PDA

View Full Version : Offnet ntl ADSL BB

Neil
20-05-2004, 22:46
A new ntl: Freedom product will be launched in July aimed at offnet customers interested in buying 512k ADSL broadband.

This will be available to all customers in offnet areas (outside the cable network) who have a BT line and will be the latest addition to the existing Freedom products

Freedom Classic
Freedom Unlimited
Freedom Unlimited 24/7
Freedom Broadband will be priced at £29.99 per month and will include

£15 off your telephone call charges, each month!
Unlimited 512k broadband
Free modem
Free connection

You heard it here 1st.....;)

Chris W
20-05-2004, 22:55
what is your source of this info? can you post a link please?

homealone
20-05-2004, 23:10

maybe it links to the Startrek pun thread?

- in that case it would be a Xindian call centre? :D

Marge
20-05-2004, 23:14
Heard some mutterings but didn't take much notice.......

dremmel
21-05-2004, 04:25
Unlimited 512k broadbandyeah heard it all before . . . . . . . :Yikes:

Neil
21-05-2004, 08:23

My source will remain nameless-that's only fair, & no I can't post a link. ;)

Chris
21-05-2004, 08:59
Nameless, but unimpeachable?

Jason1
21-05-2004, 12:25
Neil will ntl's freedom service be subject to the normal 6km max line length?

ian@huth
21-05-2004, 12:30
Neil will ntl's freedom service be subject to the normal 6km max line length?

It will be subject to the same limits as any BT line product is due to the technology used.

Jason1
21-05-2004, 12:36
Ianathuth cheers for replying shame i live 6.4km from the exchange still no broadband services available to me ahhhh

SMHarman
21-05-2004, 13:00
Ianathuth cheers for replying shame i live 6.4km from the exchange still no broadband services available to me ahhhh

Is it not possible to pay BT to test the line and see if BB would run down it?

I remember another thread about some other form of DSL that worked over longer lengths, but they could not guarantee 512. Someones parents were using it in the west country and getting 300k plus, still better than 56k.

You could always switch to ISDN. It is a noticable improvement from dial up as the connection is a good consistent 64k. Or you can bond to get 128k.

Neil
24-05-2004, 10:00
Unlimited 512k broadband

Hmmmm-Now where have I heard that before.....? :scratch:

slimshady
24-05-2004, 13:49
Do we have an idea of what modem will be supplied?

Do we know if you will be able to use your own ADSL Modem?

zovat
24-05-2004, 14:16

I can post one to the Register - who have run a remarkably similar story today :naughty:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/24/ntl_broadband/

It will be interesting to see how this works out (if indeed it does - as NTL are still stating this as speculation)

Also - BT are apparantly doing some testing in Milton Keynes to see if they cn extend the ADSL range...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/19/bt_broadband_keynes/

All looks rather interesting :angel:

Shep
24-05-2004, 14:46
Too little too late in my opinion. This type of offer is out of date now, 512k dsl when most of us offnet'ers are on 1mbit dsl. And it will be even more out of touch when BT release the 2mbit residential ipstream tier in September.

p

Macca
24-05-2004, 15:02
Too little too late in my opinion. This type of offer is out of date now, 512k dsl when most of us offnet'ers are on 1mbit dsl. And it will be even more out of touch when BT release the 2mbit residential ipstream tier in September.

p

Maybe but remember that you have the talk plan along with it which could be quite beneficial to some people. I suppose it is a step in the right direction if a little overdue.

Shaun
24-05-2004, 15:53
Its defiantly a better value product then the on-net product (until the upgrades that are coming soon) what with the £15 off you phone bill and the extra upload. :rolleyes:

Whats the betting the won't let on-net people have it!

orangebird
24-05-2004, 16:37

p

Not necessarily. I live in a cabled area now, so it doesn't affect me, but when I was offnet and on dialup ( :cry: ) this would've been great. I have no need whatsoever for 1 or 2 meg at all. 512 would've been great. It is a little late coming, but I defnitely think there's still a market for that speed.

