PDA

View Full Version : Usb 2.0

grendel
27-05-2004, 11:22
Does anyone know if NTL broadband will only work with USB 2.0? I know it is much better to use ethernet, and in fact I could not connect with USB at all, but am wondering if this is beacuse I do not have USB 2.0. My PC is more than 2 years old, so it must be version 1.1 I have. If so I am a bit miffed. NTL do not say that to connect via USB you must have USB2.0.

Anyone know?

Bifta
27-05-2004, 11:24
Does anyone know if NTL broadband will only work with USB 2.0? I know it is much better to use ethernet, and in fact I could not connect with USB at all, but am wondering if this is beacuse I do not have USB 2.0. My PC is more than 2 years old, so it must be version 1.1 I have. If so I am a bit miffed. NTL do not say that to connect via USB you must have USB2.0.

Anyone know?

Sounds like crap to me, I had an NTL SACM running on USB 1.1 (albeit briefly until I bought a spare cat 5 cable)

andygrif
27-05-2004, 11:44
The two are interoperable anyway - so you can use USB 2 kit with a 1.1 connection, just at the lower speeds.

Also there would be little point in having USB2 cable modems becuase even the highest speeds you would get out of it are less than the throughput of the USB1.1. connection.

zovat
27-05-2004, 11:48

Anyone know?

You can definately connect the SACM to a USB 1.1 port - it is just a case of getting and installing the drivers...

Did you load the drivers supplied with the SACM, as I don't think any version of windows (or any other OS for that matter) comes with these drivers per-installed. :(
This is the only use for the Broadjump CD (other than as a coaster).

Paul
27-05-2004, 13:14
NTL now recommend you use Ethernet rather than USB anyway.

SMHarman
27-05-2004, 14:47
Does your PC have an ethernet socket, if it does use that first and you should not need to load any additional software as a further bonus.