PDA

View Full Version : Can I have some wireless setup knowledge please?

Aff
24-07-2003, 14:18
Hi all,

got my BB upgraded to 600k today. received the following in the post yesterday :-

Linksys 54G router (connected to pc via cable)
Linksys 54G pcmcia card (wireless to laptop)
Linksys WET11 (wireless to xbox)

I think wiring (or not) is no problem, i only have to do the cable modem to the router to the pc. the others are wireless.

so can you tell me what i'd need to do.

install ALL the software on my pc? or laptop, xbox or all of them???

what will i need off NTL?

what knowledge to i need?

i know absoutely nothing of networking and minimal computer knowledge if i get in a pickle but i'm preparing to try tonight.

i'm a little worried about hackers too.

and MAC cloning. is this important?

thanks for the info, the how to guides are a little over my head. eengleesh for the layman anyone?

Caspar
24-07-2003, 14:44
Have you seen Wireless Gaming thread (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1342) in the XBOX Useful Information (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=16) forum.

Originally posted by Aff
Hi all,

got my BB upgraded to 600k today. received the following in the post yesterday :-

Linksys 54G router (connected to pc via cable)
Linksys 54G pcmcia card (wireless to laptop)
Linksys WET11 (wireless to xbox)

I think wiring (or not) is no problem, i only have to do the cable modem to the router to the pc. the others are wireless.

so can you tell me what i'd need to do.

Sounds like you have everything you need! :D

Originally posted by Aff

install ALL the software on my pc? or laptop, xbox or all of them???

You will need to set the router up, following the instructions guide that came with it. The WEP security is disabled by default so make sure you enable that.

There's a note what to do with the Bridge in the guide linked above.

Originally posted by Aff

what will i need off NTL?

Nothing, you now have what you need...the broadband connection :D You need nothing else [from NTL ;)].

Originally posted by Aff

what knowledge to i need?

i know absoutely nothing of networking and minimal computer knowledge if i get in a pickle but i'm preparing to try tonight.

Have a read of this thread, most things are covered there...STB wireless router connection nightmare (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1340)

Originally posted by Aff

i'm a little worried about hackers too.

Make sure you enable the WEP security within the Router control panel. Once the router is connected and your cabled PC (connect this first then the wireless laptop) can see the router, type 192.168.1.1 in your browser window. This will give you access to your router settings, and WEP security.

Originally posted by Aff

and MAC cloning. is this important?

MAC cloning is only required when you connect your XBOX directly to your Modem ;)

Originally posted by Aff

thanks for the info, the how to guides are a little over my head. eengleesh for the layman anyone?

I hope the above helps, if not then we'll be happy to help :D

Aff
25-07-2003, 10:43
Hi, just a little help still required. i thought i posted earlier but can't find what happened to it.

anyway,

everything is running in the most basic set-up fashion.

router setup ok
pc - linked via cable ok
laptop - linked via wireless pcmcia card ok
xbox - wet11 bridge - NOT OK!!!

aargh,

oh well, i knew it couldn't be this easy even with all the stuff printed off you mentioned.

i know the WET11 bridge works because i got on the net with my laptop with it. i didn't have to install any drivers for this on my lappy though, does it have to be configured somewhere. if so, how?

it seems the xbox does recognize it but can't connect to live.

connection to live goes :-

IP found
DNS found
then flips to the can't connect screen and suggests three possible problems.

i wondered if someone could be so kind to offer a possible solution in quite laymans terms. i really want to be on tonight.

thanks

Caspar
25-07-2003, 10:56
Aff - did you not see my reply, here (http://217.163.9.161/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1382)?