Neil
24-05-2004, 16:44
Not necessarily. I live in a cabled area now

I didn't know ntl offered their 'service' in Spain! :Sun: ;)

Chris
24-05-2004, 16:46
I didn't know ntl offered their 'service' in Spain! :Sun: ;)
'tis the way of the newsroom, sadly. I heard Radio 4 claiming the 'exclusive' that Houllier is leaving Liverpool this morning, only to arrive at work and find it in at least 3 of this morning's papers (which means anyone wandering into a convenience store late last night would have been able to read it). :rolleyes: Some hacks just like to get by on other people's scoops.

IanUK
24-05-2004, 17:21
Unlimited 512k broadband

So no cap then ?

altis
25-05-2004, 13:27
£27.99 per month!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/25/ntl_adsl/

Richard M
25-05-2004, 13:33
Oh well, we were first and we know we were. :)
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?search=ntl (check out the earlier news)

Mick
31-05-2004, 10:40
Sources now indicate the release date for ntl ADSL has been put back - release date is now unknown. (It's coming soon then) :rolleyes:

Neil
01-06-2004, 13:25
Sources now indicate the release date for ntl ADSL has been put back - release date is now unknown. (It's coming soon then) :rolleyes:

I'll bet you it won't even be 'soon' Mick.....:dozey:

Ar$e/Elbow.....;)

Neil
01-07-2004, 14:14
Ok....It's back!!!

Freedom Broadbandâ₠¬Â¦.it's here!

As many of you know ntl: Freedom is a service we offer to customers who live in non-cabled areas. To date we've had a great deal of success with our freedom dial-up and phone packages. As a result of this success we are introducing a new broadband service from today †“ Freedom Broadband. This product is available from today with a phased roll out across the country. Eligibility for the service can be checked through the postcode checker available on ntl.com/freedom. We expect to have full ADSL coverage of the UK outside cabled areas by the end of this year.

The package costs £29.99 per month and includes:

512K broadband ADSL
Free modem*
Free connection*
£15 call credit every month
Optional International Call Plan for £2 per month
Provided customers do not cancel within the 12-month minimum term

For more information see https://secure.ntlfreedom.com/adsl_ort/(hhe1pp5544yf4o55rzg41unx)/broadband_v2.aspx

No mention of any caps though.....

Neil
01-07-2004, 14:24
We are currently working on providing your area with Freedom broadband. Please call us to find out the proposed roll-out date.

087 0445 0445

Calls charged at national rates and may be recorded.

Or leave your details below and we will contact you as soon as Freedom Broadband is available in your area.

Or you may wish to sign up to other Freedom Packages in the meantime.

:rolleyes:

Graham F
01-07-2004, 14:28
well my info wasn't far out was it :D:p:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=190317&postcount=1

seaneeboy
01-07-2004, 14:51
I think this is quite a canny move on NTL's part - they don't really have to provide much (Does the tech support stay with NTL or is that provided by BT as part of the line lease deal?) but they get to roll out the ntl: brand accross the UK - so if there *is* an expantion or anything a large amount of the brand awareness is already done for them!

orangebird
01-07-2004, 14:53
:rolleyes:

What's :rolleyes: for??? It all depends on whether the BT exchange you use is capable. ntl are rolling it out where they can, as stated in the release - We expect to have full ADSL coverage of the UK outside cabled areas by the end of this year.
....give them a break Neil. It only got announced today.

orangebird
01-07-2004, 14:58
Whats the betting the won't let on-net people have it!

