fact a change of I.P address always cuts me off.

Why don't they stick with the same I.P address? People I talk to that are on B.T say they have a fixed I.P address.