PDA

View Full Version : SB4100 Wanna Take It With Me

rscosworth
26-04-2004, 21:26
Hi guys

Moving house soon and will be opening a new fresh ntl account for broadband, phone telly etc etc

My problem is i currently have a SB4100 modem and its great, hooks up to my belkin router and works flawlessly.

Everyone i know who have recnelty got NTL BB have been given a rather ugly modem badged NTL and use software called direct connect

Do you know if it is possible for me to take my modem from old to new account?
Do you know if these new modems can work in the same way without software and without this direct connect?
Do these new modems work with a router??

Thanks guys, your help will be much appreciated

Matuka
26-04-2004, 21:47
I'd definately take it with you as you cannot leave it there, you are responsible for it.

Your best option is to contact NTL themselves & ask them, say that your moving house & want to continue using your current modem, I can't see them refusing this as it saves them money.

Or just get it installed & ask the engineer to set it up using it instead of a newer one.

Tezcatlipoca
26-04-2004, 21:59
Hi guys

Moving house soon and will be opening a new fresh ntl account for broadband, phone telly etc etc

My problem is i currently have a SB4100 modem and its great, hooks up to my belkin router and works flawlessly.

Everyone i know who have recnelty got NTL BB have been given a rather ugly modem badged NTL and use software called direct connect

Do you know if it is possible for me to take my modem from old to new account?

Don't know, but I don't see why not. Easiest thing is to just phone CS & ask :)

They may not be bothered about having it back anyway, & if you use it at your new address, it saves them giving you another one.

Slightly different situation I had a few years ago...I had NTL broadband at my parents' house. It was on my Dad's NTL account, but I paid for it (as it was me who used it). When I left home, & moved into my new place, I signed up with NTL, & asked them if I could simply take the modem from my parents' house, as I was going to get NTL BB on my own NTL account at my new place (& my Dad didn't want or need it). They let me do that, no problem. I took the modem with me, & they migrated the BB subscription from my Dad's NTL account to my new NTL account.

Do you know if these new modems can work in the same way without software and without this direct connect?

Yes. The new NTL modems are badged as "ntl:home" modems, made by Ambit. They work in the same way, & do not need Correct Connect at all (LOL, *no one* needs Correct Connect!)

Do these new modems work with a router??

Yep. They have an ethernet port as well as a USB port, so can be used with a router.

Sipowicz
26-04-2004, 22:02
I took my modem (Terayon TJ210 - never given me any trouble) with me when I moved house 15 months ago ! (albeit 400 yards) I also took my stb as well, when they re-connected me, they swapped the stb for a refurb!
So I cannot see why you can't take yours.

rscosworth
26-04-2004, 22:02
thats a similar situation to me

living with parents and i pay for the account in my dads name

will be starting an account at a diff address in my own name and my parents dont want it anymore

Tezcatlipoca
26-04-2004, 22:46
thats a similar situation to me

living with parents and i pay for the account in my dads name

will be starting an account at a diff address in my own name and my parents dont want it anymore

Ah, same as me, then.

Don't see why they wouldn't let you do it.

Oh, one bit of advice though: Check your new bills thoroughly! ;)

The one & only problem I had when leaving home & getting my own account, was that NTL decided to start sending my parents' NTL bill to my address as well as my bill....Got it sorted soon after, but was still annoying. LOL, hopefully their systems are better than that now.

Chris W
26-04-2004, 23:41
If you are keeping the same BB account and moving house then keeping the cable modem will be no problem.

HOWEVER if you take the cable modem from another account, and then try to register a new one, it will not work, you will get an error message something like could not identify cable modem. This is because (in simplified terms) when you go through the registration process the modem that you are registering has no record on the ntl system, and the registration creates the record. If it is there already, with a different account number on it too, it will not do it.

There is a way around this where you can get t/s to nuke the mac address of your old modem, so you can reregister with it, but the would not nuke a modem for you on your parents account without speaking to both parties. So IMO it is probably more hassle than it is worth.

Why do you not just transfer the account into your name from your parents while you are still living there, and then ring them when you move and go through the housemove process easily and keep the same modem!

MB

BBKing
27-04-2004, 11:24
Depending on where you're moving to, the modem may not work. If you're moving within the original ntl area it should, although you may need to re-register. If you're moving into the former CWC areas or into Westminster it won't as these use the EuroDOCSIS protocol which only the Ambit 120 or 200 support.

e.g. moving from Woking to Guildford is fine, but moving from Woking to Addlestone wouldn't, even though it isn't very far.

Nothing much wrong with the Ambits from the user POV, ethernet, small, unobtrusive, pretty reliable*

dragon
30-04-2004, 23:34
my mate got one of them ntl modems and when i setup his network for him i plugged it into a router, had no problems at all with it :)

Jonboy
01-05-2004, 02:39
your surfboard should work just fine as lone as when you hook it up the head end are aware of the mac address which either you or the engineer will have to phone thru what ever you do hang on to that modem its the best bit of kit ever to come out of ntl scince the war LoL

dragon
01-05-2004, 07:55
before ntl started giving out the modems didn't you have to either rent or buy them anyway

we have a motorola surfboard (actaully i think its a 4100 lol) but it belongs to my dad not ntl.

if this the case they couldnt stop you from taking it because its actaully yours anyway :D

of course i spose they could say you not allowed to reconnect it to their notwork err i mean network but i can't really see them doing that :erm: