PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Query

DrToxic
10-06-2004, 17:11
Hi all,

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but I couldn't find anything else on the topic, so here goes.

I've turned my Nan into a bit of a silver surfer - she's 79 and after giving her my old computer a couple of years back, she's ALWAYS surfing and emailing her friends. Anyway, she's so addicted to her computer and the Internet that she's always asking me to upgrade it for her and she has recently told me that the time has come for her to get broadband.

At the moment, she has NTL phone and analogue TV. I was wondering if it's possible to have broadband with analogue, or if she would need to upgrade to digital. I don't think she can really afford to upgrade her TV package because she's on a pretty good deal at the moment - one of the old analogue packages for about £10 p/m for her phone and TV. However, if she had to upgrade, she would be paying roughly an extra £27 per month (Base Pack inc. phone for £19 + £17.99 for 150k 'broadband'), which she wouldn't do.

If this is the case, an alternative may be for her to cancel her current package and just stick with the phone (for £9.50 p/m). She doesn't live in a Freeview area but if it comes to it, I can fit her a new aerial which resolves the TV problem. However, is it possible to have broadband with just a phone line?

If anyone could advise me, I would be extremely grateful.

Earl of Bronze
10-06-2004, 17:21
Hi DrToxic,

As far as I know it is possible to get BB with the analogue service. Though the old saying does hold true, if in doubt phone up and ask.

One bit of advice I would give you is to fit a NIC to you're nans puter if it doesnt already have one. From personal experience, this will ease the install and and configuration process for the BB connection.

Goodluck.

EoB.

Oh and welcome to the forum. ;)

paulyoung666
10-06-2004, 17:24
hi DrToxic and :welcome: to the forums , the first question would be is she in an digital cabled area , if not , how about adsl instead ????????? :D

Mick
10-06-2004, 17:26
Hi DrToxic,

Your nan should be able to get a SACM (stand alone cable modem) with the broadband package and still be able to retain her analogue TV and phone package. Ring customer services on 0800 052 2000 to enquire about this.

As the Earl of Bronze says above, go for the NIC option if possible.

DrToxic
10-06-2004, 17:40
Thanks for all the replies.

I'll definitely go for the NIC option - I've got broadband myself and I've always used an NIC. I never bother with the BB installation CD either. I've got loads of spare cards floating around so that won't be a problem.

I'll give CS a call tomorrow - I just thought I'd post on here first cos I know CS have been having huge technical problems with their computer system over the past couple of days.

Thanks again :)

paulyoung666
10-06-2004, 17:42
still assuming you are in a digital cabled area :)

Mick
10-06-2004, 17:48
still assuming you are in a digital cabled area :)

Which is why he has been advised to call CS to enquire about it. ;)

Better still it may be quicker to go here (http://sales.ntl.com/newdesign/newindex.jsp?new=Y&cust=ntlhome_splashinternet) to check availability.

Also new broadband customers get 3 months half price on all speeds. :)

Chris W
10-06-2004, 18:08
DrToxic... pm me the postcode and i will check the availability for you.

MB

DrToxic
10-06-2004, 18:18
According to the ntl:home website, she is in a digital cabled area (assuming the site is reliable) - I checked that the other day. If the site isn't particularly reliable, I'll PM her postcode to you Monkeybreath when I get home - I can't remember it off the top of my head.

DrToxic

paulyoung666
10-06-2004, 19:21
Which is why he has been advised to call CS to enquire about it. ;)

Better still it may be quicker to go here (http://sales.ntl.com/newdesign/newindex.jsp?new=Y&cust=ntlhome_splashinternet) to check availability.

Also new broadband customers get 3 months half price on all speeds. :)

ok ok i have had a real bad day and i dont need you picking on me at the first opportuninty , leave me alone or i will end up sitting in the corner of some ward somewhere muttering to myself ;) :D :D :D :D :D

MetaWraith
10-06-2004, 20:11
Hi DrToxic,
Your nan should be able to get a SACM (stand alone cable modem) with the broadband package and still be able to retain her analogue TV and phone package. Ring customer services on 0800 052 2000 to enquire about this.
As the Earl of Bronze says above, go for the NIC option if possible.
She certainly aught to be able too, that's what i've got :)

If possible have customer services do the registration at their end rather than using the CD and everything screwing up when it tries to tatoo the browser.

[BorgMaster]
11-06-2004, 11:29
DrToxic... pm me the postcode and i will check the availability for you.

MB

Question - could you check an area for me? I would be very grateful :D

The other question is - how accurate is this in comparison with the website checker?

Chris W
11-06-2004, 12:19
']Question - could you check an area for me? I would be very grateful :D

The other question is - how accurate is this in comparison with the website checker?

yes i could...

and it is more accurate than the website- the website may be wrong about some areas, but the tool at work will not! ;)

[BorgMaster]
11-06-2004, 17:36
yes i could...

and it is more accurate than the website- the website may be wrong about some areas, but the tool at work will not! ;)

So now its a matter of ... would? hehe. Would you mind checking 2 areas for me? ie: one that I am at currently, and a new address please? :)

I'll be eternally grateful :D

Chris W
11-06-2004, 17:58
']So now its a matter of ... would? hehe. Would you mind checking 2 areas for me? ie: one that I am at currently, and a new address please? :)

I'll be eternally grateful :D

postcodes! i can only check things if i have postcodes!!! let me know them and i will check them for you

MB

badnbusy
12-06-2004, 08:48
You can also use www.dslzoneuk.net/cablechecker.php

This checks the ntl database (usually more up-to-date than the one on their site!) if you can specifically get broadband.