PDA

View Full Version : Faster Upload???

Earwig
06-06-2004, 10:59
Does anyone know of an I.S.P that has a faster upload than 256kb/s??

I have been looking for a new service since the stallin by NTL on the line upgrades.
I have looked at plusnet and Bulldog and am thinking about plusnet's 2MB uncapped line but the upload is still only 256kb/s and I could really use something faster.
Bulldog have a 400kb/s upload but only on the central london exchange.

The only other options I have found is sdsl but at £180p/m for 1024kb/s up and down it is to expensive and out of the equation.

I doubt if there are any out there but just thought I would ask.

Oh and I live in the Northants........

Tnx in advance! :)

Chris W
06-06-2004, 14:34
Short answer: no.

Long answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooo

I can't think of a single residential service that has upload higher than 256k. There are business services that you can get, but as you mentioned they are hideously expensive.

MB

Earwig
06-06-2004, 14:58
Yeah and did I mention the £500+ set up and connection costs aswell? LOL

Not sure about anyone else but I would rather they gave us higher uploads than just upping the download speeds........

Paul
06-06-2004, 18:16
Bulldogs 4mbps & 6mbps residential services have a 400k upstream - limited locations though.

http://www.bulldogdsl.com/residential/home.asp

Earwig
09-06-2004, 21:23
Well it seems that my phone line can only take 512k so I am stuck with NTL.

I phoned Plusnet and they said to ring BT as there was a problem on the exchange to my house.

Dialling 150 (BT) I got shunted and passed through about 3-4 departments all claiming they could not deal with me either becuase it was not their department or Plusnet was NOT a BT service.

When I finally got through to someone who sort of had a clue I explained to him my situation and what Plusnet had said about the line.

As soon as he heard the word "PLUSNET" he interupted me and said "OH YEAH.....A RIVAL SERVICE EH??"

From then on all I got was negative answers in short sharp bursts.

I was told that in no uncertain terms that my line would NOT take more than 512k so I could not get Plusnets 2MB service. I told him that Plusnet had said that there was a problem with the exchange and that is the reason I had called them? I was then asked if I thought that Plusnet knew more about my exchange than he did? He pointed out that he worked for BT and that unless somebody has been told something that he had not then the exchange was fine. I asked him if there would be any chance of an upgrade to the line at any time in the future? To this I was told NO!!

Was this guy talking crap? Or did I just find an unhelpfull idiot? Is there any other method that I can use to find out what speed my telephone line can take? I would love a faster service but it appears I may be doomed to a lousy 1MB that may or may not be upped to 1.5 sometime this year.........While Telewest get 3MB and even adsl is pushing 2MB from most i.s.p's now. :-(

Shaun
09-06-2004, 21:45
The guy at BT sounds like a complete ****, I'd ring again and ask them if they know anything about it.

Alternatively ring 17070 and check what length the line is, I think the limit is 3.2 kilometers for 2Mbit :)

DrAwesome
09-06-2004, 23:00
Is there any other method that I can use to find out what speed my telephone line can take? I would love a faster service but it appears I may be doomed to a lousy 1MB that may or may not be upped to 1.5 sometime this year.........While Telewest get 3MB and even adsl is pushing 2MB from most i.s.p's now. :-(

Use the Broadband checker in my post #62 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=5145&page=5) it will tell you what services you can have on your nearest local BT exchange, (you might be lucky & find that you exchange is datastream enabled). :)

If your after faster upload than 256k, Sdsl (Symmetric DSL) which is a single twisted pair line, carrying upto 2.3Mbit/s each direction on a duplex line.) is the way to go but it is limited to certain exchanges at the moment, and its already been stated unless you live somewhere like london & is mainly aimed at business's.

If you want to know more about your local BT exchange (want it to carry a faster service than it has at present) then do a search in this forum i'm sure there will be a post with a link telling you hopefully what you need to know.

Earwig
10-06-2004, 18:35
Thanks for the info.

Used the checker in your post and it said that my line can take 512kb/s download.

No mention of anything else. So I guess NTL is the only option for me at the moment. Hope they catch up the opposition in terms of speed pretty soon. Even ADSL is leaving them behind now.