PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME - I'll be nice!

garry_boy
12-05-2004, 16:30
OK, after three attempts on the phone today - over a period of one and a half hours - I've still not had any joy.

Here's my problem.

I live in Glasgow, we had really heavy rain on tuesday that caused a flash flood in my area (Rutherglen) - At the floods hight my cellar had 4 foot of water in it - most of which had to be pumped out by the fire brigade.
My central heating boiler is now knackered (installed under the house) so I have no hot water or heating - not a happy bunny.
But I could survive if I had my net access, unfortunately it's also knackered was working before the flood (I was on the net when it happened!) - so I'm guessing it's the cabling or filter sitting under the house that kaput.

Despite all this, apparantly I need to be at my modem so NTL can run tests before they will send an engineer out! I mean c'mon - the kit was under 4ft of water - what do y'a think the route problem is going to be?

Any NTL'rs out there help? I'm going to be working from home tomorrow so a wee visit then by an engineer would be top notch!

Chris W
12-05-2004, 16:36
Hi :waves:

Unfortunately you do need to be at the modem when they run the tests, because whoever submits the engineer request needs to show evidence that a modem reboot makes no difference. If you phone tech support before 8pm, they will be able to test it and then transfer you to faults so you can book the engineer there and then, and hopefully one will be available tomorrrow

MB :monkey:

garry_boy
12-05-2004, 16:42
Thanks MB, I understand a need to filter out the cases where a reboot is sufficient to solve the problem, but this process seems a tad extreme for all cases - no ability to exert a bit of common sense/experience? Staff empowerment?

Anyhow, thanks for the reply - I'll call when I get home and see if the reboot manages to dry out the blown circuits.

Cheers!

Chris W
12-05-2004, 17:10
Thanks MB, I understand a need to filter out the cases where a reboot is sufficient to solve the problem, but this process seems a tad extreme for all cases - no ability to exert a bit of common sense/experience? Staff empowerment?

Anyhow, thanks for the reply - I'll call when I get home and see if the reboot manages to dry out the blown circuits.

Cheers!

yeh i see you point... but it is the techs that get the b***ocking if they don't stick to the process... if you lived anywhere apart from the celtric region i would raise this now for you without the call needed... but as the celtic ones get your transferred to FMC to book the engineer while you are on the call, i can't do it! :shrug:

MB

Chris W
13-05-2004, 13:38
strangly enough when i got into work last night, the first call that i took was from garry_boy! comlete coincidence because he doesn't know my real name or phone number!anyway got the engineer booked so hopefully everything should be sorted now :tu:

MB

abailey152
13-05-2004, 14:03
Good to see you've sorted it MB :tu:

But what a load of bo11ox you have to go through! I know it isn't you tech guys fault. It's NTL.....again! Why can't they accept that sometimes the user does know when something is knackered.....and I think electronic equipment being under 4 ft of water qualifies!

I think if it wasn't for how good some of you guys are, it'd all go pear-shaped, as there seems less and less in the way of proper support from those who run NTL.

punky
13-05-2004, 14:06
Whoa that was a weird coincidence. Did you remember to ask him to reboot the modem MB? ;) :)

I'm just wondering. If you really couldn't get to your modem, couldn't you just pretend? Would they really notice the differrence? I hope everyone doesn't do that though, otherwise the queues for an engineer would be horrendus.

Neil
13-05-2004, 14:09
yeh i see you point... but it is the techs that get the b***ocking if they don't stick to the process...

Ah-the good old ntl 'processes' that don't allow any degree of discretion to be used so that a customer can be helped. :dozey:

I'd luv to help you guv, honest. :rolleyes:

Just for the record-this post is not aimed in any way @ MB.

It is aimed at the bufoons above him that set & enforce these customer unfriendly 'processes'. :td:

Chris W
13-05-2004, 14:15
Whoa that was a weird coincidence. Did you remember to ask him to reboot the modem MB? ;) :)

i did indeed ;)

I'm just wondering. If you really couldn't get to your modem, couldn't you just pretend? Would they really notice the differrence? I hope everyone doesn't do that though, otherwise the queues for an engineer would be horrendus.

It depends what the problem is really... if the modem is constantly ranging the state will show up as 'ranging', and when the modem is unplugged it will show as 'offline'... once it is turned on again it will be 'ranging' again. However, you can't always tell because if the modem isn't ranging then it will show as 'offline' even when the power is on.

I know this doesn't apply in this case but some people will say they have rebooted the modem when they actually haven't, and doing it will resolve the problem. If the engineer comes when there is no need there is a risk that the person will be changed £50 for the callout, and it costs ntl about £250 so it is worth the 1minute that it takes to do it!!

MB

Paul
13-05-2004, 16:31
Just a point - but before ringing TS I would already have tried the rather obvious things like re-booting the CM so I wouldn't be too impressed by someone insisting I do it again - but - so far each tech has taken my word for this when asked :) (twice in three years).

th'engineer
15-05-2004, 06:40
Ah-the good old ntl 'processes' that don't allow any degree of discretion to be used so that a customer can be helped. :dozey:

I'd luv to help you guv, honest. :rolleyes:

Just for the record-this post is not aimed in any way @ MB.

It is aimed at the bufoons above him that set & enforce these customer unfriendly 'processes'. :td:
Its nice to know the NTL processes are still as rock solid an imoveable as ever :angel: