PDA

View Full Version : Pipex ... Grrr

Nemesis
28-05-2004, 13:39
OK, which numpty said Pipex were good ...

We have a 2 Meg leased line for the Internet ... originally with XO networks.

These guys got taken over by GX Networks .... been with them for 3 years, no serious problems .... then Pipex bought them out....

Over the last 2-3 months, we have lengthy outages, including today :mad: .

Apparently a core router had/has a problem, and our link has been bouncing for the last 3 hours ... NOT IMPRESSED.

So for all those who are about to, or are already with Pipex ..... DON'T DO IT/CHANGE SUPPLIER

/Rant Over

Chris
28-05-2004, 13:41
[QUOTE=Nemesis]OK, which numpty said Pipex were good ...

Bifta, I hope you realise that hijacking a mod's login is a banning offence :D

Bex
28-05-2004, 13:43
Bifta, I hope you realise that hijacking a mod's login is a banning offence :D
:LOL:

see russ i told u he gets angry sometimes

hope it gets sorted soon nem :hugs: to relieve the tension

Bifta
28-05-2004, 13:53
Nem, sorry you're having problems, I can recommend from personal experience (if it helps) that leased lines from NDO are pretty reliable.

Neil
28-05-2004, 13:58
OK, which numpty said Pipex were good ...

These guys got taken over by GX Networks .... been with them for 3 years, no serious problems .... then Pipex bought them out....

Over the last 2-3 months, we have lengthy outages, including today :mad: .

Apparently a core router had/has a problem, and our link has been bouncing for the last 3 hours ... NOT IMPRESSED.

So for all those who are about to, or are already with Pipex ..... DON'T DO IT/CHANGE SUPPLIER

/Rant Over

Have you actually spoken to them Nem? If so, what have they said/advised?

Nemesis
28-05-2004, 14:05
Internet now recovered ... Yeah, I spoke to them ... "No ETA, diagnostics mode" .... waiting for incident report ;)

skyblueheroes
28-05-2004, 14:12
I said Pipex were good - no probs here !!!

Neil
28-05-2004, 14:25
I said Pipex were good - no probs here !!!

So did I. :erm: :Sprint:

ntl customer
28-05-2004, 19:49

Wasn't it GX that bought Pipex and decided to drop the GX brand in favour of Pipex Communications? :erm:

Maybe acqusitions aren't such a good thing after all - just look at Tiscali ;)

Charlie_Bubble
28-05-2004, 19:54
Wasn't it GX that bought Pipex and decided to drop the GX brand in favour of Pipex Communications? :erm:

Maybe acqusitions aren't such a good thing after all - just look at Tiscali ;)

Yep.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/03/gx_networks_to_buy_pipex/

Ignition
30-05-2004, 22:59
Pipex customer services suck in a massive way, email, webspace have the occasional outage, news is oversubscribed. But they tend to be fairly reliable and consistent in my experience. Great for just a pipe to the net, lousy for anything else.

Nemesis
01-06-2004, 08:22
Dear Customer,

Today at around 10:20 one of the distribution routers in the PIPEX core network developed a problem, causing leased lines connected to the router to lose connectivity. The distribution router had lost it's link to the node connecting to the core network. After around 10 minutes the connection came back up, but the connection flapped several times again until around 10:41.

PIPEX Core Networks team investigated the fault and suspected a possible problem with the Gigabit Ethernet Interface Processor (GEIP) on the distribution router. For this reason a new GEIP was sourced in case the failure happened again. At around 12:10 the problem occurred again, and so the new GEIP was transported to the Harbour Exchange data centre. At around 13:30 the new GEIP was installed into the router and the router was then rebooted. Once the router had finished rebooting leased line connectivity was restored.

PIPEX have opened a case with Cisco TAC to investigate why the problem occurred and to attempt to prevent it from happening in the future.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused by this.

Regards

PIPEX Communications Support

Chris
01-06-2004, 09:22
[/size]
If they'd posted this themselves on the forum I'd rep them for it. Seems like a genuine, helpful explanation.

zoombini
01-06-2004, 10:35
It does too.

Every ISP will have problems from time to time, equipment goes faulty, it can be hard to identify.
Not everyone will report problems so they go unnoticed by the ISP.

Yet again we see someone having problems & many others saying that they have had none.

Oh you guys make it so hard to choose an ISP.