PDA

View Full Version : Proxy server in Bracknell area

Fred_Smith
06-06-2004, 16:56
Hi, Is anyone aware of an issue with the proxy server in the Winnersh/reading/bracknell area? When I set my browser to automatically detect settings I cannot access any websites, but if I manually set the proxy it works....

Cheers

homealone
06-06-2004, 17:10
Hi Fred Smith :welcome: to the forum.

afaik the 'automatically detect settings' isn't to do with the proxy setting

- check out what Robin Walker says here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/basicset.html)

- have you tried with the automatic detect disabled, but without specifying a proxy?

- otherwise if setting an explicit proxy works, then go with that. :)

MetaWraith
06-06-2004, 17:33
Over the last 4 days there have been several outages within the Winnersh area. It could be you are suffering from that. I know I am. Right now the connection is up and down more often than a whores drawers.

Tech Support cant do anything either, aparantly while an outage is listed against the area they cant book an engineer callout. :-(

Fred_Smith
06-06-2004, 17:43
I tried without the automatic detect unset, but get the same problem

homealone
06-06-2004, 17:50
I tried without the automatic detect unset, but get the same problem

ok - bearing in mind what Metawraith has said, it looks like you have to stay with setting an explicit proxy, for now. :)

Fred_Smith
06-06-2004, 18:05
ok thanks

Paul
06-06-2004, 19:14
Hi, Is anyone aware of an issue with the proxy server in the Winnersh/reading/bracknell area? When I set my browser to automatically detect settings I cannot access any websites, but if I manually set the proxy it works....

Cheers

You shouldn't use automatic detect - turn this option off and leave it off.

looselipsuk
06-06-2004, 20:36
You shouldn't use automatic detect - turn this option off and leave it off.

That goes completely against the advice by Robin Walker and I believe NTL as well.

Paul
06-06-2004, 20:58
That goes completely against the advice by Robin Walker and I believe NTL as well.

I wouldn't take any advice from NTL and I very much doubt Robin would give such advice.

In fact, from his site ;

Setting an explicit web proxy in Internet Explorer for Windows
The following procedure works on all Windows platforms running Internet Explorer 5.x/6.x, and the procedure for Internet Explorer 4.x is very similar:

Open Control Panel Internet Options (or, in IE, pull down menu Tools and select Internet Options...).
Click on the tab Connections.
Click on button LAN Settings.
UNcheck Automatically detect settings.
UNcheck Use automatic configuration script.
Check Use a proxy server but ensure that the boxes are left blank.
Click on button Advanced:
In the row HTTP fill in the name and port number of your chosen web proxy server (see above). It is essential that you do not select port 80, even if your chosen server offers a proxy service on that port.
Ensure that the other rows are left blank.
UNcheck Use the same proxy server for all protocols.
In the Exceptions box enter: 192.168.*
Click OK.
Click OK to exit LAN settings.
Click OK to apply the changes and exit Internet Options.
The last few stages in Advanced avoid using the proxy for Secure HTTPS and FTP traffic, and ensure that you retain local access to any cable modem diagnostics pages and to any NAT router setup pages, which typically use addresses in the range 192.168.xxx.xxx.

To return Internet Explorer to normal operation with no explicit web proxy:

Open Control Panel Internet Options (or in IE pull down menu Tools and select Internet Options...).
Click on the tab Connections.
Click on button LAN Settings:
UNcheck Automatically detect settings.
UNcheck Use automatic configuration script.
UNcheck Use a proxy server.
Click OK to exit LAN settings.
Click OK to exit Internet Options.

looselipsuk
06-06-2004, 22:20
I wouldn't take any advice from NTL and I very much doubt Robin would give such advice.

In fact, from his site ;

I must thank you for that as I had totally mis-read that part of Robin Walkers guide.

One is never too old to learn and one should never be afraid to admit ones mistakes.

Neil
06-06-2004, 22:52
Moved to Proxy Server Discussion Forum.