PDA

View Full Version : Is BB coming down in price then???

Aff
21-07-2003, 17:23
Heard today on the news BT has been forced to reduce it's lines to companies making a loss for them of some 72 million pounds.

the actual news was though, falling BB costs.

anyone have any news on this as i don't know the technicalities.

further, i'm on 150k access, now about to upgrade to 600k. do i therefore have to have a 12 month contract or will this roll on?

i'm worried everyone new will get cheaper BB access and i'm stuck in some shoddy 12 month contract at over the odds.

thanks for advice.

btw, it is very expensive having phone, tv, internet BB. my g, i didn't realise the combined hit each month!!!

kronas
21-07-2003, 17:25
i dont think NTL broadband will get cheaper in the short term future but ADSL seems to be continuing the trend of providing cheaper BB products and now seems to be providing faster services at cheaper prices whether compaines can sustain this and provide a quality service remains to be seen.............

orangebird
21-07-2003, 17:26
Originally posted by Aff

further, i'm on 150k access, now about to upgrade to 600k. do i therefore have to have a 12 month contract or will this roll on?

i'm worried everyone new will get cheaper BB access and i'm stuck in some shoddy 12 month contract at over the odds.

thanks for advice.

btw, it is very expensive having phone, tv, internet BB. my g, i didn't realise the combined hit each month!!!

Hi,

No, if you are upgrading, your contract does not extend to another 12 months, it just rolls on. hth :)

matty4donna
21-07-2003, 17:43
Ive said it before and ill say it again, ntl: will NOT reduce thier broadband pricing until the four big ADSL companies reduce thiers! Virgin, Freeserve, BT Openworld and AOL Broadband are all either around the same price or dearer. ntl: have no need to reduce them as they are thier real ADSL competitors.

Aff
21-07-2003, 17:48
yep, that's ok, i just don't want to be stuck in a 'contract' if a new pricing structure merges.

if say BT reduces the price and everyone follows suit i want to ensure my 'contract' price goes down with everyone else.

matty4donna
21-07-2003, 17:54
Originally posted by Aff
yep, that's ok, i just don't want to be stuck in a 'contract' if a new pricing structure merges.

if say BT reduces the price and everyone follows suit i want to ensure my 'contract' price goes down with everyone else. dont worry, you will only be charged the going rate for your service. When i had 1mb i was being charged £49.99 per month then it went down to £34.99 per month in January and my price went down.

kronas
21-07-2003, 17:55
Originally posted by matty4donna
dont worry, you will only be charged the going rate for your service. When i had 1mb i was being charged £49.99 per month then it went down to £34.99 per month in January and my price went down.

yep that happens regardless of whether your in a 12 month contract or not its automatic :)

th'engineer
23-07-2003, 08:01
Originally posted by kronas
yep that happens regardless of whether your in a 12 month contract or not its automatic :)

We are talking NTL here, you know the motto screw every last penny out of the mugs(customers) "they wont understand anyway"

CameronDalkeiri
23-07-2003, 13:27
It seems wrong somehow that the cost to NTL for providing broadband services will fall because of tis BT business, yet the price to their customers will remain the same? So they'll be pocketing an incredible amount of additional profit!?!

Chris
23-07-2003, 13:30
Originally posted by CameronDalkeiri
It seems wrong somehow that the cost to NTL for providing broadband services will fall because of tis BT business, yet the price to their customers will remain the same? So they'll be pocketing an incredible amount of additional profit!?!

Unless I've completely missed something, BT's charges are irrelevant to ntl, because it has its own network. Ntl's pricing as compared to BT is based on what it thinks is a competitive price for its broadband service, nothing to do with paying access charges to BT because AFAIK it doesn't.

imback
23-07-2003, 13:42
Originally posted by towny
Unless I've completely missed something, BT's charges are irrelevant to ntl, because it has its own network

Yeah that's what I was thinking too :confused:

SMHarman
23-07-2003, 14:09
Originally posted by matty4donna
Ive said it before and ill say it again, ntl: will NOT reduce thier broadband pricing until the four big ADSL companies reduce thiers! Virgin, Freeserve, BT Openworld and AOL Broadband are all either around the same price or dearer. ntl: have no need to reduce them as they are thier real ADSL competitors.

Now as BT have reduced the wholesale costs to these co's they may reduce their retail costs. In turn NTL may need to reduce their costs to remain competitive.

th'engineer
24-07-2003, 09:24
Get your first month's line rental FREE then pay a monthly line rental charge of just £27.00 if you pay by Direct Debit or Monthly Payment Plan*. Otherwise you pay £28.00.

Just saw this on the BT site is that broadband and phone for £27 pounds is this a new offer .
It makes it cheaper than NTL if it is
One-off connection charge of only £30. Connection is subject to availability and survey, and you will need to sign up for a minimum 12 months from the date of activation. Please don't forget that the monthly charge does not include your BT line rental or the cost of your voice calls.

BT cost £327 per year based on the above

orangebird
24-07-2003, 10:53
Originally posted by th'engineer
Get your first month's line rental FREE then pay a monthly line rental charge of just £27.00 if you pay by Direct Debit or Monthly Payment Plan*. Otherwise you pay £28.00.

