PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent connections in Manchester?

Mandlebrot
15-05-2004, 00:40
For the last few days I have noticed that my connection keeps dropping, sometimes this is only for a few seconds. I have checked the server status page but although connection problems are mentioned for other areas nothing is reported for the Manchester area.

I am just wondering if other people in Manchester are experiencing the same dropouts or is it just me? :confused:

Cheers

th'engineer
15-05-2004, 06:36
if you are having problems give us a bit more info.

What are you connecting through a TV Set top box or cable modem.

How are you connected ethernet cable or USB

Mandlebrot
15-05-2004, 13:04
I'm connected through a 4000 box using Ethernet. I'm computer literate and have been on BB with NTL since they very 1st offered it about 2 years ago so I've gone through all the usual checks. I have had lots of problems since being on BB but it has been quite stable for the last few months and this is the first time I have had this type of problem. Like I have already said it usually only disconnects for a few seconds (which makes me think its part of NTL's planned upgrades etc.) but it has been doing it quite frequently over the last few days and it seems that nearly everytime I come back to my PC after a break it shows that it has been disconnected. Although like I said it can be only for a few seconds, this is enough to interfere with a download etc.

I'm quite prepared to leave it a few more days to see what happens before phoning the engineers just in case it is part of there plan and they just haven't bothered to mention it on the status page.

scrotnig
15-05-2004, 13:07
I would report it straight away, as it shouldn't be happening. There's no need to wait a few days. Get it checked out straight away.

Before calling make sure you've done the reboot set to box/reboot PC routine to make sure this doesn't solve it, as otherwise that's the first thing they will ask you to do.

th'engineer
16-05-2004, 09:51
it appears the routing software is playing up again just spent half an hour playing proxy dance will report it though

doug
16-05-2004, 21:34
I too have been having connections come and go since Thursday. Today (Sunday, there has been no service until late afternoon. I am connecting throug a TV set top box and the second staus lights start blinking or just goes out.

How do I report a fault? (Customer services goes home for the weekend!!)
Do NTL have a service status log available for public inspection?
Can I sue NTL for not delivering the service I signed up to? - how about a class action? I am getting really fedup with the service disappearing when I really NEED internet access.

Defiant
16-05-2004, 21:51
Yea been having problems myself. Changing DNS server has sorted it

Florence
16-05-2004, 22:17
think you will find the levels for Manchester are up and down whe it goes too low it disconnects and reconnects I was also having this problem. Then it was increased at the box and today I was over the limit but still working.

th'engineer
16-05-2004, 22:54
remember set top boxes have problems with green cabs overheating

Florence
17-05-2004, 08:00
I am using a SACM not STB

th'engineer
17-05-2004, 19:12
kits seems to be something wrong here refreshing pages is now taking ages.

Just done some checks download is down by about 50k

Vegeta
17-05-2004, 22:55
I'm in Manchester too and am getting connection timeouts/intermittent connection.

Ignition
18-05-2004, 02:41
remember set top boxes have problems with green cabs overheating
I have no idea why this would be specific to set top boxes, but that's just me - having spoken to onsite engineers there don't seem to be any major issues with network overheating - remember the nearest cabinet to customers is in most cases a simple distribution tap which is unpowered.

I am using a SACM not STB
Still uses the same street furniture, alothough why said street furniture will take 30c+ last year and suddenly drop @ sub-25c this year I'm not entirely sure about - please be assured there are no major overheating issues ;)

This is getting a bit mad anyway - We don't know

1) Which ubrs any of you are on - remember there's Baguley and Manchester Transit headends, and from those there are numerous uBRs.

2) Chances of you all being in the same area and affected by one overheating cab are nil, likewise chances off you all being on the same caches aren't too high, but if you could check this.....

3) Disconnects can be caused by a lot of different things, I've noticed some instability with disconnects here and there, however there were no major issues with it last year and until this is seen more widely than just Manchester I'm not going to pay the green cab theory too much creedence.

Have you all logged these as faults with the TSB?

Slow downloads are going to be a different issue, proxy related, maybe related to the source of the download.

Are you guys actually losing synch with the ubr (should be lights on STB ? modem telling you whether or not you are connected to ubr) or are connections just stuttering?

Using the diagnostics on those with SACMs how is your downstream receive power, and upstream transmit power?

If any of you want to give me IP addresses so that I can diagnose your issues (or try to) feel free.

th'engineer
18-05-2004, 04:41
Hey Justanothernoob, there is something wrong up here looks like that routing software load balancing stuff again.
If i am wrong will get you a brew at HOOK next week( yes know you dont work there);)

th'engineer
18-05-2004, 05:03
I have no idea why this would be specific to set top boxes, but that's just me - having spoken to onsite engineers there don't seem to be any major issues with network overheating - remember the nearest cabinet to customers is in most cases a simple distribution tap which is unpowered.Talk to BBK you need to really extend your knowledge on ex cwc distribution all boxes are powered with local amps on the taps. Even i know that and do not work for NTL;) :D :LOL:

To BBK please take this misguided one under your wing and learn him the ways of ex cwc:angel: may the force of ex cwc be with you ex cwc master;)

Ignition
18-05-2004, 15:19
Talk to BBK you need to really extend your knowledge on ex cwc distribution all boxes are powered with local amps on the taps. Even i know that and do not work for NTL;) :D :LOL:

To BBK please take this misguided one under your wing and learn him the ways of ex cwc:angel: may the force of ex cwc be with you ex cwc master;)

Not really, I'm not an access network engineer, and if you check powered taps are a localised thing, remember CWC didn't build most of their access network they just bought it ;)

Mandlebrot
19-05-2004, 15:56
Still getting the connection dropping in and out, will report it to them tomorrow if I can get through.

th'engineer
19-05-2004, 21:10
Not really, I'm not an access network engineer, and if you check powered taps are a localised thing, remember CWC didn't build most of their access network they just bought it ;)Would it not assist you in giving correct information , really suggest a course on ex cwc by the JEDI Knights of CWC BBK and Bill C.:Peaceman:

May the force be with you cwc masters:LOL: