PDA

View Full Version : Is NAV 2004 Worth it?

Stu038
29-05-2004, 15:20
Time to renew the subscription for Norton Anti virus 2002 :(

2002 seems to be doing the job nicely at the moment, so is there any real benefit to upgrading to 2004? is it any good? or is it a case of don't touch it with your worst enemies PC ;)

Its £13.81 for another year for 2002 as opposed to £38.29 just for a spy ware checker and the ability to scan zipped files?

I seem to remember on .com last year several members advising folks to keep away from NAV 2003 is this years just as bad?

Your opinions as always gratefully accepted :D

Russ
29-05-2004, 15:28
I had NAV 2003 and it served me fine - never had a problem with it and it picked up each one of the viruses I was sent after someone posted my email address on a discussion forum.

Bought a new pc a few months back and it came with the OEM version of NAV 2004 and the only noticeable difference I found was the spyware checker.

NAV 2004 is good....but IMO not worth spending the extra cash. Stick with 2003.

downquark1
29-05-2004, 15:40
I'm still on NAV 2001

dilli-theclaw
29-05-2004, 15:43
I am using nav 2003 - and nav 2004 on various machines.

I think nav 2003 is just fine and not worth spending more unless you need to.

ntl customer
29-05-2004, 15:45
I'm still on NAV 2001

So am I.

I have always found that NAV 2002 onwards is severely bloated. Coloured 'OK' buttons and all other things that swallow up memory just plague the Norton line of products now - I wouldn't touch them with a 200 foot bargepole now because they are so bad.

Why do they have all this bloat? :mad:

Stu038
29-05-2004, 16:05
Why do they have all this bloat? :mad:

The cost of progress I suppose, the faster that processors and gfx cards get the more the programmers waste that power with gimmicks to impress the less technically minded :(

That said you can't beat a bit of electronic equipment with loads of LED's flashing away on it :D

Thanks for all the advice folks, looks like I'll just be renewing the subscription :)

abailey152
29-05-2004, 19:46
As long as 2002 does what you want, stick with it. I upgraded to 2004, and it's had one compatibility problem with another utility I used to run (I've now had to change because of this problem), and it does seem slower than 2002.

Graham
29-05-2004, 22:03
The question you need to ask yourself is "are the upgrades actually any use to me?"

I've got NAV 2003, but I use Adaware, free from Lavasoft, for Spyware checking and don't particularly have any need to check zipped files (if you're at all worried, always *manually* unzip them and then virus check them, don't run a self-extractor from an unknown source).

Unless you're really worried, I'd stick with what you have already.

Nutty
31-05-2004, 00:56
I really hate this kind of buisness model. If you have NAV2002, and pay yearly subscription, I dont understand why they dont upgrade it to NAV2003, and NAV2004 as well. Think its a bit cheeky that they dont.

I have NAV2002, and every soo often it seems to go pear shaped, so I'm currently just using my NAT router as protection on my pc.. kids pc still has it installed for parental control. Cant really be bothered to shell out for a new version of 2004.

Darren Wilson
12-06-2004, 01:05
Have used NAV since the days of DOS & never once had a problem with it. I upgrade every year to the latest version (same with any other software that I use on a daily basis).

MovedGoalPosts
12-06-2004, 01:15
There is some sort of dodge with NAV 2002, I beleive. Basically if you can delete any trace of it having been on your PC, then reload, you can get another years subscription to online updates for free. :erm:

It worked on my sister's PC which I just had to reformat cos it got completely borked with spyware and all sorts of junk that hadn't been cleared out since she bougth it 5 years ago (only used for occasional email and WP work so she don't need to upgrade for now).

On that basis NAV 2002 is a good economic program, and probably not worth upgrading

Frank
12-06-2004, 02:10
Tried NAV2004, bloody awful. Now using mcafee av 8.

carlingman
12-06-2004, 03:02
There is some sort of dodge with NAV 2002, I beleive. Basically if you can delete any trace of it having been on your PC, then reload, you can get another years subscription to online updates for free. :erm:

It worked on my sister's PC which I just had to reformat cos it got completely borked with spyware and all sorts of junk that hadn't been cleared out since she bougth it 5 years ago (only used for occasional email and WP work so she don't need to upgrade for now).

