PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing problems in North Hants

RedBull
17-05-2004, 17:25
For the past 2 weeks my connection here in Fleet has been dropping for several hours a day. In worst cases it has been down for entire days.

Today the service is more stable, and I'm able to surf some webpages / download. However, I'm finding that the modem sometimes goes offline for shorter periods still. Webpages are timing out, download speeds are average (45k/s) on 600k cable.

The biggest problem seems to be huge packet loss I am getting. According to the Broadband speed test tool I downloaded I am getting around 25% packet loss to all webpages. In games my ping is 300+ to all UK servers, it's not possible to play at all as the ping spikes to around 1000 and jumps around all over the place. I can never get back to the solid 30/40 ping I am used to. (I'm not using any P2P software, and my virus checker is up to date so none of these can be causing this problem).

I've phoned the NTL callcentre 4 times now, but gave up after Saturday when I was told I'd have to sit back and wait for them to solve it. Does anyone know what is actually going on with this area? I noticed there was a similar thread from a few days ago on this forum, although I seem to have been getting further problems whilst his is fixed.

Thanks

homealone
17-05-2004, 18:09
:welcome: to the Forum, Redbull - enjoy you stay:)

I'm just wondering if your problem is related to the long running 'degradation of service in Southampton' that has been on the service status page, for ages?

Otherwise another thing to try would be to try changing your proxy.

useful info on this in the link

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html

:)

RedBull
17-05-2004, 18:42
Thanks for the reply homealone.

I know that I'm on the Guildford exchange currently, so I don't know whether the Southampton problem would affect me directly. I'll try playing around with some different proxies to see if that'll help.

homealone
17-05-2004, 18:46
Thanks for the reply homealone.

I know that I'm on the Guildford exchange currently, so I don't know whether the Southampton problem would affect me directly. I'll try playing around with some different proxies to see if that'll help.

good luck - let us know how you get on :)

RedBull
17-05-2004, 18:50
I've just tried a few different proxies, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to be helping at all. The pings are still suffering, and it's taking a while to load websites also.

I presume the packet loss is a fault in my area?

homealone
17-05-2004, 18:56
I've just tried a few different proxies, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to be helping at all. The pings are still suffering, and it's taking a while to load websites also.

I presume the packet loss is a fault in my area?

:( - looks like a call to Customer Services is your next alternative, unless any one else has any other thoughts.......

Sorry I couldn't help more, RedBull :)

darkone338
17-05-2004, 19:53
must be a local problem, cos i'm also in the guildford area and theres nothing wrong with the Camberly part of it...

Ignition
18-05-2004, 21:22
Eeek sorry I didn't notice this thread :(

There are some poor SNRs on upstream path in an area in Fleet. This is as far as I am aware being worked on but is a tricky one, sorry :(

Maggy
18-05-2004, 23:27

There are some poor SNRs on upstream path in an area in Fleet. This is as far as I am aware being worked on but is a tricky one, sorry :(

Better late than never. :)

RedBull
19-05-2004, 09:50

I was told this by customer services yesterday. They said they'll send an engineer out, but from what I understood, it sounded more like a problem in the local area rather than just us in particular.

Is there any kind of time-scale as to when this will be fixed? We've had to put up with it for 2 weeks now, and I don't know how much longer we can take this as we're still having to pay for this month.

Ignition
19-05-2004, 15:22
Yeah it's not a fault specific to you guys it's more a case of the engineers finding the causes of the noise on your node(s) and then removing them, which can be tricky to say the least.