PDA

View Full Version : E Mail Not For Me etc...

Julian
06-06-2004, 15:50
Help Please... :)

I have recently received the following email...

This e-mail was generated automatically.
Information about -LARSENECBGQK- under: http://www.larsenecbgqk.com

-----
Errors:

249.94.197.186_does_not_like_recipient.
% 307: This_account_has_been_disabled_[#181].
% 336: Remote_host_said:_delivery_error

End
-----

The original mail is attached.

Auto-ReMail.System#: [larsenecbgqk]

+-+-+ X- Mail_Scanner: No Virus found
+-+-+ NTLWORLD- AntiVirus Service
+-+-+ http://www.ntlworld.com

The email has an attachment called "ReMailer.txt.com" - I haven't opened it (partly because I can't open attachments in outlook express, but that's another problem :) )

The email wasn't even addressed to me - it was addressed to "nheaven@ntlworld.com" :confused: :confused:

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

TIA

ian@huth
06-06-2004, 15:54
The email was probably sent to many people using BCC (blind carbon copy) and the bit about NTL scanning it and not finding any virus inserted by the sender to lull you into a false sense of security. I would just delete it.

XFS03
06-06-2004, 21:44
...The email has an attachment called "ReMailer.txt.com" - I haven't opened it (partly because I can't open attachments in outlook express, but that's another problem :) )...
Under 'tools' -> 'options' -> 'security', there is an option under virus protection, to "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus."

Untick this box to open attachments, but obviously, only open attachments if you are sure it is safe.

Pritch
06-06-2004, 22:13
Untick this box to open attachments, but obviously, only open attachments if you are sure it is safe.

Indeed. And any attachment ending with .com is definately not to be trusted. Same with .pif .scr .exe .bat .cpl and .dll. Actually, just don't trust anything from anyone.

What many of them do is give them an innocuous looking extention like .txt, and then slap an executable extension like the above on the end, such as thisisatextfilehonest.txt.scr

Paul
07-06-2004, 02:28
It is an example of the w32.sober.g worm. Delete it.

Julian
07-06-2004, 06:23
Thanks for all your feedback guys. :tu: :)