On that basis NAV 2002 is a good economic program, and probably not worth upgrading

Similar here, so looks like NAV 2004 is the same.

Well after some problems with XP Pro myself which caused me to format and reinstall XP Pro I have just reinstalled NAV 2004.

Originally installed in Jan 2004 due to expire in Jan 2005 but after a reformat and reinstall it now expires in June 2005.

Tried NAV2004, bloody awful. Now using mcafee av 8.

Jeez someone shoot me as I am going to disagree with Frank.

NAV 2004 is great.

:D

Ps Frank hows life in Canada then.

Stu038
12-06-2004, 10:56

Done that a couple of times :blush: Unfortunately though, I've recently began to develop a bit of a conscience when it come's to software I use regularly :angel:

depressing really isn't it :(

Shaun
12-06-2004, 12:08
Jeez someone shoot me as I am going to disagree with Frank.

NAV 2004 is great.

:D

Ps Frank hows life in Canada then.

BANG!!!!!

I'd have to agree, I'm still on 2003 but I find NAV great, but then again its simple like me too.

Oh, and nice to see you about again Frank ;)

stuey82
12-06-2004, 13:13
Im using a free trial of 2004 and it seems pretty good at the moment. Found a couple of virus's and got rid of them quickly and without any further problems. I have previously used NAV 2003 and can't really see the difference. As long as the virus definitions are updated there really isn't any need to upgrade the software. Well, not in my eyes anyways!!

TheBlueRaja
12-06-2004, 13:17
You can get the OEM version (i.e. just official CD with no manual or box) with a 1 year cd key from Ebay for 18.99.

And this is Norton Internet Security so this inlcudes Norton Personal Firewall AND Norton Anti-Virus, anti-spam etc.

Seems like quite a good deal.

E.g.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3805&item=3682326005&rd=1

BTW - this is NOT me :D Just in case your wondering.

stuey82
12-06-2004, 13:22
You can get the OEM version (i.e. just official CD with no manual or box) with a 1 year cd key from Ebay for 18.99.

And this is Norton Internet Security so this inlcudes Norton Personal Firewall AND Norton Anti-Virus, anti-spam etc.

Seems like quite a good deal.

E.g.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3805&item=3682326005&rd=1

BTW - this is NOT me :D Just in case your wondering.
Thank you for that...... Thats a well good price for what your getting! :dozey:

goldoni
22-06-2004, 18:16
A big yes. The interface of NAV 2004 is completely different and it does not change any seen settings in Outlook or Outlook Express, as 2001/2 NAV 04 is great, see if a local computer shop is selling the OEM version as itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s a lot cheaper. I picked up Norton Internet Security 2004 that has NAV 04 included the spam filter at default settings does itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s job really well and gets 98.9 of all the spam, now its been running for two weeks it only lets a few through and itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s dead easy to use. Again try to get the OEM version at about £36.00 the boxed version with a nice big yellow book £49.99 not worth the extra money as the information is on the web. :tu: :tu: I give it 9/10

Stuartbe
24-06-2004, 16:51
IMHO :-

Short answer - NO

Long answer - Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Resorce hungry and bloaty - Try e-trust or sophos :tu:

Nemesis
24-06-2004, 16:53

Short answer - NO

Long answer - Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sorry but I have :D to disagree, used Norton since very early days ... very good, never had a problem and runs like a dream :)

Stuartbe
24-06-2004, 16:54
Fair enough m8 :D

Have a look at the running tasks and see how much memmory it is munching !!!

My copy of e-trust is currently using 1.8mb of ram !

goldoni
24-06-2004, 18:45

Short answer - NO

Ok I'm always open to knowledage and I know enough about computers to be realy dangerous, me I would dump Norton if Dr Solomans was still about but they sold out to McAffe and I did stay with them for two years, but their scan seemed to slow my system down and it would stop working while it was scanning for a virus in the days of a AMD 500 with 32mb of RAM and Gig drives we could only dream of.

