PDA

View Full Version : Help with registering wireless router

michaelk69
06-06-2004, 10:28
Hello all,

Just joined this forum today as I am at my wits' end with ntl, and I am hoping someone here can help me?

I am using a Mac Powerbook, and so I registered via a direct Ethernet connection between my Mac and the STB. That went okay-ish, I can now access the Internet (obviously) by this method.

However, I cannot seem to get my wireless (netgear) router to work? I've read all the advice here, and so have tried to access various ntl pages via the router in order to register it, but to no avail.

Ive tried start.ntl, 80.5.178.26, 80.5.172.26, 172.16.30.35, 172.16.30.83/84 . . . I can't connect to any of these via the router. I only get as far as the 'click here to log in' page, but then I click and nothing happens . . . my blue status bar gets about 1/4 way across the URL (as if the page is trying to load) and then stops.

Ironically, the router was working a few days ago with a snazzy new silver Samsung STB, but there was a fault with the box, so they have come back to me with a dark grey old one, and told me that I would need to re-register for broadband because of the new box.

With this latest (second) box, I had to use one of those Ethernet 'crossover' adapters (not even sure what that is?) and was wondering if maybe that is frying the router's brain (the Samsung box just had a plain ol direct Ethernet connection; no adapter needed)

Any ideas? Anyone??

Thanks very much for any help you can give!!

badnbusy
06-06-2004, 11:00
Crossover/no crossover shouldnt matter - the router "should" autodetect.

The correct address to re-register the STB is https://autoreg.autoregister.net

A standalone cable modem must be a better option in this case tho....

SMHarman
06-06-2004, 12:08
Do you get access without the wireless router in place - a wired connection from the PC to the STB?

ian@huth
06-06-2004, 12:23
Do you get access without the wireless router in place - a wired connection from the PC to the STB?

I refer the honourable gentleman to post#1 for the answer to his question. :D

Welcome to the site michael. :welcome:

Not knowing the first thing about macs I will leave this to others but have you tried cloning the NIC mac address into the router?

SMHarman
06-06-2004, 12:49
OK I'll ask again, can you get to those registration pages with the current STB and a wired connection.

As you are using a STB, this might be a MAC address cloning issue. The registered MAC being that of your Mac. You may need to clone this onto the router before it talks properly to the STB.

This may not need to occur with the Samsung as I think this basically has a separate CM installed inside rather than it being part of the DTV hardware. Proppin or someone with STB knowledge could clarify that.

So I would look into getting the MAC id of your Macs NIC card and cloning it onto the Router.

EDIT
:dunce: Reading that Ian just wrote this too!

michaelk69
06-06-2004, 13:20
Thanks very much everyone. Well, yes, I can get Internet access if I plug one end of the Ethernet cable into my laptop, and the other end into the back of the STB. That is how I am communicating with you now.

So . . . then I power everything down, remove the Ethernet cable from the back of my laptop and plug it into the router instead. Power up the STB, wait for solid green lights, etc etc, and then power up the router. The interesting/infuriating thing is that the router *seems* to be happy and busily working away . . . the only clue being that my usual 'activity' light is glowing/flickering pale orange instead of pale green. The router documentation tells me that means it is sending/receiving at 10Mbps instead of 100 . . . but as far as I can tell it isn't sending/receiving at all, as I can't access the Web via the router, plain and simple (couldn't even access the https://autoreg site). Maybe the flickering orange light is a clue to the more technical minded amongst you??

As for cloning the MAC address of my Mac (hmm, now that does sound confusing!), yes I can do that as I do know that MAC address of my NIC card, but I don't know how to 'clone' it onto the router. Can anyone tell me how to do that easily/in plain English?

Sorry to be such a pain on my first day here, but you know how absolutely infuriating things like this can be, especially since it was working 100 percent FINE with the Samsung box YESTERDAY!! Aaargh!!

Any help gratefully received!!

Michael

SMHarman
06-06-2004, 13:39
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg

should do it...

Nutty
06-06-2004, 15:49
I had the same thing on my pc. I have a NAT router in place, and changed broadband tier. I simply could not re-register behind the router, I tried everything, DMZ, NAT and firewall disabling. I had to make a temporary direct connection straight into the STB to do it.

