PDA

View Full Version : PC Powers itself on...

Mr K
14-06-2004, 13:32
I had broadband installed last week (am running Windows 2000 with an ethernet connection). Mysteriously my PC now powers itself on overnight, anybody got any ideas on why this is and how I can stop it happening ? Thanks

Bifta
14-06-2004, 13:37
Check you don't have WOL (wake on lan) enabled in your bios, my machine used to do it occasionally though, even without WOL on, so I used to just switch it off at the PSU or mains.

MovedGoalPosts
14-06-2004, 13:44
Wake on Lan can often also be set in the network card's advanced properties in Windows Control Panel.

Mr K
14-06-2004, 22:08
Thanks for that.
Wake on Lan was enabled in the Bios settings - so hopefully I've disabled it and my pc will sleep when I do.........
It usually boots up itself around midnight so i'll keep vigil......

paulyoung666
14-06-2004, 22:15
hi and :welcome: to the site , sorry i had to get it in , and the advice given above is sound :)

Mr K
15-06-2004, 08:26
Thanks Paul. The bad news is its turned itself on again overnight, Doh !
Wake on Lan is disabled and 'allow this device to bring the computer out of standby' is unchecked for the network card in control panel. Any other ideas or is it haunted ?

bopdude
15-06-2004, 08:41
Thanks Paul. The bad news is its turned itself on again overnight, Doh !
Wake on Lan is disabled and 'allow this device to bring the computer out of standby' is unchecked for the network card in control panel. Any other ideas or is it haunted ?I don't know for sure but have heard rumours \ tales of certain trojan's that can do this :shrug: have you ran any spyware \ trojan, virus scans ???

Might be worth a shot............. just a thought :)

Mr K
15-06-2004, 08:46
No viruses according to my latest scan. I've got something called 'PME event wake up' settings enabled in my bios power management settings, what is this and would I be safe to disable it ?

Bifta
15-06-2004, 08:56
No viruses according to my latest scan. I've got something called 'PME event wake up' settings enabled in my bios power management settings, what is this and would I be safe to disable it ?

PME = Power Management Event, e.g. pressing a key, moving the mouse etc when the machine is in power saving mode. It could be that you have a dicky power supply possibly.

altis
15-06-2004, 11:01
When you switch off tonight disconnect the ethernet lead as well. If it still comes on overnight then the problem isn't your broadband connection.

TheBlueRaja
15-06-2004, 12:51
I had this with my last gigabyte board, the Caps Lock light on my keyboard would sometimes stay on when i shut down, and i noticed that a few hours later, it would mysteriously just "boot-up".

I sent an e-mail to gigabyte claiming my board was haunted (no joke) and they replaced it for me.. :D

That was also nothing to do with my BB connection but i thought it was the wake on lan too.

paulyoung666
15-06-2004, 18:38
have you got a dial up modem installed and connected , if you have i believe it is possible for that to wake up a pc :erm:

Stuartbe
15-06-2004, 18:45
I have often seen " magic packets " floating arround the NTL network. The magic packet is a type of packet that the network card looks for and will signal the motherboard to power up when recived. If your network card is inbuilt then turning the WOL " wake on lan " option off is your only way to go. If the network is plugged into the motherboard then you should see a small 3pin 3 core cable from the card to the motherboard, Removing this cable will resolve the problem.

HTH

Scrubbs
15-06-2004, 19:09
I have often seen " magic packets " floating arround the NTL network. The magic packet is a type of packet that the network card looks for and will signal the motherboard to power up when recived. If your network card is inbuilt then turning the WOL " wake on lan " option off is your only way to go. If the network is plugged into the motherboard then you should see a small 3pin 3 core cable from the card to the motherboard, Removing this cable will resolve the problem.

HTH:D they haven't got magic beans in them have they?
( my mother warned me about people with magic beans):D

paulyoung666
15-06-2004, 19:46

HTH

hes back :nworthy: :D :D :D

mrmassive
16-06-2004, 00:24
just pull the plug and if it still powers on then theres a ghost so either call a priest or even scooby doo or slimer from ghost busters lol

dragon
16-06-2004, 00:33
prob a silly question but you dont have the wakeup feature on in the bios i mean the one to make it to come on at a certian time?

swtich on at time xx:xx

espacally as you say it comes on around midnight :confused:

Scrubbs
16-06-2004, 02:57
I had broadband installed last week (am running Windows 2000 with an ethernet connection). Mysteriously my PC now powers itself on overnight, anybody got any ideas on why this is and how I can stop it happening ? Thanks
pull the plug out of the wall:D that will stop it switching on

Mr K
16-06-2004, 10:10
I had this with my last gigabyte board, .
Thats a coincidence this is a gigabyte board ..... Anyway since i disabled 'PME wake on' in BIOS alls been quite on the Western front... (Bet its quitely switching itself on at home as i type, cheeky little blighter....)

Anyway if does it again pulling the plug out of the wall is the next option and if it still does it then I've discovered a permanantly renewable energy supply and solved most of the world's energy/environmental problems :)

Halcyon
16-06-2004, 10:55
LOL

Good luck in getting it sorted.