PDA

View Full Version : NTL emails don't fare too well with Spampal

greencreeper
21-05-2004, 18:00
Just got an email from NTL. Spampal has gone to town on it :D The threshold is 500... :LOL:

X-RegEx-Score: 1010.2
X-RegEx-Warning: spam (1010.2 > 499.9)
X-RegEx: [100.0] FROM_AND_RECEIVED_DO_NOT_MATCH FQDN in From and Received header do not match
X-RegEx: [50.0] ACT_NOW act now
X-RegEx: [50.0] INVALID_HTML_NOT_CORRECT_BODY_LINK HTML Link ohne korrekten HTML Body
X-RegEx: [100.0] Body: EMail ohne persÃÃâ€*’¶nlic he Anrede
X-RegEx: [63.5] TO_ADDRESS_EQ_REAL To: repeats address as real name
X-RegEx: [48.9] CLICK_BELOW Asks you to click below
X-RegEx: [159.6] CALL_NOW Urges you to call now
X-RegEx: [0.0] CALL_FREE Contains a tollfree number
X-RegEx: [290.0] FREE_INSTALL Contains 'free installation' with capitals
X-RegEx: [33.7] OFFERS_ETC Stop with the offers, coupons, discounts etc!
X-RegEx: [78.6] ACT_NOW_CAPS Talks about 'acting now' with capitals
X-RegEx: [35.9] UNSUB_PAGE URL of page called "unsubscribe"
X-SpamPal: SPAM REGEX ID#142121340-60

paulyoung666
21-05-2004, 18:31
but was it a false positive :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

greencreeper
21-05-2004, 18:39
but was it a false positive :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

Oh really? I think that's a matter of opinion. Have you read NTL emails? :D If it looks like spam, tastes like spam, and smells like spam - it is spam. No??

edit: oh and it contains a link with a tracker id. Now that has to be spam!

abailey152
21-05-2004, 19:01
I guess that's why NTL haven't installed any decent spam filtering to their email servers. They'd block all of NTL's own messages! ;)

greencreeper
21-05-2004, 19:56
I guess that's why NTL haven't installed any decent spam filtering to their email servers. They'd block all of NTL's own messages! ;)

:D

paulyoung666
21-05-2004, 20:04
Oh really? I think that's a matter of opinion. Have you read NTL emails? :D If it looks like spam, tastes like spam, and smells like spam - it is spam. No??

edit: oh and it contains a link with a tracker id. Now that has to be spam!

:D :D :D :D :D

Maggy
21-05-2004, 20:11
What messages?I never get any these days.As far as NTL is concerned I've dropped down a hole.No special offers,nothing.

Incog. :)

Matth
21-05-2004, 23:02
Freeserve marks a lot of legitimate newsletters and advertising mails as spam - content evaluation, unless you can accurately hunt down the anti-bayesian crap that spammers seem to use - perhaps by looking for FONT-SIZE: 0px or other typical "invisible text" markers, is just too risky - all advertising, wanted or not, will come up as "spammy".

DNSBL blacklisting of:
1. Already known proxies
2. Direct to MX mail from dynamic (formerly dialup) user space (DUL)
is a far better solution - ISP's could field a lot of junk that way - I'm 100% in favour of DUL blacklisting at the server level.

greencreeper
22-05-2004, 08:45
What messages?I never get any these days.As far as NTL is concerned I've dropped down a hole.No special offers,nothing.
Incog. :)

You're not missing anything exciting :D I get the odd email trying to flog me something. There's an unsubscribe link so I imagine you can subscribe ;)

Freeserve marks a lot of legitimate newsletters and advertising mails as spam - content evaluation, unless you can accurately hunt down the anti-bayesian crap that spammers seem to use - perhaps by looking for FONT-SIZE: 0px or other typical "invisible text" markers, is just too risky - all advertising, wanted or not, will come up as "spammy".

Spampal has blacklists. The regex filtering catches those emails whose sending server(s) haven't made it onto a blacklist yet.

That email scored double the threshold, which, as spam emails go, is very high. I'd argue that if an "newsletter" or advertising email is legit it should score very low. Look at some of the points it acquired - X-RegEx: [50.0] INVALID_HTML_NOT_CORRECT_BODY_LINK HTML Link ohne korrekten HTML Body Invalid hyperlinks in a legit email? :erm: BTW - the guy that wrote the regex filter is German and the rules file hasn't been entirely translated to English :)

I don't read any of the advertising (they never are newsletters - no news in them) I receive. There seems to be this assumption that if you buy one service or product from us you will also want other services/products from us but you don't know that - yet :D Well I know exactly what I want thankyou very much.

Here's the headers for a proper newsletter that I do want:

X-RegEx-Score: 50.2
X-RegEx: [100.0] Body: EMail ohne persÃÃâ€*’¶nlic he Anrede
X-RegEx: [-49.8] USER_AGENT_MOZILLA_UA User-Agent header indicates a non-spam MUA (Mozilla)
X-RegEx: [0.0] X_ACCEPT_LANG Has a X-Accept-Language header
X-SpamPal: PASS

dragon
26-05-2004, 22:51
havent had any emails from ntl since i installed mcafee antispam so dunno if that picks em up as spam yet.

although i had one of the forum notifications form this forum get chucked in blocked mail LOL.

greencreeper
26-05-2004, 23:04
although i had one of the forum notifications form this forum get chucked in blocked mail LOL.

Spampal checks emails against a number of known blacklists but there is also a plugin that checks href's in the email against the same blacklists. Notifications sometimes get marked as "spam" because the post contains a link to a dodgy or foreign website.