PDA

View Full Version : An actual solution to spam!

JonathanLH
10-06-2004, 01:11
I get at least 100 emails per day through my ntl account, and i got to the stage whereby i would willingly pay to have all the spam deleted.
So i hit google and found http://www.spam-stop.co.uk this company POP3's your email down from ntl, deletes the spam (viewable on their website) then you just POP3 the mail down from their server.
The amazing thing is, it actually works, I was very surprised and best of all it is free atm, but they are thinking of charging £5/month in the future, which i would gladly pay to save at least 30 minutes a day going through spam.
Since i've done this, i've not had any spam. The only thing that was marked as spam when it wasn't was regular mailing list stuff from dabs and tomshardware, so i set those to always allow on the website.

Shaun
10-06-2004, 02:27
I get the same service from Yahoo. I'd never use an ISP based account for my main mail again ;)

Electrolyte01
10-06-2004, 07:32
Well your lucky, Hotmal is full of stupid spam. I get at least 20 a day, and the thing is theres no "unsubscribe" button, which really ticks me off. Sometimes that button doesn't even work, which gets me really :grind: at times.

ian@huth
10-06-2004, 12:19
Well your lucky, Hotmal is full of stupid spam. I get at least 20 a day, and the thing is theres no "unsubscribe" button, which really ticks me off. Sometimes that button doesn't even work, which gets me really :grind: at times.
I get more than 20 spam messages a day on my NTL accounts even though I take care with my email addresses and use Mailwasher. The "unsubscribe" button on most sites should be renamed as the "I want even more spam" button, don't use it.

Salu
10-06-2004, 12:27
I would try Spamnet rather than the above. They charge just over a £1 a month and don't download your email but just removes the offending email from your inbox. The database is composed of their research and from feedback from all spamnet's 1,000,000 users. When a spam is not automatically caught you mark it as spam. This then informs spamnet and with enough votes globally classes it as spam so that it is captured in everyone's inbox.

Works well and captures about 98% of your spam.

You can try it for 30days.

http://www.cloudmark.com/products/spamnet/

SMHarman
10-06-2004, 12:58
I get at least 100 emails per day through my ntl account, and i got to the stage whereby i would willingly pay to have all the spam deleted.
So i hit google and found http://www.spam-stop.co.uk this company POP3's your email down from ntl, deletes the spam (viewable on their website) then you just POP3 the mail down from their server.
The amazing thing is, it actually works, I was very surprised and best of all it is free atm, but they are thinking of charging £5/month in the future, which i would gladly pay to save at least 30 minutes a day going through spam.
Since i've done this, i've not had any spam. The only thing that was marked as spam when it wasn't was regular mailing list stuff from dabs and tomshardware, so i set those to always allow on the website.

For £10 a year you could switch to i-websolutions mail servers (when they work?) I'm on their Kestral server so I don't know what the sparrow server problems are doing to pop mail. This marks all spam with a nice {Spam?} at the start of the header. You then set up a rule in your mail app to deal with it as you will. I automatically move it to a junk mail folder for review, you could just delete it at source, but it might just have customer mail in it so I need to check.

Foo Fighter
10-06-2004, 13:26
Outlook 2003 blocks 99.9% of spam, this is the ammount of junk sent in the last 4 days

Paul
10-06-2004, 16:58
There are many free programs that will scan your mail as it comes in - as I have mentioned before I use PopFile.