The Dr Solomans project was our last hope for Virus free PCs in our time.... It failed.... (Dramatic instrumental music) but in the year of the Virus wars it became something greater, our last and best hope for victory... The year is 2004, the system is Norton NAV you have arrived.

dilli-theclaw
24-06-2004, 18:48

HHHmmm - Well - I prefer Norton 2003 - still uses more memory than your's but I'm not that worried as I've just upgraded to 1gb.... So I may have some to spare :D

Shaun
24-06-2004, 22:00
HHHmmm - Well - I prefer Norton 2003 - still uses more memory than your's but I'm not that worried as I've just upgraded to 1gb.... So I may have some to spare :D

Snap, the odd 20Mb is nothing these days :)

Stuart
11-07-2004, 22:17
Sorry but I have :D to disagree, used Norton since very early days ... very good, never had a problem and runs like a dream :)Well, I recently switched to NAV2004 from McAfee. No particular reason apart from my McAfee licence is due to expire in the next month, and due to a system failure, I had to re-install XP and when I tried to re-install McAfee, it installed but then couldn't run because one of the DLLs was being corrupted.

And, according to Norton, there is no virus on my system.

Dave Stones
11-07-2004, 22:33
i used to use nav2002, but after getting mcAfee 8 free from the uni i noticed how much is absorbed resources like a sponge, NAV always seemed to take an age to start for me.

mcafee wasnt that great though, now i am using BitDefender Professional 7.2. is great, virus scan and basic firewall all in one ;)

Russ
11-07-2004, 22:37
I always had no complaints about NAV 2004 (see my earlier post) until recently when my system would lock up for about 5 seconds at a time. In Task Manager I could see that something gobbling my CPU's resources but could not identify what it was. I took the chance on it being NAV and uninstalled it, replacing it with NIS 2002. Since then, no freezing and everything has run smoothly.

Electrolyte01
11-07-2004, 23:39
I used to use NAV 2004, took forever to load up and used loads of disk activity up. Got my update CD from Microsoft, included a free 1 year trial of EZ Anti-Virus and EZ Fire Wall, installed the Anti-Virus and left the fire wall, unistalled NAV 2004 and got a huge performance increase :) . Even though EZ AV only uses about 2mb of my memory, it's fast as hell. Faster than NAV, and faster at scanning when requested. Updates are much smaller aswell, about 1.3mb for a virus definition update. So I wouldn't bother with NAV 2004 ;)

dilli-theclaw
12-07-2004, 00:00
I always had no complaints about NAV 2004 (see my earlier post) until recently when my system would lock up for about 5 seconds at a time. In Task Manager I could see that something gobbling my CPU's resources but could not identify what it was. I took the chance on it being NAV and uninstalled it, replacing it with NIS 2002. Since then, no freezing and everything has run smoothly.
Everything is running smoothly? - That's some kind of record isn't it ;):D

Russ
12-07-2004, 00:02
Famous last words methinks.... :D

Paul K
12-07-2004, 21:24
Famous last words methinks.... :D
Please don't toy with our emotions like that :p:
Some people will have no problems with NAV and then there is the rest of the planet ..... ;)

Ramrod
12-07-2004, 21:28
Tried NAV2004, bloody awful. Now using mcafee av 8.Me too....

gooner4life
12-07-2004, 21:29

I concur Id never let a Norton product anywhere near my PC

gooner4life
12-07-2004, 21:32
I used to use NAV 2004, took forever to load up and used loads of disk activity up. Got my update CD from Microsoft, included a free 1 year trial of EZ Anti-Virus and EZ Fire Wall, installed the Anti-Virus and left the fire wall, unistalled NAV 2004 and got a huge performance increase :) . Even though EZ AV only uses about 2mb of my memory, it's fast as hell. Faster than NAV, and faster at scanning when requested. Updates are much smaller aswell, about 1.3mb for a virus definition update. So I wouldn't bother with NAV 2004 ;)

I also swear by EZ Antivirus