PDA

View Full Version : Router v software firewall

Mal
04-05-2004, 19:06
Opinions needed really...

Me being extremely paranoid and due to my computer going through a severe allergic reaction last year to different software firewalls, I got a router, just for the firewall.

I also have Norton Internet Security.

Do I need both or is the router and a AV program fine?

(Please don't get into a Norton bashing thread, this is not what it's about. Pretend it's a brand X Firewall. ;) )

Probably the thing I would miss is the "productivity control" on NIS, as I have a user account set up for my nephew and it gives a bit of control.

homealone
04-05-2004, 19:16
Hi Mal

personally I don't think you can be too careful - maybe OTT, but I use a router, an Anti Virus and a software firewall. ( the router is primarily for sharing the connection with my son).

My justification is the router NAT function should catch incoming exploits, the software firewall should detect any attempt by a nasty to 'phone home' and the AV should catch any nasties in emails etc. All I can say is that (touch wood!) I have never had any problems with this set up.:)

hth

Paul K
04-05-2004, 19:43
Totally agree with Gaz, you should still use a good software firewall to catch any outbound exploits and to help you keep track on what your other applications are doing behind your back.

Tezcatlipoca
04-05-2004, 20:13
Hi Mal

personally I don't think you can be too careful - maybe OTT, but I use a router, an Anti Virus and a software firewall. ( the router is primarily for sharing the connection with my son).

My justification is the router NAT function should catch incoming exploits, the software firewall should detect any attempt by a nasty to 'phone home' and the AV should catch any nasties in emails etc. All I can say is that (touch wood!) I have never had any problems with this set up.:)

hth

Same here. I use a hardware NAT router for connection sharing & for inbound protection, plus a software firewall to control outbound traffic, & finally an AV prog.

downquark1
04-05-2004, 20:34
I just use a NAT router, virus scanner and spyware scanner. I check tasks running and sometimes netstat. No software firewall.

Mal
05-05-2004, 14:48
Thanks for your help.

At least I know it's not just me being too paraniod ;) I think I'll stick with the setup I've got. You never know. ;)

Defiant
05-05-2004, 14:52
Just use the new SP2 XP firewall and zonealarm pro here but its been going ape the last few days. Most likely because of this new worm