PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Camcorder

Tricky
23-07-2003, 21:43
I'm in the market for a new camcorder (not worried about cost as Credit card is taking the hit! - There's a flaw in my plan I know)
Features I'm looking for:
Must be digital
Must be DV In & Out (PC is already enabled)
Must be small (ish)
Must be able to take stills (not over worried about 2+mp)
Would like stills on a memory card (Sony, CF, SD, etc.)
Would like low light capabilities
Would like a deal that gives a extra battery and tapes
Would like seperate charger rather than power into camcorder to charge
Not bothered about Sepia, wipe, mirror although they all seem to have these features now.

Can you recommend a model?
Why would you recommend it?
Do you know of websites that allows comparison side by side?

ntluser
25-07-2003, 16:09
Originally posted by Tricky
I'm in the market for a new camcorder (not worried about cost as Credit card is taking the hit! - There's a flaw in my plan I know)
Features I'm looking for:
Must be digital
Must be DV In & Out (PC is already enabled)
Must be small (ish)
Must be able to take stills (not over worried about 2+mp)
Would like stills on a memory card (Sony, CF, SD, etc.)
Would like low light capabilities
Would like a deal that gives a extra battery and tapes
Would like seperate charger rather than power into camcorder to charge
Not bothered about Sepia, wipe, mirror although they all seem to have these features now.

Can you recommend a model?
Why would you recommend it?
Do you know of websites that allows comparison side by side?

The Sony DCR-PC120BT is the model I hope to go for next year. I recommend it because it has all the features mentioned plus Bluetooth capability. It's well worth a look.

You can try the Kelkoo or Dealtime sites for prices but I just popped the camcorder name into the google website (www.google.co.uk) and you get a whole pile of links to choose from. You can get it for less than £900.

You could probably negotiate a price for all your extras. The cheapest price you find will be matched by Jessops High Street shops if you can supply details of where you were intending to buy from.

Hope this helps.

TigaSefi
25-07-2003, 16:15
I just brought a digital camcorder by sony. It at home now waiting for me to open it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008AQAY/ref=br_lf_ce_4/026-1521317-6666855

SMHarman
25-07-2003, 16:53
I've the Cannon MV530i Nearest UK equivilant at the mo is the MV650i

Very happy with it, though bought a jessops external £20 mike as it reduces the motor noise considerably. Picture quality fantastic for the price.

Connects to my mother in laws mac and Imovie and my XP M$ movie maker hapily.

These recommendations give an interesting point. Have you picked any of these cameras up?

You need to decide whether you want a mini upright style camera or a palm shaped camera.

If money and size are no object then the Canon DM-XL1s Professional Mini DV Camcorder is the one for you. Broadcast quality this one.

I got mine from Nomatica.co.uk. Its a french company, the cameras seem to be way cheaper on the continent. Delivered insured by FedEx so no problem there. Got a free extra large battery in the price which was significantly reduced.

paulyoung666
25-07-2003, 18:22
Originally posted by SMHarman
I've the Cannon MV530i Nearest UK equivilant at the mo is the MV650i

Very happy with it, though bought a jessops external £20 mike as it reduces the motor noise considerably. Picture quality fantastic for the price.

Connects to my mother in laws mac and Imovie and my XP M$ movie maker hapily.

These recommendations give an interesting point. Have you picked any of these cameras up?

You need to decide whether you want a mini upright style camera or a palm shaped camera.

If money and size are no object then the Canon DM-XL1s Professional Mini DV Camcorder is the one for you. Broadcast quality this one.

I got mine from Nomatica.co.uk. Its a french company, the cameras seem to be way cheaper on the continent. Delivered insured by FedEx so no problem there. Got a free extra large battery in the price which was significantly reduced.

brother in law has one and after having a play with it , i was well impressed ;)

Tricky
31-07-2003, 22:28
Going for the Sony - £697... Not bad when jessops have it at £999

ntluser
01-08-2003, 06:30
Going for the Sony - £697... Not bad when jessops have it at £999

Assuming it's new, rather than second-hand that's quite a price reduction. Which Sony did you go for in the end and where did you get it from please?

Tricky
01-08-2003, 18:22
Sony DCR-PC120 and from Jessops (good old price match!)

yesman
01-08-2003, 19:24
Try here (http://shopping.msn.co.uk/b2b/shopbot/search.jsp?partner=msn&catId=123701&category=consumer&type=Camcorder+/+Digital&catPath=uk/consumerElectronics&manufacturer=Sony&product=ok&ocsTitle=+Sony+Digital+Camcorders+Under+%3F499&id=100796477&minprice=50&maxprice=499)

ntluser
01-08-2003, 19:31
Sony DCR-PC120 and from Jessops (good old price match!)

Brilliant, a great price and a Jessops store nearby if something goes wrong or you need help.

Jessops price match is really good. Where did you get the £697 quote from please?

Tricky
04-08-2003, 21:59
Sorry mislead you on the information - It was the dcr-pc105 same prices though! - Jessops were not able to match the price originally until I pointed out there advert in every shop about price promise - to which they pointed out that I was more than the allocated mileage away from the local shop! - I said "Fine, I'll drive 20 minutes to your Leeds store and then I will be in distance", head office then OK'd my price reduction of over 30%

They originally offered me their best price £768 and would give me 5 blank tapes - yeah right!!!! - £697 mate...

Price match was with a company called "Jones of Oakwood" www.jonesofoakwood.co.uk

I now reckon that with my camcorder and digital camera i've saved over £500 at jessops and you're right - very local store so I can go back...

ntluser
05-08-2003, 09:43
Sorry mislead you on the information - It was the dcr-pc105 same prices though! - Jessops were not able to match the price originally until I pointed out there advert in every shop about price promise - to which they pointed out that I was more than the allocated mileage away from the local shop! - I said "Fine, I'll drive 20 minutes to your Leeds store and then I will be in distance", head office then OK'd my price reduction of over 30%

They originally offered me their best price £768 and would give me 5 blank tapes - yeah right!!!! - £697 mate...

Price match was with a company called "Jones of Oakwood" www.jonesofoakwood.co.uk

I now reckon that with my camcorder and digital camera i've saved over £500 at jessops and you're right - very local store so I can go back...

Thanks for the info, Tricky. Glad that it worked out well for you. Hope I get that lucky next year.