PDA

View Full Version : It's Sooo Sloooooooooowwwwww...

Chris
18-07-2003, 21:16
Anyone know what's up this evening? My 600k BB is crawling. I'm lucky if I can download at more than about 3Kb/sec right now.

Is there a known issue in Hemel Hempstead? I can't believe this is down to contention...

Tristan
18-07-2003, 22:02
Y'know, it's taken me this long to work out that "Emmw Emstid" in your profile actually means Hemel Hempstead. I just thought it was somewhere in Wales with an unpronoucable name.

My God I'm dumb sometimes!

Martin
18-07-2003, 22:35
Originally posted by Tristan
My God I'm dumb sometimes!

Your not on your own I thought it was Wales to.:p

Not slow on the Internet moving along champion in Manchester.:)

Ramrod
18-07-2003, 23:40
Y'know, it's taken me this long to work out that "Emmw Emstid" in your profile actually means Hemel Hempstead. I just thought it was somewhere in Wales with an unpronoucable name.

My God I'm dumb sometimes! :rofl: :LOL: :D
edit *your not from daaahn saaaf then?:D *

Tristan
18-07-2003, 23:58
I live in Poole, and sometimes in Southampton. How much further south do you want?

But we speak the Queen's english here, don't you know!

And as a token gesture to make it look like I'm at least trying to be on-topic, BB is just fine here.

Xaccers
19-07-2003, 00:14
people in south-amp-ton in 'ampshire ooo-arrr speaking the queen's english? mwhahahaha
They don't even speak the queen's english in Portsmuff and they got their accent from londoners after the war :D

PS downloading fine here up in mingingham

Ramrod
19-07-2003, 00:18
I live in Poole, and sometimes in Southampton. How much further south do you want?

You just need to go as far saaf as Laandon:D
Especially sarf east laandon:D

Martin
19-07-2003, 00:31
My goodness I feel like northern correspondant up 'ere in the North:)

matty4donna
19-07-2003, 01:01
Originally posted by towny
I'm lucky if I can download at more than about 3Kb/sec right now watch out, you'll be hitting the cap soon at that speed! :D

th'engineer
19-07-2003, 06:52
Originally posted by matty4donna
watch out, you'll be hitting the cap soon at that speed! :D

Unless you have hit the cap:D

agentsmith
19-07-2003, 08:59
there's been a whole rash of Cisco router upgrades due to a serious vulnerability being discovered.
Speed depends a lot on how many routers you're going thru, so say UK sites should be fine, but US and worldwide sites are pretty terrible.

As routers are being upgraded and rebooted traffic is directed thru fewer routers as there's less available to spread the load.

Not very well worded, but I hope that helps explain things a little.

see here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3073897.stm) for details.

Ramrod
19-07-2003, 09:54
Anyone know what's up this evening? My 600k BB is crawling.I thought things were a bit slow last night:(

Chris
19-07-2003, 09:57
An update - spoke to someone in faults this morning and we thought we'd fixed it with a re-boot of the modem, but no ... 'cable' light is coming on and off constantly.

When it's on I get connection speeds equivalent to a 56k modem or worse. The faults person put me through to cable modem support, where the tech ran the diagnostics several times and said he was getting 'some crazy readings' ... he has filled in a request for an engineer to come round!

In the meantime I can just about get on-line, but I may not be around much for a couple of days ... :(

grum1978
19-07-2003, 10:03
Originally posted by towny
An update - spoke to someone in faults this morning and we thought we'd fixed it with a re-boot of the modem, but no ... 'cable' light is coming on and off constantly.

When it's on I get connection speeds equivalent to a 56k modem or worse. The faults person put me through to cable modem support, where the tech ran the diagnostics several times and said he was getting 'some crazy readings' ... he has filled in a request for an engineer to come round!

In the meantime I can just about get on-line, but I may not be around much for a couple of days ... :(

If you want me to get you a date for your tech sorted quickly pm me :)

btw you have a pm :)

Chris
19-07-2003, 23:22
Originally posted by grum1978
If you want me to get you a date for your tech sorted quickly pm me :)

btw you have a pm :)

Thanks for your help with this Grum ...

another update - all currently working at full speed ! :confused: :confused:

KingPhoenix
19-07-2003, 23:53
*wonders if grum sprinkled magic dust on connection box*?

grum1978
19-07-2003, 23:55
Originally posted by KingPhoenix
*wonders if grum sprinkled magic dust on connection box*?

