PDA

View Full Version : Losing emails

davesnapeuk
29-05-2004, 19:44
I am getting really hacked off now with NTL email.
I went onto webmail last night - noticed a few messages and though' I'll read those tomorrow'.

Guess what? Tomorrow comes and they've all disappeared!!

How many more email have I lost that I don't know about???
Spoken to NTL and they tell me that no one has lost any emails. I really wish I'd have taken a screen shot cos they don't believe what the punters are telling them!

This is getting beyond a joke now.

I'm having to chase IBM at the moment because the download link never arrived after an online purchase. Probably another email that just disappeared.
I think I'm just about to find out how hard/easy it is to move from NTL to someone else....

Tricky
29-05-2004, 20:23
Firstly welcome to the site.
How have you checked for your mail (the 2nd time) AFAIK if you view them online it marks them as read and therefore they will only be available online. Therefore if you are trying to get them via Outlook etc. then it will not retrieve them.

Might be wrong though!

maverick
29-05-2004, 20:31
I am getting really hacked off now with NTL email.
I went onto webmail last night - noticed a few messages and though' I'll read those tomorrow'.

Guess what? Tomorrow comes and they've all disappeared!!

How many more email have I lost that I don't know about???
Spoken to NTL and they tell me that no one has lost any emails. I really wish I'd have taken a screen shot cos they don't believe what the punters are telling them!

This is getting beyond a joke now.

I'm having to chase IBM at the moment because the download link never arrived after an online purchase. Probably another email that just disappeared.
I think I'm just about to find out how hard/easy it is to move from NTL to someone else....

I am not saying this is your problem but

There was a mail server problem this morning, a back up mail server has been brought online so historic e.mails stored on the original server will not show untill it is up and running again.

Peter_Stanley
29-05-2004, 20:47
This does appear to be connected with the mail server problems this morning as Maverick suggests. I had a number of emails that were sent to me this morning, but didn't appear in my mailbox until later this afternoon.

Reading emails using webmail shouldn't affect whether they are downloaded by an email client in my experience.

threadbare
29-05-2004, 21:22
a MSS went down this morning. all historical mails will reappear when this server is brought back online. it was still offline at 4pm when i left work.

hece no-one has lost any mails.

swoop101
29-05-2004, 22:17
does this explain why I am still getting messages that are 10 days or more old?

I have complained twice and heard bugger all from them.

threadbare
30-05-2004, 08:05
does this explain why I am still getting messages that are 10 days or more old?

I have complained twice and heard bugger all from them.
not sure what that is.

does anyone else have this problem?

swoop101
30-05-2004, 19:45
There we go, just got another one dated 17/05/04 15:56 from this forum about a post in the toothpaste thread by Bex.
FFS get the bloody thing fixed before I really get annoyed. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Paul
30-05-2004, 19:50
There we go, just got another one dated 17/05/04 15:56 from this forum about a post in the toothpaste thread by Bex.
FFS get the bloody thing fixed before I really get annoyed. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I have had a couple of e-mails from May 17th arrive in my Virgin account yesterday - mail sometimes get delayed - there is not much point in getting worked up about it. :)

Graham
30-05-2004, 23:23
I've just spoken on the phone to a friend who I e-mailed a couple of weeks ago but she was sure she'd never received it.

I'm wondering if more mails have gone astray :(

swoop101
31-05-2004, 09:28
I have had a couple of e-mails from May 17th arrive in my Virgin account yesterday - mail sometimes get delayed - there is not much point in getting worked up about it. :)

some of us actually get some important messages from people, so sometimes it is worth getting annoyed about.

ozsat
31-05-2004, 17:47
I've a few occasions where people are saying NTL are bouncing back my e-mails - just unable to deliver messages. Yet the e-mail address is fine.

Graham
31-05-2004, 17:50
some of us actually get some important messages from people, so sometimes it is worth getting annoyed about.

Indeed, some of us us e-mails as a major part of their business...! :(

Paul
31-05-2004, 17:58
Indeed, some of us us e-mails as a major part of their business...! :(
Anyone that uses e-mail for business should never rely on the free e-mail provided by an ISP, especially NTL's.

Mal
31-05-2004, 21:22
I've just looked at my ntl email online and there were 18 spams waiting for me since the 26th, yet nothing has appeared when I've used my email client.

I don't know if this is related, but using both OE and Thunderbird, it downloaded one message and then froze, saying that the server had timed out. All my other emails are okay. :shrug: