PDA

View Full Version : How did I guess....

Charlie_Bubble
28-05-2004, 18:14
Last night I got some money from a cashpoint and was surprised to be overdrawn. Hmm, thought I, bet NTL have done it again and taken their direct debit, when I actually stopped the service a month ago!! I specifically called customer service last week to make sure I wasn't going to pay the bloody bill that arrived. "No, you'll only be paying the £23 you owe us" said the cs person. Strange how nearly £90 has been taken from my account! How can a company f**k up so often with billing. This is the 4th bill mistake they've made with my account! Well, they can whistle for their box which is supposed to be being picked up tomorrow, until I get my cash back! :mad: :mad:

paulyoung666
28-05-2004, 18:17
too late now but ......... , i always find it a good policy to cancel any direct debit when it is finished with , i have had a similar problem with legal and general demanding money for an endowment that no longer exists , i have rung them twice and told them but they still send remimders , i aint going to ring them again and wait until they try to take me to court just to f@ck them around for a change :tu:

Charlie_Bubble
28-05-2004, 18:26
Just called. They are sending me a cheque. Apparently they HAD to take the full amount out, god knows why. The other person told me they would only be taking £23 2 weeks ago. It would appear though, that if I had not called they would not have sent me any refund as she had to put notes on the system and fill out some form to get it for me. Wonder how many people are overcharged like this and never realise about it.

zoombini
31-05-2004, 10:18
This makes me glad that I never had a DD setup with them.
So theroetically they should not be able to do this to me too.

well in theory.. :D

Paul
31-05-2004, 11:31
If anyone takes the wrong amount from my account by DD I just tell my bank to reverse it as per the DD T&C's :)

TheBlueRaja
31-05-2004, 13:08
Just called. They are sending me a cheque. Apparently they HAD to take the full amount out, god knows why. The other person told me they would only be taking £23 2 weeks ago. It would appear though, that if I had not called they would not have sent me any refund as she had to put notes on the system and fill out some form to get it for me. Wonder how many people are overcharged like this and never realise about it.

In NTL's defence here, i had exactly the same thing with british gas recently. They had to take the full amount even though i owed them pittence. However they did get a cheque to me pretty quick.

Pain in the ass is having to cash it.

zoombini
31-05-2004, 13:19
If anyone takes the wrong amount from my account by DD I just tell my bank to reverse it as per the DD T&C's :)

And do the bank just say "Oh yes Pem, of course - no problem, we will do that straight away sir" and then do it, or do they insist on looking into it, making enquiries etc with the person taking the money etc before crediting your account?

Taking time, causing you hassle etc.

Paul
31-05-2004, 13:20
And do the bank just say "Oh yes Pem, of course - no problem, we will do that straight away sir" and then do it, or do they insist on looking into it, making enquiries etc with the person taking the money etc before crediting your account?

Taking time, causing you hassle etc.

They just do it.

zoombini
31-05-2004, 13:20
In NTL's defence here, i had exactly the same thing with british gas recently. They had to take the full amount even though i owed them pittence. However they did get a cheque to me pretty quick.

Why is it that these companies can always take maoney from us electronically, yet never credit it back the same way?

It takes time for a cheque to cash, electronically is instant.
Somethings wrong here..

Charlie_Bubble
31-05-2004, 13:24

How can you defend them when I had already phoned up and been assured that this exact situation wouldn't happen. I called the day I got a bill with a full amount on it, after I had already had the cable disconnected. I was assured that only the £20 odd quid would be going out. Then they take the full amount out and I have to call up and get someone to make the necessary adjustments to get a cheque out to me. I have no faith at all that a cheque for £68 would have automatically been generated and popped through my front door without my intervention. I speak from experience of NTLs billing system. Twice before I've had to call up and have money taken off my next bill after I've downgraded either broadband or tv packages and they've happily carried on taking the old amount. I've never had so many billing errors by a single company before.

BTW Not attacking you 'theblueraja'. Just pointing out that I think their case here is indefencible. :)

Charlie_Bubble
31-05-2004, 13:28
They're lucky I have an overdraft facility agree on my account and they didn't take me into the red and rack up charges.

TheBlueRaja
31-05-2004, 18:31
How can you defend them when I had already phoned up and been assured that this exact situation wouldn't happen. I called the day I got a bill with a full amount on it, after I had already had the cable disconnected. I was assured that only the £20 odd quid would be going out. Then they take the full amount out and I have to call up and get someone to make the necessary adjustments to get a cheque out to me. I have no faith at all that a cheque for £68 would have automatically been generated and popped through my front door without my intervention. I speak from experience of NTLs billing system. Twice before I've had to call up and have money taken off my next bill after I've downgraded either broadband or tv packages and they've happily carried on taking the old amount. I've never had so many billing errors by a single company before.

BTW Not attacking you 'theblueraja'. Just pointing out that I think their case here is indefencible. :)

Easy bud - back away from the raja - there's nothing to hit here ;)

Well, im just kinda pointing out that NTL arent the only ones to do that. Im not defending NTL for telling you they were only going to debit a smaller amount, that was wrong on their part.