Of course they wont! ntl have spent a fortune on the networks... Where's the business sense in letting people do that? :dozey:

Chris W
01-07-2004, 14:59
hmm... spot the deliberate mistake in the minimum requirements:

http://www.ntlfreedom.com/broadbandhelp/minimum_req.htm

orangebird
01-07-2004, 15:01
hmm... spot the deliberate mistake in the minimum requirements:

http://www.ntlfreedom.com/broadbandhelp/minimum_req.htm

Nope, but I don't get all that computer spec jargon anyway :dunce: - what's the mistake?

Neil
01-07-2004, 15:04
Of course they wont! ntl have spent a fortune on the networks... Where's the business sense in letting people do that? :dozey:

A fortune!?

Are you sure about that!? :D

Chris W
01-07-2004, 15:04
The minimum required memory for running win2k or XP is 128mb ram- the details say that 64meg with 2k or xp will be sufficient.

Oh and i have also noticed that it does not give the requirement for hard disk space on the pc... and the ** next to the usb in the mac section is not explained.

Not a very good start IMO!

MB

orangebird
01-07-2004, 15:05
A fortune!?

More money than all the members on this forum will ever see in a lifetime added together and multiplied by 1000 probably :shrug:

orangebird
01-07-2004, 15:06
The minimum required memory for running win2k or XP is 128mb ram- the details say that 64meg with 2k or xp will be sufficient.

Oh and i have also noticed that it does not give the requirement for hard disk space on the pc... and the ** next to the usb in the mac section is not explained.

MB

Have you emailed the relevant person to get them to amend it?

Neil
01-07-2004, 15:06
What's :rolleyes: for??? It all depends on whether the BT exchange you use is capable. ntl are rolling it out where they can, as stated in the release -
....give them a break Neil. It only got announced today.

The :rolleyes: is because I already have ADSL at my address, so the exchange is most definately enabled.

Every other xDSL ISP can provide there except ntl it would seem. ;)

So the :rolleyes: was deserved!

Chris W
01-07-2004, 15:09
Have you emailed the relevant person to get them to amend it?

nope... i have no idea who the relevant person would be... The only contact us link of the page eventually takes you back to ntlhome contact us; if i filled that in it would be directed back to tech support (and possibly even me!) and we don't deal with freedom products (or at least we haven't been told anything about dealing with freedom bb yet :erm: ).

I will investigate when i go into work...

Paul
01-07-2004, 15:16
A fortune!?

Yes. :)

Have you not been keeping up with my posts in the Speed thread ;)

Neil
01-07-2004, 15:22
Yes. :)

Have you not been keeping up with my posts in the Speed thread ;)

Clearly not.

orangebird
01-07-2004, 15:27
nope... i have no idea who the relevant person would be... The only contact us link of the page eventually takes you back to ntlhome contact us; if i filled that in it would be directed back to tech support (and possibly even me!) and we don't deal with freedom products (or at least we haven't been told anything about dealing with freedom bb yet :erm: ).

I will investigate when i go into work...

The associate directory is a good place to look... Use the different parameters in the advanced search... You can always find the MD of Freedom and work downwards...

alexlee
01-07-2004, 15:41
Freedom are aware. They have a few tweaks to put through. Please bare with us.

orangebird
01-07-2004, 15:43

Thanks for that :)

Chris W
01-07-2004, 15:50

thanks! :D

:welcome: to the site!

do i gather from your post that you work for freedom.........?

Shaun
01-07-2004, 15:52

Well, loss of custom may be one. I've spent good money changing from cable to ADSL, if Ntl could provide me with a decent service at a decent price then I may consider it (not very likely but still) I would however not go back to cable (not Ntl anyway) so ADSL would be the only choice.

Not offering it to customers like me on-net but unwilling to use it again after bad experiences could cause them to loose custom. :)

ian@huth
01-07-2004, 16:25

*Pictures group of NTL Freedom bods walking about naked doing a little tweaking
:D *

Not a bad price I suppose if you make use of the £15 included calls.

Ignition
01-07-2004, 18:18
A fortune!?

Sorry, several billion quid doesn't qualify as a fortune for you. Man I want your wallet.