Grum wishes as he could sell it and make a killing :p

KingPhoenix
19-07-2003, 23:59
Grum wishes as he could sell it and make a killing :p

lmao!!!!

you guys gotta have something, i use to call t/s when i had NTL BB, and if it was going slow i used to whinge like an old hag!!!!

And within minutes it was flying at super speed.... do you just swtich the upstream or what???

I like NTL BB Support, cos there on the level, they understand, and they know what ya mean when ya start talking jargon....

grum1978
20-07-2003, 00:07
Originally posted by KingPhoenix
lmao!!!!

you guys gotta have something, i use to call t/s when i had NTL BB, and if it was going slow i used to whinge like an old hag!!!!

And within minutes it was flying at super speed.... do you just swtich the upstream or what???

I like NTL BB Support, cos there on the level, they understand, and they know what ya mean when ya start talking jargon....

I don't do tech support!!

I'm customer services!!

KingPhoenix
20-07-2003, 00:19
I don't do tech support!!

I'm customer services!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h

So your the guys that dont have access to the magic dust eh??????? :D :p

Hmmmmm we know different now...

Before everyone goes PM'ing poor old grum, i am having a laugh?!?!?!? :eek: lol

You guys are still diamonds ;)

Chris
23-07-2003, 11:23
We're back!

Engineer came at 9.30 this morning (thanks for arranging the appointment, Grum!). As I had begun to suspect, the CM was totally pooched and he just installed a new one. No fuss, no bother. We now have a smart little silver box twinkling away on our desk. (anyone know what this baby's called? - I haven't seen it yet 'cos I'm at work)

Some odd things transpired though:

1. First, he did some work on the cables outside 'to complete the job your installer should have done'. As I've posted in other threads, I always suspected the guy who 'installed' our cable was a bit dodgy.....now I know it.

2. When he phoned up to register our new modem, our details on the system were apparently in a complete mess. He couldn't find any record of us at first, then after running some kind of search he found no fewer than FOUR registered BB users at our address ... wierd! Fortunately we've only even paid for one...

Anyway, none of this detracts from the helpful, hassle-free service we have had since the thing belly-up on Friday night. Thanks, ntl. That's at item to put in 'ntl heaven'. :)

dingosar
23-07-2003, 11:34
The modem is an Ambit 100/120 badged as an
NTL Home 100 or 120

grum1978
23-07-2003, 11:47
ntl home 120 modem at a guess.

glad you got it sorted though :)

Chris
23-07-2003, 14:50
Another strange thing - as he was leaving, the engineer commented that he had a number of appointments today in the local area, all with apparently similar problems.

Is there anything that can happen on the network that can 'kill' a cable modem? Seems odd that a lot of them in the same area should all die at the same time.

JRR_talking
23-07-2003, 15:58
He couldn't find any record of us at first, then after running some kind of search he found no fewer than FOUR registered BB users at our address ... wierd! Fortunately we've only even paid for one...

This is bizzare, I got charged on my 1st month for having 4 BB connections

John

klw
23-07-2003, 17:51
I have been having slow browsing problems myself lately, not restricted to browsing. I get timeouts when I try and ping any sites, I can't send attachments via email (even just 50k) and I can't FTP. I reported this on Monday and the tech got me to switch off PC, unplug modem and took me off of the sytem (whatever that means) and put back on again. It did seem okay while I was talking to him but then went slow again. Last night I called again and spoke to someone else who ran some diagnostics and told me the problem is a low signal to noise ratio. He said it may be affecting other users and would report it. How long do these things take to get fixed?

Chris
23-07-2003, 18:31
I'm not the expert here but it appears probs can be fixed quite quickly, unless there are major network issues. I was sorted within a couple of days. Don't just sit back and wait, though, phone 'em back after 48 hours if things haven't improved and ask for an update. They may not be able to tell you very much but it'll set your mind at rest that they've not forgotten you!

DeadKenny
24-07-2003, 01:47
Slow down here too. Modem isn't dropping connections and there's fat chance I'm going through the hassle of getting engineers out again (it's a very long story that I'm fed up with, but I did eventually get them to fix the mess created by the original installer, though it took numerous call-outs over a couple of years:(). There's little chance that I'll phone them though, on the basis of past experience :(.

