PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update

LooeyUK
21-07-2003, 21:33
Im running windows xp and just formatted my PC.

I go to Windows Update and it does its little search, instead of going up by percentage it goes straight to 100% and says there are no updates!

Whats happened?

Tricky
21-07-2003, 21:39
Which version of XP do you have now (My Computer & Properties) latest is version 1a

LooeyUK
21-07-2003, 21:44
Where in My Computer's properties do you find the version?

Sociable
21-07-2003, 21:44
When you say "Format" did you do a full format of the main drive completely deleting everything on the drive and then re-install XP?

If all you have done is re-install XP over itself it would still have all the updates registered.

Also I'm assuming you are using an original XP CD and not a copy as some of those will not allow windows update to work.

Sociable
21-07-2003, 21:46
Originally posted by LooeyB

Right click "My Computer" select "Properties" the version should show on the "General" tab details,

LooeyUK
21-07-2003, 21:48
My copy of XP is version 2002 and yes it is a copy but its always worked before.

Also, i did a complete format.

Tricky
21-07-2003, 21:49

On the general tab to the right of the flag in a monitor...

Or use the System Information tool from Accessories, System Tools and this will give you the version along with build number...Such as:Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600

Tricky
21-07-2003, 21:52
My copy of XP is version 2002 and yes it is a copy but its always worked before.

Also, i did a complete format.

I do know that Microsoft are developing a "register" of serials already registered using the product keys (that you typed during install) to try protect themselves against mass duplication of cd's and keys. This is built into Longhorn and I heard rumours that they were going to start with XP and Windows 2003 (.NET) server on product updates...

Like what they did when they first released SP1 - they stopped it upgrading some versions of the original installation

LooeyUK
21-07-2003, 21:52
Originally posted by Shabba
If you have a 5 pound copy of XP then windows update won't work for you.

please explain why my other computers windows update works?

Sociable
21-07-2003, 21:58
please explain why my other computers windows update works?

Best bet is that part of the process is linked to SP1.

ie If you have SP1 already installed (as on the other PC) the rest of the windows update site "Assumes" that all is OK and allows all later updates.

As you are going back to the original version you no longer have SP1 installed so it is going through the full verification routine.

Only a guess but seems logical.

LooeyUK
21-07-2003, 22:02
I have SP1 on a CD and installed it no problems. I havnt got the FCKGW serial, its a different one I created :)

It just wont do it :(

imback
21-07-2003, 22:26
If you have a 5 pound copy of XP then windows update won't work for you.

You can get a "£5 version" to run windows update very easily, so you should have said it will not work "out of the box";) :)

LooeyUK
21-07-2003, 22:54
well, i havnt got the "FCxx blah blah blah" version, its a different one, and ive changed the serial on it aswell and it still dont work

Sociable
21-07-2003, 23:01
well, i havnt got the "FCxx blah blah blah" version, its a different one, and ive changed the serial on it aswell and it still dont work

Check PM LooeyB

Sociable
21-07-2003, 23:10
Just checked the windows update site and a driver update I have always ignored is not now showing even though it always does when I check for other updates so this could just be a temporary fault on the site.

May be the solution is just to wait and try again later.

imback
21-07-2003, 23:25
I stand corrected :)

I've only ever seen the FCxx blah blah blah versions on the streets!

That's the verison I have, but, well it takes about 3mins to solve that problem.:p