Bit annoying but not the end of the world...

zovat
06-06-2004, 23:54
As for cloning the MAC address of my Mac (hmm, now that does sound confusing!), yes I can do that as I do know that MAC address of my NIC card, but I don't know how to 'clone' it onto the router. Can anyone tell me how to do that easily/in plain English?

Any help gratefully received!!

Michael

Michael: :welcome: and I hope this is plain enough for you...

In a browser type the address 192.168.0.1.
Type admin for the username, password for the password, and click OK.
Go to : Basic Settings > Router Mac Address.
*Select Use this MAC Address.
*Stick in the MAC address
Click Test to make sure you are connected. If you are not connected, I am stumped :)

*if you only have the one computer attached - you can often just say "use computer MAC address", and it will automaticaly insert it into the field ;)

HTH

BarFly
07-06-2004, 00:46
Hi,

The registeration page for STB's is 172.16.30.84/83 ( start.ntl ), though can only be accessed without having a proxy specified & the STB assigning out a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.

When you check the router setup page, though if i remember correctly in OSX on the network page it will show the router ip, does it show what ip address is being assigned to the router, if it does it should start 10.xxx........ then you can get to the provisioning page.

the Best thing to do is :

power down everything then turn on in this order

STB > Router > MAC, this should allow you to get to the above provisioning page.......

Failling that do as above post suggests clone the MAC address off the NIC onto the router, then do the full power cycle as above

hope it helps

Barfly

Bill C
07-06-2004, 04:44
What area are you in

th'engineer
07-06-2004, 07:17
<Snip>

hi there if you have a crossover the STB is a 1000or 1000 derivate 1000B , you will probably have lots of fun with this box . :p:
I have had one of these and they dont like changes in temperature at local green cab they cant adjust to signal changes very well.:td:
The most reliable of the PACE is the 2000 STB, it works solidly with BB no problems at all. :tu:
The 4000 PACE is another story not as good as the 2000, not as good as the 1000 in my opinion. :td:
I have had NTL bring batches of these in the house to try to swap boxes, six in living room one time saved the tech going back and forward to the van again.:D
These usually lasted between 2-15 minutes before packing up:td: one lasted two weeks before it decided it did not like BB.:td:

My upload was seriously slowed down to 5kbps like having a 56K modem in.:td:

BTW what speed are you on, a Samsung with Problems:shocked: now thats interesting can you share these problems on the forum .:D

If in the north west please contact BIll C above he will help you:tu: if in another area its CS.

My apoligies to any NTL staff who are not happy with the content of this post , but guys its honest feedback from someone who has been there

Bill C
07-06-2004, 12:01
a Samsung with Problems:shocked: now thats interesting can you share these problems on the forum .:D

If in the north west please contact BIll C above he will help you:tu: if in another area its CS.

My apoligies to any NTL staff who are not happy with the content of this post , but guys its honest feedback from someone who has been there

If you read the post he does say it works but not with his router. So it is a config problem with the router that can be sorted by cloning the mac address. You do seem to want to find a problem with the samsung boxes :D .

th'engineer
07-06-2004, 12:38
If you read the post he does say it works but not with his router. So it is a config problem with the router that can be sorted by cloning the mac address. You do seem to want to find a problem with the samsung boxes :D . Unless misread said the router was working with the samsung but not the pace . Think we can help out here if belkin he needs to type 192.168.2.1 which takes him to the interface page to clone the address.

You are cruel to me sometimes Bill not trying to find fault just interested :LOL:

Bill C
07-06-2004, 12:41
Unless misread said the router was working with the samsung but not the pace . Think we can help out here if belkin he needs to type 192.168.2.1 which takes him to the interface page to clone the address.

You are cruel to me sometimes Bill not trying to find fault just interested :LOL:

i am :LOL:

michaelk69
15-06-2004, 13:36
Hello everyone!

So sorry to dissapear on you like that. I went off on holiday straight after my last post!

Anyway, a big HUGE thank you to everyone for being so nice and helpful. I tried *everything* as suggested, and in the end went out and bought a new router (ntl's suggestion, surprise, surprise!)

So, anway, it *might* have been the router . . . and I guess maybe it was . . . as all is well now.

Thanks very much for all your help, though, much appreciated!

Mike