The :rolleyes: is because I already have ADSL at my address, so the exchange is most definately enabled.

Every other xDSL ISP can provide there except ntl it would seem. ;)

So the :rolleyes: was deserved!

Also not the case, you really don't know there are 5 kinds of ADSL, Option 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

All exchanges are enabled for options 4 and 5, some are enabled for option 3, very few are enabled for options 2 and 1.

See my signature before making summary judgements :)

themelon
01-07-2004, 18:47

MB

Are you sure??

I have XP and 2000 running on a 64Mb machine admittedly not particulalrly well and best to disable some features.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314865

for Windows 2000

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evaluation/sysreqs/default.asp

Chris W
01-07-2004, 18:50
Are you sure??

I have XP and 2000 running on a 64Mb machine admittedly not particulalrly well and best to disable some features.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314865

for Windows 2000

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evaluation/sysreqs/default.asp

have you tried to plug a usb modem into either of these... won't be a good connection believe me! Customers will not want to strip the o/s down to the minimum to get online... and the majority of people will also not be educated enough to do this.

themelon
01-07-2004, 19:06
Well Ive used a USB connected cable STB on both machines (updating windows for people I work for), its slow but it is possible and does work on XP. Windows 2K isnt bad at all really.

Generally thats down to the people who have stupidly old machines. Its not really up to ntl to tell them to get a new computer, although they probably should!! :D

I wouldnt do it! You wouldnt do it!! But some poor souls probably have too!! There isnt really any excuse for having less than 128Mb or even 256Mb of RAM in my eyes and I always try to persuade them that, but they wont have any of it:

Some people have the attitude 'as long as it gets me there eventually!!'

Personally I wouldnt ever use a USB Modem unless I had too! or on a temporary basis! And I wouldnt use a computer with less than 1Gb Ram and an Athlon 64 for 3400 else everything seems painful..lol

Nemesis
07-07-2004, 14:55
www.ntlfreedom.com (www.ntlfreedom.com)

SMHarman
07-07-2004, 14:59
Well Ive used a USB connected cable STB on both machines (updating windows for people I work for), its slow but it is possible and does work on XP. Windows 2K isnt bad at all really.

Generally thats down to the people who have stupidly old machines. Its not really up to ntl to tell them to get a new computer, although they probably should!! :D

I wouldnt do it! You wouldnt do it!! But some poor souls probably have too!! There isnt really any excuse for having less than 128Mb or even 256Mb of RAM in my eyes and I always try to persuade them that, but they wont have any of it:

Some people have the attitude 'as long as it gets me there eventually!!'

Personally I wouldnt ever use a USB Modem unless I had too! or on a temporary basis! And I wouldnt use a computer with less than 1Gb Ram and an Athlon 64 for 3400 else everything seems painful..lol

My Old Celeron 333 with 96Mb ram and W98SE and IE6 runs quite nicely, which suprises me. I didn't really notice a performance or reliability boost when it moved from USB to NIC either. Don't use it for surfing much these days.

JohnM
14-07-2004, 03:24
So whats the difference between the various "options" of ADSL? Seems like ntl's offering is fairly bog standard... so why's it not available?

Ignition
24-07-2004, 06:07
Option 1 = BT Videostream - 2.3Mbit ultra-low contention connections.
Option 2 = Local Loop Unbundling, provider places own kit in exchange and arranges own backhaul from it.
Option 3 = Datastream, provider uses BT DSLAM but takes an ATM handoff from BT network at each exchange and terminates customer connection completely themselves.
Option 4 = BT Central, provider uses BT DSLAM and BT BRAS (broadband remote access/aggregation server) to collect together subscriber connections and pays for links from these BRAS to their own LNS/NAS or BRAS (L2TP Network Server / Network Access Server).
Option 5 = BT Central Plus, as in option 4 except BT also own the LNS/NAS and give provider a pure IP feed.