PDA

View Full Version : Loss of BB for the last 24 hours

wheeze
17-06-2004, 08:48
Hope someone can help me. I'm based in Hove (near Brighton) and when i got home last night i found i have no broadband anymore (using SACM). The thing that confuses me is that i am still being assigned a NTL IP address (80.7.228.xxx) but i cannot browse any web pages or sign into the mail servers. I chacked the connection again this morning but still nothing.
I tried to call CS last night but gave up after 1 hours wait. I see on the server status page that "maintainence" work is taking place in Brighton at the moment but i have several friends with NTL who are local and they have had no problems at all.
Please help! I'm at a loss with no home internet!

BBKing
17-06-2004, 08:58
What number does the IP address end in? If it's >248 then your modem has come unregistered for some reason. If not, I'd suspect a routing problem.

wheeze
17-06-2004, 09:02
Thanks for the incredibly swift response!
I cant remember the last digit of my IP, im at work right now but one thing worth mentioning is that whilst i was troubleshooting the connection i did an ipconfig /release & /renew which came back with an IP of 82.0.97.95 (i tried this a few times, my latest IP is the 80.7.228.xxx one)

BBKing
17-06-2004, 09:25
There's someone online with 82.0.97.95 and the range its in is routed correctly. Can't do much more unless I can confirm that's actually you :)

wheeze
17-06-2004, 09:32
Sorry i should have been clearer, i HAD the 82.0.97.95 address for about 3-4 hours last night and it wasnt working. After doing an ipconfig /release & /renew i was given the 80.7.228.xxx address (although cant remember the last digit, im pretty sure it was 2 digits so would be <248).

jhbodle
17-06-2004, 10:29
Yeah, my broadband's wasn't working yesterday either - haven't tried it today yet. I'm based in Hove too and my friend is also having problems connecting. I am still getting my normal NTL IP address even after a release and renew, but I can't ping my external gateway (80.7.229.254). In fact, I can't ping anything outside of my home network. Any ideas guys?

wheeze
17-06-2004, 10:33
Sorry to hear your BBisnt working, but i have to say i'm slighly relieved its not just me! You have the exact same symptoms as me so i guess there must be a fault.
If anyone else knows whats going on please let me know.
Thanks.

wheeze
17-06-2004, 12:07
Does anyone here know if there is a fault in Hove? I've been waiting for CS to answer my call for over 1 hour now and i'm losing the will to live.
All i need to know is if there is a fault or not...If there is a fault i'll just wait for it to be fixed and stop posting here and calling CS.

wheeze
17-06-2004, 14:12
no response on the phones....waited 1hr 25mins and gave up.
anyone..? please....?

How come if i call NTL to pay a bill or add a service the phone gets answered right away?

24 hours then its back to BT/Freeview

Chris W
17-06-2004, 14:38
If it is a stand alone cable modem that you are using, pm me the mac address off the bottom and i will have a look at it tonight for you (i'm in work until 6pm)

MB

wheeze
17-06-2004, 15:21
Thanks, but i have no web access at home (dont have a dial up modem) so unless it is fixed by the time i get back i wont be able to PM you till tommorrow....I'll let you know what happens, and thanks for the offer of assistance.
However, judging by jhbodle's post it seems there may be a fault so i'm hoping this is an NTL issue and not my setup.

wheeze
17-06-2004, 15:22
BTW - i'm in the BN3 area - any reports of any faults there?

Chris W
17-06-2004, 16:37
BTW - i'm in the BN3 area - any reports of any faults there?

If you pm me your full postcode, housenumber and surname, i will be able to get the mac address from that.

MB

wheeze
22-06-2004, 13:02
All working now (only 2 days outage lol!)....thanks to those who offered to help.
Can i make a suggestion to NTL...? Why not actually update the service status page to reflect the true picture of outages/problems etc..? You may find this reduces the number of frustrated customers calling for help. It was only after 2 days of calling an assortment of numbers that i actually got someone to confirm there was a fault in my area. Pretty dismal service in my opinion.