PDA

View Full Version : Poxy proxies...

DigiDragon
09-05-2004, 16:50
My default proxy (Cardiff) is crap at the moment, in fact it has been for the last week or so. I'm now using a Bristol proxy which is much faster. For example, the index for these forums takes about 40 seconds to fully load using my default proxy, compared with about 3 seconds when using the Bristol one.

Anyway, two questions if I may...

Should I stay using the Bristol proxy, or should I check now and again to see if my default one is working properly? Is it likely to be a temporary problem, and is it a problem if I carry on using someone else's proxy?

I use eDexter with a hosts file to block ads and other crap. But it doesn't block them when using a proxy, although I ticked the option to bypass the local machine address. Is there a way to get this to work?

Thanks.

quadplay
09-05-2004, 16:58
I'd say check your local proxy every so often - if working properly, it should be faster (if only by a matter of milliseconds). However, have you reported this to Technical Support? These problems only get fixed if we know about them!

DigiDragon
09-05-2004, 17:00
No, I haven't reported it. I just read some posts here about people changing proxies when having browsing problems.

Can I report it to an ntl guy here, or should I ring ntl?

quadplay
09-05-2004, 17:03
It's best to ring if you can, as we can then do some more detailed tests with you, but if you've not time, send me a PM with your Cable Modem's MAC address (found on the underneath of the modem under a barcode) and details of the sites that are loading slowly for you and I'll see what I can do!

DigiDragon
09-05-2004, 17:24
Thanks for the offer, but I just rang to report it and explained about the proxy issue. He seemed to understand what I was going on about, and said it should take 4-5 days to sort out.

So I'll check my default proxy then to see if it's any better.

quadplay
09-05-2004, 17:33
Fingers crossed! ;)

paulyoung666
09-05-2004, 18:35
the problem with jumping on a working proxy would surely be that it would get hammered to death if everyone did it , i think :confused: :D :D :D :D

Tezcatlipoca
10-05-2004, 21:00
the problem with jumping on a working proxy would surely be that it would get hammered to death if everyone did it , i think :confused: :D :D :D :D

Good point Paul :)

Stu started a thread about that a couple of months ago, which I have just moved from the BB Troubleshooting forum to the Email/Proxy/Webspace forum, & stuck :)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=9847

TheBlueRaja
10-05-2004, 21:07
Same issues here in Brighton.... seen another user complain about Fishersgate, not sure where that is though.

Switching Proxy from none to specific fixes it.

Interesting - whats going on here?

DigiDragon
16-05-2004, 12:55
Just thought I'd report back to say that they seem to have fixed my transparent proxy. I turned off my manual proxy settings and things are MUCH faster.

Strange thing though... I just checked nettools and broadband-help to see what proxy I'm on and it tells me that I'm using NO proxy.

Maybe they couldn't fix it and turned it off...?

Paul
16-05-2004, 14:26
Looks that way.

Chrysalis
16-05-2004, 21:19
best solution to turn it off, well done