Just saw this on the BT site is that broadband and phone for £27 pounds is this a new offer .
It makes it cheaper than NTL if it is
One-off connection charge of only £30. Connection is subject to availability and survey, and you will need to sign up for a minimum 12 months from the date of activation. Please don't forget that the monthly charge does not include your BT line rental or the cost of your voice calls.

BT cost £327 per year based on the above

What speed was that for? Does it include the modem? It doesn't include the phone line... :rolleyes:.....

SMHarman
24-07-2003, 11:02
But then again NTLs BB only doesn't include the phone line.

orangebird
24-07-2003, 11:16
Originally posted by SMHarman
But then again NTLs BB only doesn't include the phone line.

Doesn't it?

SMHarman
24-07-2003, 11:37
So thats BT £327 NTL £299.98 (and no need to buy the modem)

Still a winner to NTL then.

Makes the title of this thread a bit more interesting!

orangebird
24-07-2003, 11:57
Originally posted by Andre
No, as they now offer the service completely 'unbundled', so you can have ntl BB without having to have an ntl phone line, and just pay £24.99 per month (600k)

Marvellous - and installation is free right now (saving £75) - and there's no 'one off connection' charge either...

:)

Chris
24-07-2003, 12:04
I've been smug since day one of my BB service - being the careful type, I checked the figures and knew that ntl was offering far better value than BT. BT's prices came down not long after, and are coming down again, but ntl is still better value.

Remember with BT Openwound you don't get any email or webspace either.

Sorry if I'm gushing a bit but I'm in love with the new SACM the engineer installed for us yesterday. It is silver and has lots more flashing lights on it than the old one. :D

SMHarman
24-07-2003, 12:08
But it doesnt go "Ping"

Chris
24-07-2003, 12:09
Originally posted by SMHarman
But it doesnt go "Ping"

Or wibble, but you can't have everything :(

orangebird
24-07-2003, 12:11
th'eng - you silence speaks volumes... ;)

th'engineer
24-07-2003, 13:23
Originally posted by orangebird
th'eng - you silence speaks volumes... ;)

Just pointed it out on my travels around the web

I am sorry you are missing me orangebird :D

alan.ralskey
24-07-2003, 13:47
BB coming down is price?

I hope so

KingPhoenix
24-07-2003, 19:13
Originally posted by towny
I've been smug since day one of my BB service - being the careful type, I checked the figures and knew that ntl was offering far better value than BT. BT's prices came down not long after, and are coming down again, but ntl is still better value.

Remember with BT Openwound you don't get any email or webspace either.

Sorry if I'm gushing a bit but I'm in love with the new SACM the engineer installed for us yesterday. It is silver and has lots more flashing lights on it than the old one. :D

You do get e-mail accounts with openworld (not sure of webspace) but if you go with BT Internet, then no you dont get any e-mail accounts.....

Chris
24-07-2003, 19:36
Originally posted by KingPhoenix
You do get e-mail accounts with openworld (not sure of webspace) but if you go with BT Internet, then no you dont get any e-mail accounts.....
:confused:
How does that work? What's the difference?

KingPhoenix
24-07-2003, 19:56
BT Internet is added to your phonebill, BT Openworld is a completely seperate company...

Theyre both able to offer you the same packages for the same prices (i think) They both have seperate tech support numbers etc..... I dont know why they bothered...... but they obviously thought it was a good idea....

They may have originally set BTOpenWorld up for Residential And BT Internet for business i suppose.... but your able to get either for either.... so.... :confused:

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this?

ic14
24-07-2003, 20:00
Its BT Broadband not internet, BT Internet became BT Openworld a couple of years ago.

BT Broadbabnd is a bit cheaper than Openworld but you dont get anything apart from a BB connection.
With Openworld you get email, webspace and server side anti-spam.

(I dont use BTs own BB so dont quote me)

KingPhoenix
24-07-2003, 20:15
Originally posted by ic14
Its BT Broadband not internet, BT Internet became BT Openworld a couple of years ago.

BT Broadbabnd is a bit cheaper than Openworld but you dont get anything apart from a BB connection.
With Openworld you get email, webspace and server side anti-spam.

(I dont use BTs own BB so dont quote me)

There ya go, i knew someone would know a bit more about it then i... :D

thanks ic14 ;)

ic14
24-07-2003, 20:29
Originally posted by KingPhoenix
There ya go, i knew someone would know a bit more about it then i... :D

thanks ic14 ;)
No Probs!:D

SMHarman
25-07-2003, 10:01
I think its also a separation of legal entities, proof that no cross subsidy exists etc.

etccarmageddon
25-07-2003, 10:13
the price of broadband could be coming down...

http://www.bulldogdsl.com/residential/index.asp

have a special offer of 2mb for £29.36 a month (that includes vat)
plus you have to pay for a modem and activation. and I think web space is extra.

that's certainly a lot better that BT broadband's 500k product for a negligable amount more.

this could cause some competition in the market which could result in other players droping their prices or upping their speeds.