Hmm, a check of my diagnostics show that my upstream is hitting 58 (the limit) again. It's been a very long time now since I had that problem after the eventual "fix" (which took it down to around 55). I wonder if the rumours of "heat" affecting things is true? Still, the modem isn't rebooting unlike it was before (which would give me no connection for months on end) so I don't think it's that, and the SNR and downstream levels are fine.

I suspect it's not a localised problem that requires wasting an engineers and my time (god knows I've had enough time wasted by NTL), but a network problem. Still, pinging the UBR is getting timeouts, so maybe... Oh, I don't know (or care anymore)
:shrug: :(

klw
23-08-2003, 10:21
I had low signal to noise ratio problems fixed externally about a month ago (see my previous post). They are back (as of last week), which according to tech support is rare. I have an engineer calling this afternoon but typically this morning (after switching the PC off all night) almost everything seems normal. I can send email again, previously I could only receive it, I can surf, download/upload. The only thing that I still have a problem with is pinging. I get 100% packetloss. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Stalker
23-08-2003, 17:44
most probably some ar$e of a worm that infects the registry, then tries to download the ACTUAL virus from somewhere or other. this trying bit used all my bandwidth as the router was'nt letting it through so it kept trying........

not very weell explained, but im a little drunk so i do appologize :D

§talk

Mick
25-08-2003, 18:48
Anyone experiencing really slow connection this evening?

I have changed my proxy several times now, most sites load slowy and some just do not load at all.... :grind:

Paul K
25-08-2003, 19:00
Well my firewall is still getting hammered on port 135 so it might be slow but I have'nt noticed too much. Some sites have lagged a little on the load times, some have failled but then whats new, been like that for about a week now.
(Not totally on topic but.. )Has anyone else been taking over 5000+ hits per day on port 135 or am I just lucky ;)

muff
26-08-2003, 08:54
135 is a netbios port, the one that Windows uses to talk to other Windows boxes.

Windows being the friendly beast that it is, it chatters away sending zillions of packets out on 135 in the hope of meeting new Windows machines.

Check your firewall logs, you will probably find that your own machine is the source of the packets.

duncant403
26-08-2003, 09:21
Originally posted by muff
135 is a netbios port, the one that Windows uses to talk to other Windows boxes.

Windows being the friendly beast that it is, it chatters away sending zillions of packets out on 135 in the hope of meeting new Windows machines.

Check your firewall logs, you will probably find that your own machine is the source of the packets.

No, no, no, no. Port 137 is the Netbios port.
Port 135 is the port being attacked by the Blaster virus.

muff
26-08-2003, 09:32
Damn, sorry yeah. Got my ports mixed. 125 is RPC and it is the DCOM vulnerability blaster is attempting to expoit.

Sorry for the stupid information, posting before my brain woke up.

Mick
26-08-2003, 09:53
Damn, sorry yeah. Got my ports mixed. 125 is RPC and it is the DCOM vulnerability blaster is attempting to expoit.

No need to apologise muff. We can all make errors at times. :)

:welcome: to the site muff. ;)

Lord Nikon
26-08-2003, 10:12

Coffee Break time? :D

Welcome to the site :D :beer: :beer: :drunk:

Paul K
26-08-2003, 12:31
Only one key out :) Better than I do before coffee :p

Lord Nikon
26-08-2003, 12:42
As I always say....

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
It is by the beans of java that thoughts acquire speed
Hands acquire shaking
The shaking becomes a warning

not having any speed issues myself :D

Sat here online while watching the video for George Clinton - Paint the whitehouse black streaming full screen on my other monitor :D

gotta love http://launch.yahoo.com (found it mentioned on ntlhell and thought I would check it out) quality isn't bad :D

the fun part is it can stream the video to a DIALUP connection! (though on 1 mbit its a lot higher quality, even though I limit the stream to 300k max so I still have bandwidth to play with lol)

basa
26-08-2003, 13:07
Here in sunny Manchester :rolleyes: my 150k BB is hot ! :D

I regularly download @ 30kbps !! (never below 24kbps) although browsing was slow with DNS being hammered by the Blaster.

Except this morning I had no BB at all :confused: until I rebooted the STB etc., now even the DNS seems far quicker !! :D :D

One happy bunny !! :D :D

Ramrod
26-08-2003, 15:31
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
As I always say....

It is by the beans of java that thoughts acquire speed
Hands acquire shaking
The shaking becomes a warning

That used to be me. Believe me, life is better without the evil bean!:D