PDA

View Full Version : Winnersh data centre

Hick
16-06-2004, 00:02
It would appear that Winersh data centre is port scanning my computer approximately every 12 minutes and has been for the past hour according to Sygate firewall, which classes it as a major event.

Has not happened before tonight and so I was wondering why it might be doing it?

Also ftp is up the ****ter at the moment, so that annoying too :p:

Stuartbe
16-06-2004, 00:09
Can you confirm the ports that it is scanning.

Hick
16-06-2004, 00:26
Well it would seem that the two issues are related. I'm currently accessing my ftp account for my ntl webspace. I do something (not quite narrowed it down yet) which cause an incoming TCP response on various ports in the 22XX range. The firewall then promptly blocks upload.ntlworld.com (winnersh data centre) and then the ftp appears to me to be broke, but actually its just my firewall blocking it.

I've just applied a rule letting it through so hopefully that should solve the problem. Thanks for your interest anyways Stuart :)

Paul
16-06-2004, 00:30
In normal ftp mode - the Client initiates the control connection to the server - it then sends a command to the server which causes the server to initiate a data connection back to the client. The tcp port on the server will be 20 - the destination port (on the client) will be random and 22xx is a quite likely range.

Tezcatlipoca
16-06-2004, 01:03
Just wondering...

Why would Sygate have now started blocking Hick's FTP access to upload.ntlworld.com?

Different software firewall, but maybe a similar thing??....this thread had someone having trouble accessing upload.ntlworld.com when using ZoneAlarm - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13112

Or am I just linking things which aren't connected?

:shrug: