PDA

View Full Version : hmm No NTL on this street or is there??

blenkin69
16-06-2004, 17:14
Hi there peeps got a bit of a queery for ya... not sure if anyone can help but i sure would appreciate it.

A friend of mine just moved house and she wants a simple 150k broadband package from NTL.... the whole area is capable of getting broad band except her street acording to the online check.
Her street has been dug up and there is a black box running up to each of the houses (CATV). Can any of you think why this would be.. we are totally flumoxed.

The postcode is TS13 4PX
all the surrounding streets (even the ones at either end can get it)

TS13 4PP can get it
TS13 4PW can get it
TS13 4PY can get it
TS13 4QA can get it

Can any of you help with this?

Thanks in advance

Chris W
16-06-2004, 17:20
:welcome: to the site! :wavey:

I am about to go to work, so check back here in an hour and i will give you a definate answer :)

MB

blenkin69
16-06-2004, 17:52
thanks mate your a legend!!!

paulyoung666
16-06-2004, 18:09
postcode checker is most probably wrong , i assume there are some sort of plates in the path with catv or similar stamped on them ????????? , :welcome: to the site btw , hope you enjoy your stay most of us dont bite :D :D :D :D

Chris W
16-06-2004, 18:10
according to the tool here, the following services are available:

Telephony
Analogue TV
Digital TV
Interactive Digital TV
Cable Modem
NTLWorld Dialup

hope that helps :)

MB

paulyoung666
16-06-2004, 18:13
true to your word mb , nice service --- paul :tu:

blenkin69
16-06-2004, 18:20
WOW!!... thanks for that info... and thats defo on TS13 4PX... right ok how do i say to the peeps at the end of the fone wen i call them up that ive got this info hehe cos they just say that its unavailable :| any ideas sorry to be a pest lol... just dont wanna come accross as an arogant caller lol

Chris W
16-06-2004, 19:23
WOW!!... thanks for that info... and thats defo on TS13 4PX... right ok how do i say to the peeps at the end of the fone wen i call them up that ive got this info hehe cos they just say that its unavailable :| any ideas sorry to be a pest lol... just dont wanna come accross as an arogant caller lol

Yep i have double checked and that is definately what is being said here.

If you need to you can tell sales that someone in technical support checked on the frachise service lookup tool and it said it was available, but i am 90% sure that is what sales will use to check anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.

MB

blenkin69
17-06-2004, 00:05
okis cheers mate ill try this tomz or friday

Thanks!!

andrew_wallasey
17-06-2004, 11:13
Could you check CH49 3PP for us mate?

Marge
17-06-2004, 11:28
Could you check CH49 3PP for us mate?

I can check that one for you later :D

GazzaB
17-06-2004, 11:34
That address is coming up as non serviceable. Off-net only unless it is a telewest area?

andrew_wallasey
17-06-2004, 11:45
I didnt think so was just checking its just that whole estate has all the ducting in the ground, cabs, f/w and tee's (done by nynex)

blenkin69
21-06-2004, 13:48
hmm this isnt going to plan... :( i said wat u said to say MB to a blokeand he said that he would send someone out to check it but they said that last week and never did lol :( ill just wait a week n see wot happens

il post back soon

badnbusy
21-06-2004, 15:04
This checker has a more up-to-date database than the one on ntl's sales site. However, the checker only tells you if broadband is specifically available.

Check your postcode here: http://www.dslzoneuk.net/cablechecker.php :)

blenkin69
21-06-2004, 20:31
thats odd it says at that site its available too... :S lmao so confusing

mmm
21-06-2004, 22:44
This checker has a more up-to-date database than the one on ntl's sales site. However, the checker only tells you if broadband is specifically available.

Wow, this checker says I can have ntl broadband, the ntl site still does not - even when viewed over ntl bb!

badnbusy
22-06-2004, 06:48
Wow, this checker says I can have ntl broadband, the ntl site still does not - even when viewed over ntl bb!

Yep. Because the database I use is direct from ntl. It is actually a newer version than ntl have on their own site ;)

So it has a lot more accurate and up-to-date postcodes :)

poolking
22-06-2004, 07:09
Yep. Because the database I use is direct from ntl. It is actually a newer version than ntl have on their own site ;)

So it has a lot more accurate and up-to-date postcodes :)
So now we all know that the database of the sales site is out of date, when are they going to update that database.

I reckon NTL are loosing quite a few customers because some people won't even bother ringing CS to find out when the postcode checker should give out more accurate information.

badnbusy
22-06-2004, 08:14
So now we all know that the database of the sales site is out of date, when are they going to update that database.

I reckon NTL are loosing quite a few customers because some people won't even bother ringing CS to find out when the postcode checker should give out more accurate information.

Fully agree with you there. Don't know there reasons for not implementing it, so couldn't really comment. Crazy really.

Neil
22-06-2004, 10:02

'Soon'! :D

Good point.

SMHarman
22-06-2004, 10:46
I'm only a customer through similar persistance.

I have a 1.5m wide cab outside my house LWH1010, the postcode checker said no cable. Called them up their db said no cable.

Asked a number of people what this box was for, was told it was not due to me living in an area of new housing and that it was not connected to the network. Well it was new housing in 1930!

Gave up at this point (for a while), then realised that there were lots of neighbours with cable points on their front walls. Called NTL again. Same speil.

Threatened to tie a rope around their goddam useless box, hook it to my neighbours 7ton truck and see how unconnected to the network it really was.

Got a visit the next day and told I could be installed by the end of the week and get the basepack free for 3 or 6 months (it was a while ago I cant remember exactly).

Be persistant, then ask for a healthy discount for doing thier work in ensuring their database is up to date.

Neil
22-06-2004, 10:59
I'm only a customer through similar persistance.

I have a 1.5m wide cab outside my house LWH1010, the postcode checker said no cable. Called them up their db said no cable.

Asked a number of people what this box was for, was told it was not due to me living in an area of new housing and that it was not connected to the network. Well it was new housing in 1930!

Gave up at this point (for a while), then realised that there were lots of neighbours with cable points on their front walls. Called NTL again. Same speil.

Threatened to tie a rope around their goddam useless box, hook it to my neighbours 7ton truck and see how unconnected to the network it really was.

Got a visit the next day and told I could be installed by the end of the week and get the basepack free for 3 or 6 months (it was a while ago I cant remember exactly).

Be persistant, then ask for a healthy discount for doing thier work in ensuring their database is up to date.

But why should you have to go through that aggro, just to put money in a company's pocket??

SMHarman
22-06-2004, 11:15
I shouldn't, but didn't want a sat dish bolted to the front of the house (which is where it needs to be located (they face southish).

What I never really understood throughout this was that my neighbours both had NTL and the same postcode, how did they manage to sign up?

Oh and they gave me free install, which was not so much of a give away, as I believe there was a policy back then of free install to those who had street furniture outside their houses.

blenkin69
22-06-2004, 15:21
thanks man uve given me more hope hehe :) they say theres an enginer or summat cummin out at sum point so we will have to see but ill give a few more days before i fone back... gud to see u got sorted tho!!

Cheers

DbzDP
23-06-2004, 12:55
That online checker is wrong, it says I can't get NTL Broadband. But I have had NTL Broadband for over a year now.

badnbusy
23-06-2004, 17:24
That online checker is wrong, it says I can't get NTL Broadband. But I have had NTL Broadband for over a year now.

Thanks for the report. If you can PM me the postcode I will update it :)

James

blenkin69
28-06-2004, 15:45
Hi Tis me again :(

Ok right this isnt going to well unfortunatly :(... they recon they have sent someone out to check it and say its non servicable ... could the new information that you guys have pointed me to be wrong also? still totally confuzzeled by all this doh!

anyone got anymore ideas... thanks again

Aaron

Neil
28-06-2004, 15:47
Hi Tis me again :(

Ok right this isnt going to well unfortunatly :(... they recon they have sent someone out to check it and say its non servicable ... could the new information that you guys have pointed me to be wrong also? still totally confuzzeled by all this doh!

anyone got anymore ideas... thanks again

Aaron

If ntl have been out to inspect the property, I would suggest that it is now over as far as getting ntl services is concerned I'm afraid.

At least they came out to you, fair play for that. :tu:

blenkin69
28-06-2004, 16:15
howdi... yeh mate id be willin to accept that if her path hadnt bin dug up to facilatate a ntl cable hehe n combining that with the above information... might just be me but felt like i was bin fobbed off lol no disresepct to other ntl workers in that :)

cheers

WIREROB
16-09-2005, 10:45
Hi all
I am having similar problems with NTL after signing up inthe local town centre (Warrington). Everyother house in my culdesac of semidetached houses has an ntl box under their bay window. Recently our neighbours (house attached to ours) took advantage of the broadband offer and NTL came out and connected them up - after asking permission to dig up part of our front to hook the cable up to the neighbours house. As they got such a good deal we signed up a few weeks later. 4 weeks later nothing - just phoned up cs and they say our address is unservicable. Checked on the website and our house number is the only one on the estate that is shown as unserviceable. Spoke to an NTL engineer the other day who was working at a neighbours house and she said if our attached neighbours had a connection then we should have one - must be an admin mistake. How do you get cs to listen

Rob

SMHarman
16-09-2005, 10:50
There is a database management team that dealt with this way back when I had the same problem.
Try that response thingy on here.

marky
16-09-2005, 10:53
welcome and yes try the responsetek sevice at the top of this page
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/index.php?

Bill C
16-09-2005, 11:31
Hi all
I am having similar problems with NTL after signing up inthe local town centre (Warrington). Everyother house in my culdesac of semidetached houses has an ntl box under their bay window. Recently our neighbours (house attached to ours) took advantage of the broadband offer and NTL came out and connected them up - after asking permission to dig up part of our front to hook the cable up to the neighbours house. As they got such a good deal we signed up a few weeks later. 4 weeks later nothing - just phoned up cs and they say our address is unservicable. Checked on the website and our house number is the only one on the estate that is shown as unserviceable. Spoke to an NTL engineer the other day who was working at a neighbours house and she said if our attached neighbours had a connection then we should have one - must be an admin mistake. How do you get cs to listen

Rob

Pm me your details and i will get it looked into. I work from the Warrington office. This is very easy to fix :)

WIREROB
20-09-2005, 14:09
Thanks for the offer Bill. PM sent.

Rob

Bill C
26-09-2005, 15:59
Thanks for the offer Bill. PM sent.

Rob

Good news your house is now on the serviceable list :)

atlantis
26-09-2005, 16:19
Good news your house is now on the serviceable list :)

Nice one Bill:tu:

WIREROB
28-09-2005, 11:55
Bill many thanks with your help re getting the House no acknowledged as Seviceable. I now have an installation date for next Monday, so I will soon be able to cancel the Wanadon't broadband account. As an employee of NTL you have gone the extra mile, and you are a credit to your company.

Many Thanks

Rob

:tu:

welwynrose
28-09-2005, 13:35

sorry but that one is wrong as well it tells me AL8 7PX that I can't get ntl broadband but I do already in fact I have a 3mb line

agarwell
14-01-2006, 13:01
i also live on a housing estate which is about 10 years old, nynex cabled the entire estate when they built the area, my post code is BL5 2QS, i have a pipe under my front window like a circular shape which says duraline on it, but ntl say that it isnt available in my area, theres a big green cab only down the road. This is really frustrating me. Most people that live round here have the brown ntl box on the walls meaning they can get the services but i cant, i was just wondering if theres any way of convincing ntl to take a look and get the to cable my house.

marky
14-01-2006, 13:46
Welcome to cf, can i suggest you edit your postcode, because i now know what street you live on "rather close to"
there are people(ntl staff) that hang about here, that may ask for more info via pm, and they can check for you.:)