PDA

View Full Version : XBOX: why xbox live?

Chris
18-07-2003, 16:04
Now go easy on me, this is the first time I've started a thread on any gaming forum.....

I already have a PS2, although it's not online. If I were to decide to get into an online service, is xbox live so much better than the PS2 version that it's worth me buying an xbox?

Or should I stick with what I've got? (and I'm not made of money, sadly).

EDIT - I forgot to tag my thread title!

Jarandco
18-07-2003, 16:26
Well if you have broadband and some money i would recomend you get xbox live as your console gaming service! Xbox has been built to support this service from day one so its all in the box!

The main features of live are:
Gamertag - your unique ID that you kep with you forever on all games!
Friends List - You can have a friends list just like messenger and you can see what game they are playing if you can join them and you can send them invites to games!
Voice communicator - You can talk to people in every single xbox live game thier is - every game supports it so you can always talk to people whilst playing!
Downlaodable content - Due to the xbox's harddrive new game levels, patches cras, weapons, maps and much more can be added to each game with downloadable content for live games and some non live games - for example splinter cell - which has a new level available to downlaod from Live only!
Scoreboards - many games have scoreboards so you can see just how good you actually are in the world, for different game types, different maps, each week, each month and overall!

You get all of this for just 39.99 - which includes the headset 3 demos - moto gp 1, wacked and mechassault and a years subscription to the service!

Good isnt it - but there is more - there will be over 100 live games out by the end of this year in the UK alone! And this autumn xbox live is getting a makeover with many new features! All these new features can be seen here: www.xbox.com/live
(oh and you forgot to but XBOX: infront of your topic!)

robmurphy21
18-07-2003, 16:49
I have a PS2, and is on-line, but the Xbox is far better. Friends inviting you to join a game. Switching on and seeing who is playing what. The only problem i've found is that there is only 24 hours in a day, and no matter what time of the day or night there is always someone to play. You will not get much sleep!

ic14
18-07-2003, 18:07
Well having both i would have too say i agree with jar about xbox live!

FelonX
18-07-2003, 19:51
heh if you can put up with 2v2 games on ghost recon and wolfenstein jaja go for it but untill there are some dedicated servers out there me sticks to the pc :)

Jarandco
18-07-2003, 20:57
2 vs 2? what are you talking about and rtcw is perfectly fine! The 16 player games are excellent as the nthw clan knows!

ic14
18-07-2003, 21:07
And 8 is good as well.

zoombini
18-07-2003, 21:09
Ahem Jar.... not everyone can take an xbox into work to act as a server....were not all called Boom..lol

There are some lag issues with some of the initial games, but as the developers make more it seems to be improving.
Some servers are appearing.
With 600k you can usually host 6, 1mb usually 8 in GR without lag.
Thats enough for a good game Towny.

Go on, go for it, you won't regret it.
You will however have to start saving oodles of money to get the good live games as they come out, not to forget Halo2 when it eventually arrives.

eddie00001
18-07-2003, 23:10
Simple answer:

Xbox Live is the Dogs ********!!!

Reddevil63
18-07-2003, 23:43
Xbox Live m8 as nothing comes close to it at the moment and TBH can't see PS2 coming anywhere near what Live offers.

Jar's post says it all!

Mark15
19-07-2003, 12:37
I thought it was 50 live games by end on 2003