PDA

View Full Version : [merged] PlusNet

joe2cool
02-01-2004, 19:55
Hi just wondered if anyone had used 'PLUSNET' ? any comments ?

Thx ! :)

Paul
02-01-2004, 20:41
My sister is on Plusnet [adsl] and afaik she has not had many problems.

joe2cool
02-01-2004, 20:45
My sister is on Plusnet [adsl] and afaik she has not had many problems.

Hi seems to be mentioned alot in mags.............ok ! thx.......take care ..... :)

soniz
02-01-2004, 20:53
I am on plusnet. Well happy. On the 21.99 pcm ADSL512 (ADSL Home package). All speed tests seem/appear as though I have a faster than 512 connection. Any problems encountered are short lived

The clincher for me was their customer support...they actually communicate both good and bad actions. Along with a mysql db, PHP, 250mb web, static IP, functionality to host own mail/smtp server made the whole package a great deal.

Stoo.

joe2cool
02-01-2004, 21:45
Sounds cool heard about their support ! ....cheeers !!

joe2cool
04-01-2004, 07:37
Hi again ....was the setup straight forward ?
Anyone could do ?

Matthew
04-01-2004, 08:47
Setup is straight forward and the support is really good and they are open 24 hours a day.

(I did already post but it looks like its been deleted)

joe2cool
04-01-2004, 10:25
Setup is straight forward and the support is really good and they are open 24 hours a day.

(I did already post but it looks like its been deleted)

Cheers !!! :)

Frank
04-01-2004, 22:58
My parents use Plusnet connect (http://portal.plus.net/my/mydiscount_info/landing_page.html?zWVl6A8AruuylVaHtkq2odOygYXtAaqp P8pbxICCYgI%3D) dial-up and they are very happy with it. The amount of features you get with it are truly amazing, including static IP's (on dial-up!), php/mysql/cgi webspace + free domain, and advanced mail handling.

Connection is very fast for dial-up too, and I assume that ADSL is of the same high standard. Highly recommended.

joe2cool
05-01-2004, 09:38
Cheers !! 4 that , take care !!

ntl customer
29-05-2004, 23:27
Just spotted this on ADSL Guide ...

http://www.plus.net/products/broadband_home.html

Base package - 4Gb capped - £31.99

Uncapped - £39.99

Seems great value compared to ntl's 1Mbit package ;)

Paul
30-05-2004, 00:16
Hmm - that 1Mbit looks good at £23.99 - I never get near 1GB normally - nevermind 2GB. :)

trebor
30-05-2004, 09:50
that looks good. who's using plusnet then, are they good?
what's the minimum contract? I like to try before I buy

keithwalton
30-05-2004, 10:47
I use plusnet and i have found them to be excellent, speed is allways there and reliability is top notch, there online service status thing is rather quick and informative and when ever i've posted a question to them they've got back to me within a couple of hours (online postit like notes).
I've never had to call them with a problem and they even called me about 6 months ago (6months into contract i suppose) to see how everything was going and do a user satisfaction survey.

I must note i'm on there 2mbit service (homeworker thing its currently £65.99 a month reducing it would be nice)

I believe they offer 12 month and 1 month contracts with the latter being slightly more expensive

K

Almost forgot, if you do sign up use the referal 'damnthebroccoli' as it knocks money of my bill if you do :-) and yes the username is in tribute to family guy (stewie)

ozziestu
30-05-2004, 11:03
Ntl could take some tips from Plusnet. Their new packages just introduced has some simple and clever thinking behind them.

They have got a 2mb package for £31.99 with a 2gb per month cap. BUT you can get extra gb for £1.50 each - ok i guess. But here's the simple and clever bit for power users - pay £8 per month extra and have a totally uncapped service. So, £39.99 per month will get you a 2mb uncapped package.

Now Ntl may have thought they had a lead on the market by keeping up with Telewest, but suddenly they have fallen behind again. I guess whatever Ntl do will never be right for a percentage of users but surely they must realise that the broadband market is changing at a rapid pace - and they have to be clever to keep up with the pack.

Be careful Ntl, Dsl is snapping at your heels again - and you haven't implemented the last speed increases yet.

Ignition
30-05-2004, 11:48
Hope you aren't a heavy user Mr Walton we'll be sharing the same pipe out of the exchange if you are anywhere near the Uni's Highfield campus :p

keithwalton
30-05-2004, 11:58
hehe, im on the hamble exchange (which is hidden somewhere by langhorn road which is off burgess road) and have been since last july. Not really a heavy user, the connection is split 4 ways in the house so we needid the speed and could afford it. we might be switching to the £40 option though. Considering the high density of students in the area speeds on adsl are good. Though i am on a 20:1 contention thing.

Be on the lookout for wireless networks in the area theres lots of them and i dont know how secure they are.

K

etccarmageddon
30-05-2004, 12:09
NTL's 1.5mb service is £38 a month - so for an extra £2 a month you get 25% more plus no cap?

Ignition
30-05-2004, 15:30
hehe, im on the hamble exchange (which is hidden somewhere by langhorn road which is off burgess road) and have been since last july. Not really a heavy user, the connection is split 4 ways in the house so we needid the speed and could afford it. we might be switching to the £40 option though. Considering the high density of students in the area speeds on adsl are good. Though i am on a 20:1 contention thing.

Be on the lookout for wireless networks in the area theres lots of them and i dont know how secure they are.

K

Hamble's residential service was overstretched, BT had oversubscribed the exchange, fine now though afaik, and you being on the office package wouldn't have affected you.

That's no matter anyway, I'm on the Bassett exchange (just down the road from the uni) which by the looks of it serves Bassett + not a lot else and has always had loads of capacity free (I get full speed 24x7 and never ever anything below, the exchange has a phat 155Mbit pipe as it's part of the Southampton ring, and is well underutilised :D )

Give me a PM some time we have drinkies :)

keithwalton
30-05-2004, 22:51
I could imagine how easily the hamble exchange would get oversubscribed, what with literally rows of student houses. although clever ones that live on the roads right next to the engineering / chemistry side of the campus would be able to get them selves onto the wireless network, of which if its anything like the halls network was last year should be good

zoombini
01-06-2004, 16:36
Dragging up an oldun...

Anyone care to comment how good/bad Plusnet is recently?
(Oh go on Bifta, you know you want to).

Er indoors is letting me spend a wee bit more now so I can afford an activation fee & the extra's that you get with Plus-Net look attractive.

£21.99 PM does too, although I cannot find the page for the "Broadband Home Premier" package that lists all the extra's.

Bifta
01-06-2004, 16:38
Plus net's 2 meg is a lot cheaper than Nildram's, I contacted them about the free migration and they seem to be ok, sales line was open on a Bank Holiday too, so I'm moving to them in a months time.

zoombini
02-06-2004, 08:45
They changed thier packages on Friday, the home premier looks excellent now & the price is better than others even with the activation charge in.

Unfortunately the modem I ordered will take 14 days, but I'm in no hurry. (Dlink DSL-300T from Amazon). Cant be arsed to enter my details etc on another website, I'll give em a week & if its not arrived, cancel it..lol

keithwalton
02-06-2004, 20:22
:td:
I queried about changing over account type with plusnet online earlier, and they wanted to charge the activation cost again. Even though at present the two account types are identical (homeworker pro 2mbit and home 2000 premium) Although the latter with change to the bt home version when it becomes avaliable but thats not yet.
I dont see why we have to pay the activation charge again because they dont need to involve bt at all. I've asked them to explain why but i've found this page so i doubt there gonna change there mind on it http://portal.plus.net/support/faq/upgrade_guide.shtml#q7
We we're only considering it as it would save us £26 a month. Though that would take us a couple of months to recover by which time we may have found the service to be a load of rubish and want to change back

K
:td: (not particularly impressed) :td:

darkangel
02-06-2004, 20:31
NTL's 1.5mbhaven't see any 1.5mb yet have you?

Earwig
03-06-2004, 21:04
Just a quick n00b question.

I am going to move to plusnet I think but do not really want to use usb for my modem. Ethernet is apparentl faster at transfering high amounts of data.

My question is how would I connect this?

My motherboard is an MSI 875PNEO and includes a gigabit ethernet LAN could I connect it here? Or is this just for connecting pc to pc??

If I cannot do it this way what do I need to connect?? And what modem should I buy?? Is a more expensive one better?? IE: better and transferring faster etc.....

Or after all that......Is USB as good as ethernet or is ethernet indeed better?

Tnx in advance.

Bifta
03-06-2004, 23:21
Just a quick n00b question.

I am going to move to plusnet I think but do not really want to use usb for my modem. Ethernet is apparentl faster at transfering high amounts of data.

My question is how would I connect this?

My motherboard is an MSI 875PNEO and includes a gigabit ethernet LAN could I connect it here? Or is this just for connecting pc to pc??

If I cannot do it this way what do I need to connect?? And what modem should I buy?? Is a more expensive one better?? IE: better and transferring faster etc.....

Or after all that......Is USB as good as ethernet or is ethernet indeed better?

Tnx in advance.

If you buy an ethernet modem/router it'll probably come with an ethernet cable and full instructions on how to hook it up and configure it, normally it's very easy. Ethernet is better than USB as it doesn't use any CPU cycles (or at least anywhere near as many, unless you have one of the dodgy old 3 Com NICs)

trebor
09-06-2004, 23:46
what appears to be an even better offer
http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/home.php
£14.99 for 1mb

Tezcatlipoca
10-06-2004, 00:07
what appears to be an even better offer
http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/home.php
£14.99 for 1mb

Not bad. Although it has a 1 GB per month cap.

zoombini
10-06-2004, 08:06
Hmm, thats does look cheaper, but I wonder how good it actually is, how well the level of service etc compares?

Gareth
10-06-2004, 17:32
NTL's 1.5mb service is £38 a month - so for an extra £2 a month you get 25% more plus no cap?
call me pedantic, but it's actually a 33% increase for £2 p/month. ;)

trebor
11-06-2004, 14:33
Hmm, thats does look cheaper, but I wonder how good it actually is, how well the level of service etc compares?

they look ok here
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp

but has anybody got any experiences of them

zoombini
11-06-2004, 15:47
Are we on about Plusnet now or the other new one?