PDA

View Full Version : upstream speed

dragon
15-05-2004, 14:07
are there any plans by ntl to increase upstream? i thought i read a rumor somewhere and now i cant find it

be nice to have a bit more uploading some stuff to ftp can take ages on ntl 600k and sending to people via msn.etc why do ntl get only get 128k upstream when adsl gets 256?

paulyoung666
15-05-2004, 14:18
it is due to the different technology used i believe :erm:

hjf288
15-05-2004, 14:25
Id say ADSL needs the extra downstream/upstream since it has so much overheads....

Shaun
15-05-2004, 14:51
Id say ADSL needs the extra downstream/upstream since it has so much overheads....

Even with overheads my upload is faster now I;m with Bulldog than it ever was with Ntl. :erm:

ian@huth
15-05-2004, 16:52
Each upstream card on a NTL UBR (which can have 200+ users) only has around 2Mb available upstream after overheads. This can soon get saturated with a few heavy uploaders.

td444
15-05-2004, 17:49
Each upstream card on a NTL UBR (which can have 200+ users) only has around 2Mb available upstream after overheads. This can soon get saturated with a few heavy uploaders.
Some loaded areas have 5.12mbit (3.8mbit IP useable). Infact, they can go as far as using QAM modulation and hit 10.24mbit raw (7.6mbit IP useable), its just that as soon as each upstream approaches 200 users, time slots run short = latency spike for gamers. But general usage is good.

td444
15-05-2004, 17:51
Even with overheads my upload is faster now I;m with Bulldog than it ever was with Ntl. :erm:
Yeah, sure, Bulldog are the greatest IF you live in a Local Loop Unbundled area.... Please dont moan that your connection is superb - when many people like this: http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=bulldog - are suffering.

paulyoung666
15-05-2004, 17:58
Yeah, sure, Bulldog are the greatest IF you live in a Local Loop Unbundled area.... Please dont moan that your connection is superb - when many people like this: http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=bulldog - are suffering.

sorry but you cant moan about you connection being spot on , can you ??????????????

dragon
15-05-2004, 18:41
:shocked: but 20 ppl using it to the max of their upload bandwith would max out the card :Yikes: and then there be 180ppl with crap upload :rolleyes:

Shaun
15-05-2004, 18:55

I don't intend to turn this into a bulldog vs every other ISP but these people don't seem to bother putting their views into the reviews section here (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=1f6627475a752a6a7653e81cf82e6dfa&cmd=details&itemid=181). A the end of the day, the networks are going to be crap in some places and great in others, however Ntl's network seems to fare worse than most others. :rolleyes:

Edit As a side note, Bulldog actually have an official team of staff that field problems on that board, where's Ntl's? - This isn't saying that I don't appreciate all the great unofficial help offered here or else where ;)

Chris W
15-05-2004, 19:14
Edit As a side note, Bulldog actually have an official team of staff that field problems on that board, where's Ntl's? - This isn't saying that I don't appreciate all the great unofficial help offered here or else where ;)

that was the CLT on .com.... but we won't talk about that! :rolleyes:

Shaun
15-05-2004, 19:21
that was the CLT on .com.... but we won't talk about that! :rolleyes:

:dozey: :D :LOL:

td444
15-05-2004, 20:41
I don't intend to turn this into a bulldog vs every other ISP but these people don't seem to bother putting their views into the reviews section here (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=1f6627475a752a6a7653e81cf82e6dfa&cmd=details&itemid=181). A the end of the day, the networks are going to be crap in some places and great in others, however Ntl's network seems to fare worse than most others. :rolleyes:

I've seen that bulldog forum months ago, it was just as bad.

The main issue with bulldog is that they supply virtual path's that are just too small to accomodate its users on a particular exchange. You *may* be happy now, but if I was on the same BT exchange as you , and I also got PrimeTime 2000, believe me you'd be suffering badly.

Enjoy.

ian@huth
16-05-2004, 02:17
:shocked: but 20 ppl using it to the max of their upload bandwith would max out the card :Yikes: and then there be 180ppl with crap upload :rolleyes:

It would only take 8 x 1 Mb users or 16 x 600k users that are maxing out their upstreams to saturate the upstream on the card. What happens then is that ALL users on that card will find both their upstreams and downstreams are slowing down to the same sort of speed that their upstreams are running at.

As has been pointed out, some UBRs are capable of higher uploads, particularly if using EuroDOCSIS, allowing something like double the number of users uploading at max to saturate the stream.

Shaun
16-05-2004, 02:58
I've seen that bulldog forum months ago, it was just as bad.

The main issue with bulldog is that they supply virtual path's that are just too small to accomodate its users on a particular exchange. You *may* be happy now, but if I was on the same BT exchange as you , and I also got PrimeTime 2000, believe me you'd be suffering badly.

Enjoy.

I don't think so, on an exchange as large as the Montfort in Leicester I'm sure there is more then just me on Bulldogs Prime time products (maybe it helps that its a LLU exchange??), even so, I personally find their service excellent. So do many other customers, have you actually read the links I provided?

dragon
16-05-2004, 10:11
so thats why ntl imposed the 1gb cap? if a few people in the area use p2p then there goes the whole area.

suprised its not alyways saturated then

surely they should be capping the upstream rather than the downstream. (err ill shutup now before i give ntl ideas)