PDA

View Full Version : well it had to happen at some point

timewarrior2001
10-05-2004, 18:57
Yes after 2.5 years of being a BB user with NTL, I finally have my first gripe with it.

Its broke!

Cable modem has no lights except the Power light and it cannot lock onto a downstream signal.
I reported it on Saturday morning, 08:30 and I had to call local NTL today to find out why no one has been in touch.

Engineer scheduled for a visit tomorrow, but that makes it 5 days without access.

I guess I shouldnt really complain but its annoying when paying for a 1Mb service and you cant use it in anyway for 5 days.

Still as long as its repaired quickly and on Tuesday night I can honestly forgive NTL lol.

Oh and for the record tech support think the modem is fried :shrug:

OL1V3R
10-05-2004, 19:08
Hmm, mine borked two days ago .. There was a break in one of the mainsteam lines to the neighbourhood i live in. Phone, TV and Broadband went down from 2pm to 8pm!!! My life virtually came to a standstill!

Oh well, it has to happen sometimes!

paulyoung666
10-05-2004, 19:12
compensation or a freebie time i reckon , it worked for me the one and only time i was without service ;)

timewarrior2001
10-05-2004, 19:15
compensation or a freebie time i reckon , it worked for me the one and only time i was without service ;)

Perhaps your right, but I'd settle for an explanation why 512K ADSL is faster than 600K Cable.

I've had a few theories put forward, one is that NTL are rigging speeds.

Back on topic, how do I go about requesting NTL to refund the days I've not had service?

PS I'm at work now in case you wondered how I was posting.

scrotnig
10-05-2004, 21:05
Perhaps your right, but I'd settle for an explanation why 512K ADSL is faster than 600K Cable.

I've had a few theories put forward, one is that NTL are rigging speeds.

Back on topic, how do I go about requesting NTL to refund the days I've not had service?

PS I'm at work now in case you wondered how I was posting.
Are you in an ex-Cable & Wireless area, timewarrior?

andrew_wallasey
10-05-2004, 21:15
Just ring customer service, I once wasnt able to use one of out STB's for a week while I waited for them to do a repull and they refunded me for the week.

badnbusy
11-05-2004, 12:05
512k ADSL is not faster than 600k cable. If it is for you, then there is a problem somwhere.

with 512k ADSL you will get a max of around 60kb/s. With ntl 600k you will get a max of around 70kb/s

andrew_wallasey
11-05-2004, 12:58
512k ADSL is not faster than 600k cable. If it is for you, then there is a problem somwhere.

with 512k ADSL you will get a max of around 60kb/s. With ntl 600k you will get a max of around 70kb/s
Agreed!

Salu
11-05-2004, 13:09
Hmm, mine borked two days ago .. There was a break in one of the mainsteam lines to the neighbourhood i live in. Phone, TV and Broadband went down from 2pm to 8pm!!! My life virtually came to a standstill!

Oh well, it has to happen sometimes!

Surely you mean your virtual life came to a standstill? ;)

Stuartbe
11-05-2004, 13:20

Would be correct - apart from the proxy servers being in the way. Most users measure there download speed from websites so the download speed can be much slower going via the proxy than on ADSL that has no proxy's (most of the time).

ian@huth
11-05-2004, 14:14

This is not quite so clear cut and depends on what you are doing with your connection. If you are using applications that tend to saturate your upstream then downstream on NTL 600k can slow to a much lower speed than is the case with ADSL 512k.

timewarrior2001
11-05-2004, 18:34
well, thats a laugh, Engineer informed I had my speaker cable plugged into modem and that there was no fault with modem??????

Problem is, only speakers in there are connected to PC and working correctly.

I'm hoping this wasnt a vain attempt to negate any responsibility, how can a speaker wire be plugged into a SACM and prevent it from working? The modem was lit up but only th epower light, it couldnt lock onto a downstream signal??? Someone please tell me this engineer was joking.........please........anyone?

paulyoung666
11-05-2004, 18:54
well, thats a laugh, Engineer informed I had my speaker cable plugged into modem and that there was no fault with modem??????

Problem is, only speakers in there are connected to PC and working correctly.

I'm hoping this wasnt a vain attempt to negate any responsibility, how can a speaker wire be plugged into a SACM and prevent it from working? The modem was lit up but only th epower light, it couldnt lock onto a downstream signal??? Someone please tell me this engineer was joking.........please........anyone?

i hope you have been onto ntl and told them about this , it wouldnt surprise me if the silly b@stard didnt electrocute himself somewhere , what sort of ppl are ntl employing if this sort of thing happens :Yikes:

zovat
11-05-2004, 19:33
i hope you have been onto ntl and told them about this , it wouldnt surprise me if the silly b@stard didnt electrocute himself somewhere , what sort of ppl are ntl employing if this sort of thing happens :Yikes:
Now now Paul - play nicely with the poor engineers ....

There are some good ones out there - but there are also some real ar53holes who couldn't tell a modem from a laptop :monkey:

Timewarrior - I hope you called NTL and told them this - I'm sure some of the guys at CM support would be unavailable for a while due to laughing too much :)

But seriously - let NTL know, and get someone out to do the job properly...

paulyoung666
11-05-2004, 20:00
Now now Paul - play nicely with the poor engineers ....

There are some good ones out there - but there are also some real ar53holes who couldn't tell a modem from a laptop :monkey:

Timewarrior - I hope you called NTL and told them this - I'm sure some of the guys at CM support would be unavailable for a while due to laughing too much :)

But seriously - let NTL know, and get someone out to do the job properly...

couldnt agree more my mate , and i have repped accordingly ;) , this needs jumping on though :(

johnwileqs
11-05-2004, 21:07
in the engineers defence, i have more than once had to take the scanner/printer power supply out of the modem and fit a new modem psu. is your modem online now? if not you must call ntl to get it sorted and ask for the tech's manager to explain why you are still out of service after a tech visit.

timewarrior2001
11-05-2004, 21:38
I'm back online thankfully.

According to the engineer the cable used to provide power to the CM was not the correct one. It appears he may have been right, as there is a spare cable now in my computer room.
However, nothing is missing a power cable, so It actually appears I have gained an extra power lead.

The fault was that the only light showing on the Modem was the power light. Nothing else, modem was actively looking for the download stream but wasnt locking on to it.
All I can say is I am honestly baffled, I've sprouted a spare power lead, everything is present and functioning, BB is back online.

However, if the engineer states its a power lead fault I wouldnt be entitled do any downtime compo.

I dunno what to make of it all really, bizarre to say the least, anhow I'm happy that I have my connection back, after all it worked on Thursday with exactly the same cable today was "the wrong one".

I'll let you all draw your own conclusions.

paulyoung666
11-05-2004, 21:46
sounds like a load of ******** to me ;)

dragon
12-05-2004, 23:29
well id try to find out whats on the other end of this 'extra' lead, probaly another power transformer for the modem.