PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Medic and win98 first edition

Chris W
15-06-2004, 21:14
Hi

I have been testing the broadband medic program with a number of different platforms, and have possibly solved an issue with windows 98 first edition and the installation, but i need more examples from people. Has anyone on here tried this combinations?

If so and you had problems, please try me the following to fix the problem:

It may be a problem with the comctl32.dll file. If this is not present and updated to version 5.80.2614.3600, then BBmedic will not install.

First uninstall any traces of BBmedic

1. go to start -> run %temp% and delete the ntl folder

2. find the motive folder and delete it.

3. Download the newest version of comctl32.dll from here http://tinyurl.com/2u4t and chose to open the file. If the cmr has the latest version it will prompt them and not install it again.

4. Try installing BBmedic again, if you have the latest version of BBinstaller, browse to x:/setup/bbmedic/bbmedinst.exe

BBmedic should then install ok :)

Please leave feedback here of whether this does/ does not work, so i can look into it further!

Thanks
MB

utt
15-06-2004, 22:20
The comctl32.dll file file should autoupdate when medic is installed with WIn 98 FE. If it isn't and you have examples, escalate it to the project team so they can get it looked at.

They have access to the developers who can if there is a problem, fix it. If you don't pass the info on, they can't do anything.

Chris W
15-06-2004, 23:26
The comctl32.dll file file should autoupdate when medic is installed with WIn 98 FE. If it isn't and you have examples, escalate it to the project team so they can get it looked at.

They have access to the developers who can if there is a problem, fix it. If you don't pass the info on, they can't do anything.

have done.... i was just trying to see if i could get more examples ;)

MB

greencreeper
15-06-2004, 23:32
I wonder how long it will be before developers stop developing for Windows 98 and correcting software bugs associated with the OS, especially the first edition, which really no one should be using?

Chris W
15-06-2004, 23:35
well m$ tried to stop supporting win98 a while ago but that there was such a fuss that they started to support it again, so i wouldnt be surprised if developers did stop bothering soon.

dragon
15-06-2004, 23:36
well m$ tried to stop supporting win98 a while ago but that there was such a fuss that they started to support it again, so i wouldnt be surprised if developers did stop bothering soon.

yeah but some of m$ newer apps need 2000 or xp e.g office 2003 so id say they are definatly looking to drop win98 sometime soon

although i have to say it was AWFULL for stablity lol used to crash every couple of hours if i was lucky

greencreeper
15-06-2004, 23:49
although i have to say it was AWFULL for stablity lol used to crash every couple of hours if i was lucky

I've used XP as an end user but not as an admin, though I know that the guts are pretty much NT-like with bells and whistles. I've just got a book (XP in a Nutshell) and I skipped to the bit about installing XP. In summary (after 3 or 4 pages), you can't install it on a old machine and you're likely to have problems with a new machine. Compare that to 98SE - copy the install folder to a partition and run setup and hey presto. I'm still not getting why XP is so great - sure 98SE crashes and has to be rebooted every two days but it's easy to install and use. XP's complexity has increased by a factor of a million in comparision - even the file system has inherent problems. This old PC <strokes it lovingly> won't have XP but I guess some day I'll have to sell my soul to XP :)

What was the topic again? :p:

Stuartbe
16-06-2004, 00:01
Have you tried the universal fix command for 98 ?

It goes like this - deltree /y *.* :D

P.S. Dont type this command peeps :)

dragon
16-06-2004, 00:12
you can't install it on a old machine and you're likely to have problems with a new machine.What was the topic again? :p:

what?

ive never had problems installing xp

and ive had it running on a 266mhz p2 with 64mb ram yeah it ran slow but it installed fine.

also had no probs installing it on my althon xp 2500+ (oc to 3000+) so i dunno where thats coming from :confused:

ive done plenty of xp installations before and biggest problem i've ever had is making a typo on the cd key.

edit

I could never get an uptime of more than a few hours on win98 although i did have loads of games on it lol.

xp pc i can litrally turn it on in the morning and it will quite happily sit there all day running away ever increasing the electric bill...

anway spose better get back on topic