PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Strange!! things!

Wolf
16-06-2004, 19:50
Hi all. My m8 has got a new cable modem and can only connect it to his laptop via the usb. I tried to get it to work with ethernet but it wouldn't have it. We tried it at my house and it works perfect. I tried it though my network, with his cable, with my cable and it works perfect. But when he took it home and hooked it back up same problem. Has NTL done something to his feed? He hasn't got a home phone so used a phone box. Tech told him that it is his problem. An engineer went out last week and couldn't fix it. I know how to network and everything great on my feed. Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

Florence
16-06-2004, 19:55
Check the ethernet card is working correctly. We had one card that was faulty and had to get it replaced.
Try it in another PCI slot incase the slot is faulty or in another pc.

Tezcatlipoca
16-06-2004, 20:12
There can sometimes be problems when switching from USB to ethernet.

The modem must be power cycled when changing from using USB to ethernet (or vice versa).

Also, some people, who use USB, actually find it necessary to leave the cable modem turned off overnight before then trying to use the ethernet connection instead.

Robin Walker's CM tips site has some info on USB>Ethernet swapping:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap

Here's a link to a thread in which someone else had a similar problem:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=12501

Tricky
16-06-2004, 20:50
What OS is the lappy running?
The network card is enabled in the BIOS isn't it?
try an ipconfig /all at the command prompt and check if it shows up with any address at all
Is it configured to use DHCP or static addressing

Wolf
16-06-2004, 21:03
As i said everything works on my cable feed but not on his cable feed. Ethernet works everything works until it's plugged back into his ntl feed at his house. Simply plug in here ethernet works, plug in there and it fails.

Chris W
16-06-2004, 21:45
If you have connected three different devices to the modem in 24hours it may be locked for 24hours. I have never seen this happen but i have heard that it does.

Tricky
16-06-2004, 21:55
You have removed the USB cable completely and reset the modem haven't you? Power up the modem 1st then the laptop and see what that does.

Does the ethernet light on the modem light up?

Earl of Bronze
16-06-2004, 21:56
When I was the Belfast BB Troubleshooter I had a dog of a problem with a laptop ethernet connection. The problem turned out to be that the customer had a 16bit card when what was needed was a 32bit card. So it might be worthwhile having a look to see what the card is.

Wolf
22-06-2004, 12:32
there is nothing wrong with the ethernet or laptop. I unscrewed the black cable from ntl at his house and took the modem and laptop to my house then screwed the black cable from ntl back in at my house, everything works. We go back to his house and screw cable back in and it doesn't work. Something is wrong with ntl's cable at his house. His modem will only work ith USB at his house whereas is work with both ethernet and usb at mine. I'm not a n00b. Have 4 pc home network with occasional wifi for laptop. Web server blah blah blah.

What can ntl's problem be???

Chris W
22-06-2004, 12:41
there is nothing wrong with the ethernet or laptop. I unscrewed the black cable from ntl at his house and took the modem and laptop to my house then screwed the black cable from ntl back in at my house, everything works. We go back to his house and screw cable back in and it doesn't work. Something is wrong with ntl's cable at his house. His modem will only work ith USB at his house whereas is work with both ethernet and usb at mine. I'm not a n00b. Have 4 pc home network with occasional wifi for laptop. Web server blah blah blah.

What can ntl's problem be???

what ip is his computer picking up?

what about if you unscrew the coax cable and renew the ip?

if you get an error message when trying to renew the ip, what is it?

Neil
22-06-2004, 12:42
Are you using the same ethernet cable at both houses?

maverick
22-06-2004, 15:16
Ok let me get this straight.

His modem works fine on your feed with enet at your house.
Modem is fine then.
His modem wont work on enet at his house.
But will work with usb at his house.
The feed is fine then,if it supplies an ip address from his feed on usb it should be able to do it for enet,that rules out a problem with the feed at his house.
That dont make sense.
As monkeybreath said earlier,what ip address is he getting at his house when using the ethernet connection. :confused:

Bifta
22-06-2004, 15:46
If it works fine at a house other than his, wouldn't there be a problem with the mac address registration being from a different cable feed?

Chris W
22-06-2004, 15:57
If it works fine at a house other than his, wouldn't there be a problem with the mac address registration being from a different cable feed?

nope... ;)

and also it works at his house with usb anyway.

Stop It
22-06-2004, 21:29
Sounds Like a buggered ethernet card, check that the drivers are fully up to date, and working, and before changing from USB to ethernet , power cycle the modem, connect ethernet, and release/renew its IP, If it works, nice, If any errors occur, and you get a 169.254.X.X IP address (oops 2 mistakes), then your ethernet card is failing to communicate with the cable modem, or its being blocked from doing so, if so try leaving the modem off all night, try it again in the morn and if the same error occurs, then a failed Ethernet card is a distince possibilty (I had a similar issue, couldnt change from USB to ethernet, quick change of Ethernet card , after days of trying, solved it)

dragon
22-06-2004, 23:46
i highly doubt a buggerd ethernet card as he said it worked around his house with the SAME modem.

i would try the powercycle suggestion