PDA

View Full Version : wont work after format

forcer
28-05-2004, 13:40
i formated a friends computer, and ever since..broadband wont work, he has a low spec computer running win 98 but passes the minimum requirements. whenever we try to browse the internet it says it cant bring up a search page or something, when i tried to reinstall it using the broadband installer flash thing it says the dhcp server is not responding. he is using the ntlhome 100 or something and through usb it is shown in device manager as unknown and it wont seem to find any drivers on the installer disk, so i tried through ethernet but it still wont connect.

can anyone offer any help?

SMHarman
28-05-2004, 14:49
Keep it on the ethernet socket. Much more sensible on a W98 machine.

Check what services have been installed. TCP/IP should have been. Under networks in control panel.

start run ipconfig/release

start run ipconfig

forcer
28-05-2004, 15:39
yes TCP/IP is there, i will try it when i go back round, any other suggestions?

Chris W
28-05-2004, 15:48
check that the ethernet card is installed properly in the device manager as well. It should be classified as network adaptor.

Then go to start-> run -> winipcfg

you should have the nic in the drop down list- you are looking to get an ip address starting 62/80/81/82/213.

If the nic is not in the list it means it is not bound to tcp/ip so from network in the control panel, remove all of the items with tcp/ip, reboot and then try to add them again. It will prompt you for the win98cd or cab files.

If you are getting an ip address starting 192 check that the sync and rdy lights are on on the modem. If you are getting an ip starting 169, unscrew the coax cable from the modem and reboot the pc. Then try renewing the ip address. It should then pick up a 192 address.

hth
MB

SMHarman
28-05-2004, 15:48
Can you get a dialer to connect to the internet and surf by modem on the PC? Will establish whether the PCs TCP/IP stack is working properly.

Are SYNC and RDY on the SACM both on and stable?

greencreeper
28-05-2004, 21:57
Have you ran the Internet Connection Wizard? Selected the LAN/Manual option? Provided everything is connected correctly, you have the right drivers for the NIC and all the networking components are installed (client and TCP/IP), it should all work fine. It's a pretty simple setup using Ethernet.