PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Installation

Loco
14-05-2004, 21:50
I'm currently on the NTL £10 for unlimited dialup, but in light of their decision to upgrade their 150k service to 300k, I'm seriously considering making the leap to Broadband. However, I currently live in a rented property - and having had a less than impressive install the first time they turned up, I'm nervous about letting NTL back in to do any work.

But just what is involved in switching me to Broadband? I've currently got a second phone line which will go, but before talking to my landlord about possibly having the work done I just want to understand what happens on a physical (and to a lesser extent, technical) level.

scrotnig
14-05-2004, 21:55
I'm currently on the NTL £10 for unlimited dialup, but in light of their decision to upgrade their 150k service to 300k, I'm seriously considering making the leap to Broadband. However, I currently live in a rented property - and having had a less than impressive install the first time they turned up, I'm nervous about letting NTL back in to do any work.

But just what is involved in switching me to Broadband? I've currently got a second phone line which will go, but before talking to my landlord about possibly having the work done I just want to understand what happens on a physical (and to a lesser extent, technical) level.
Just some additional cabling. If you already have an ntl phone line then there will be no problem. Really, you shouldn't need to involve your landlord at all.

Nikko
14-05-2004, 21:56

You already have the Omnibox (brown/grey box) which is the main distribution point. The engineer will take a feed from this and route it to a point on the outside wall of the room where you want the modem sited.

You will get a wall socket internally, and a lead from this to the cable modem which will live by your PC.

All easy and straighforward, should be fuss/mess free

Edit: Yeah - what Mark said ;)

Edit 2: Yeah & :welcome: to CF too loco :)