PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Sales Up, Microsoft Sees Market Share Gain

Caspar
18-07-2003, 02:06
Looking good every month :D

Reuters (http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=3112372)

Some quick details:

Upto May 2003 the PS2 had sold 17.7 million units.

and XBOX:
Since the November 2001 launch of Xbox, Microsoft said it has sold 9.4 million units worldwide, and by June 2004 it said it expects that number to rise to between 14.5 million and 16 million units. The total units sold during fiscal 2003 was 5.5 million.

This is made up by:
The majority of the installed base to date, 6.2 million units, is in North America, with 2.2 million in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, and 1 million in the Asia-Pacific region, which is primarily the Japanese market. The Xbox, by Microsoft's own admission, has struggled in Japan.

XBOX Live:
Xbox Live, Microsoft's online gaming service, finished the year with about 500,000 subscribers, the company said, with expectations it will reach 1 million by next summer.

And always a point of discussion:
In the past, weak Xbox sales have actually been good for Microsoft's bottom line, since the company loses an amount believed to be $75 or more on each Xbox it sells.

Jarandco
18-07-2003, 09:01
Good good thast the sort of news we like to hear! I knew that xbox was lagging behind ps2 but anything will be but glad for it to be confirmed its doing better than the cube! Not bad worldwide sales have a few more in europe to make it look like we actually like the xbox and it will be better!!

Xbox live subscribers not bad considering broadband is less popular (maybe just over here - but its still good!)

As always the loss on every xbox - yes this is annoying but with the high attachment rate for each console surely that is made up? Well if not microsoft seem o be willing to fit the bill - they have very deep pockets!

TigaSefi
18-07-2003, 09:15
Yes, yes, keep convincing yourself :p :)

Boom
18-07-2003, 09:20
No convincing necessary, already know its the best console platform.

Originally posted by TigaSefi

Jarandco
18-07-2003, 09:34

what convincing its all facts? and its true its in second place

(by the way i aint biased as i own a cube!!)

Mantrid
18-07-2003, 10:12
Looks good.

TigaSefi
21-07-2003, 15:13
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/31836.html

LOL.. sorry to pee on ur parade :p

Ste Riley
21-07-2003, 16:07
Sales are still very poor in Japan at the moment which is quite bad since a lot of great games end up coming from there.

Xbox will rise though, Gamecube will die.

kronas
21-07-2003, 16:22
Originally posted by SteRiley
[BGamecube will die. [/B]

as i have said all along that would happen xbox and ps2 would survive.............

ic14
21-07-2003, 17:23
Gamecube will die!

Oh dhut up!!!!

Theres no way nintendo will lwt the gamecube die

TigaSefi
22-07-2003, 16:11
Kronass u ass :p there no way that Gamecube will die :) there a Gamecube 2 coming out heh...... bring it on....

Caspar
22-07-2003, 16:18
Kronass u ass :p there no way that Gamecube will die :) there a Gamecube 2 coming out heh...... bring it on....

:notopic:

Please post GameCube-related postings here (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=21).

TigaSefi
22-07-2003, 16:48
yeah well blame the others for going off topic. just defending my ground :p

Defiant
22-07-2003, 17:04
Originally posted by ic14
Gamecube will die!

Oh dhut up!!!!

Theres no way nintendo will lwt the gamecube die

No not while their's kids out their not sure what they want and perents that don't have a clue whats what in the console world

Caspar
22-07-2003, 19:16
Originally posted by Defiant
No not while their's kids out their not sure what they want and perents that don't have a clue whats what in the console world

This is true...I remember when I was in Game many months ago...some Dad came in asking for recommendations for what to buy his son. The Game assistant recommended the PS, simply because it would return a higher yield than them selling the Dad an XBOX, i.e. game sales

...I'm sure this is not a story that'll surprise people!

kronas
22-07-2003, 19:17
if im unsure about something i do a little thing called research use the net or pysically go look at the item and look at the software available it helps :)

TigaSefi
23-07-2003, 09:31
And you do a bit of research to what games you wanna play, it is simple enough to decide what you're gonna get.

Doctor E
23-07-2003, 09:40
Oh, Caspar. I have heard all this before. You recall, I run a Mac, and we Mac users have our ears tuned to this stuff all the time. People keep saying that the Mac is dead. Bollox. How can the third largest computer company in the world who have a record of selling the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th fastest-selling computer models of all time possibly go under? It's daft. Same goes for XBox ... MS will make darned sure it survives.

Anyhow ... even if the XBox eventually gets pulled ... we all go buy PS3s when they come out. After all, we are the same customer base who would probably be early adopters of XBox2 if such a thing came into being, i.e., we'll be replacing the machines ANYWAY!

Nige.

Caspar
23-07-2003, 09:46
Originally posted by Doctor E
Oh, Caspar. I have heard all this before. You recall, I run a Mac, and we Mac users have our ears tuned to this stuff all the time. People keep saying that the Mac is dead. Bollox. How can the third largest computer company in the world who have a record of selling the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th fastest-selling computer models of all time possibly go under? It's daft. Same goes for XBox ... MS will make darned sure it survives.

Anyhow ... even if the XBox eventually gets pulled ... we all go buy PS3s when they come out. After all, we are the same customer base who would probably be early adopters of XBox2 if such a thing came into being, i.e., we'll be replacing the machines ANYWAY!

Nige.

Erm, who said MACs are dead, do they not know anything!...

Anyway, you seem a bit sceptical that there will be an XBOX2, why is this. The XBOX project is never in doubt, even though MS lose money per console....as we know that's not MS' objective. Well first of all they make all their money on the games (average person has 5 games ;) ) secondly...XBOX is just the precurser to XBOX2...the true home entertainment expereince. MS are new...and they wont backdown. The true war is not the XBOX and PS2...it's the XBOX2 and the PS3 (if indeed PS3 will ever emerge!)

Doctor E
23-07-2003, 10:22
I don't doubt that XBox 2 will happen. It's just for those who think it looks shaky, it doesn't actually matter. There will always be consoles, and there will always be Bungie!

Nige

TigaSefi
23-07-2003, 10:43
You better hope Xbox 2 looks a lot more "futuristic" than wot it is now which is a door stopper no less.

Caspar
23-07-2003, 10:50
You better hope Xbox 2 looks a lot more "futuristic" than wot it is now which is a door stopper no less.

Compared to the PS2 the XBOX is a work of art (esp the Green Limited Edition XBOX), and should be in a gallary; compared to which PS2 should be in museum! :p

fluds
23-07-2003, 10:56
I feel the idea MS had with the look of the xbox was to drag gaming and entertainment out of the little box room (the one most people stick thier pc's in) and thier kids bedrooms and move it to a central living area. Xbox fits snuggly in a video / dvd compartment of a tv cabinet( it blends in to a normal living environment). If Sony keep copying Ms lead in console development I doubt PS3 will be a funny shape.

TigaSefi
23-07-2003, 10:58
Surely the Pile o ****e 2 can be either upright or horizontal ?

Boom
23-07-2003, 11:14
One of the dumbest gimmicks ever, though I suppose kicking field goals with the PS2 console isn't the worse sport out there.

Surely the Pile o ****e 2 can be either upright or horizontal ?

ic14
23-07-2003, 17:45
Originally posted by Boom
One of the dumbest gimmicks ever, though I suppose kicking field goals with the PS2 console isn't the worse sport out there.
:rofl:

Best thing for them!!

(And i own one... So dont call me biased!)

Boom
24-07-2003, 16:27
I own two (given to me as presents and I own a total of two games for them) and they quietly gather dust in the corner of my games room!

Originally posted by ic14
:rofl:

Best thing for them!!

(And i own one... So dont call me biased!)

kronas
24-07-2003, 16:34
i dont play either except winning eleven 6 on my ps2 i havent even touched that for a while!!!

Ste Riley
28-07-2003, 16:06
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/31836.html

LOL.. sorry to pee on ur parade :p

Nuff said:
http://www.madgamers.net/news/view.php?id=2272

TigaSefi
28-07-2003, 16:25
lol, duh, they stopped selling it the same time as dixons, it ain't new news. It just that the catalogue been updated for the next season. Get a grip :p... beside only daft ppl buy hardware/games from Argos - I last entered that store about 1995 thanks. They are so overpriced it's stupid. My games come from the internet cos that the best place to get them.

Boom
28-07-2003, 16:36
From the internet? Imported? Cause it has to be said Nintendo treats Europe like *****e with games that never come here (Animal Crossing) or come here when the game has already been released in Japan for like 6 months.

Sure Xbox and PS2 get delays on games, but Nintendo really don't seem to give a f*ck about Europe. You wonder why retailers pull it off shelves.

lol, duh, they stopped selling it the same time as dixons, it ain't new news. It just that the catalogue been updated for the next season. Get a grip :p... beside only daft ppl buy hardware/games from Argos - I last entered that store about 1995 thanks. They are so overpriced it's stupid. My games come from the internet cos that the best place to get them.

TigaSefi
28-07-2003, 16:47
Lol I ain't bothered bout delays. Though I have to say I did import Mario Golf this week cos they have f*cked this release up till Spring 2004 ???? WTF are they thinking. But like I said I ain't bothered. I ain't a great gamer so I still playing Zelda/Metroid Prime/Super Monkey Ball. I like my games to be of value and entertaining which they are :). Internet is best cos all games are under £30 for all consoles if you look hard enough. Pre ordering on Amazon guarentees all games under £30 :)

Boom
28-07-2003, 16:53
Yeah, I'm still playing Prime cause (as Jar has heard) I suck at it, but I'm finally close to the finish. When that's done, I'm finally breaking the seal on Zelda or maybe Ikaruga. I do like the few games I have for the Cube, but I think its a bit worrying about the lack of development support Nintendo is getting for this console (despite the fact they make a profit and the GBA seems to be a cash-cow).

Totally agree about internet shopping, but I haven't resorted to importing and don't want to have to just to play games that should have been here to begin with or released within a few months of their Japanese release.

Lol I ain't bothered bout delays. Though I have to say I did import Mario Golf this week cos they have f*cked this release up till Spring 2004 ???? WTF are they thinking. But like I said I ain't bothered. I ain't a great gamer so I still playing Zelda/Metroid Prime/Super Monkey Ball. I like my games to be of value and entertaining which they are :). Internet is best cos all games are under £30 for all consoles if you look hard enough. Pre ordering on Amazon guarentees all games under £30 :)

timewarrior2001
28-07-2003, 17:38
My what an interesting thread.

Theres one thing thats causing problems for consoles as a whole and thats the PC. Although a PC costs a hell of a lot more and can lead ot more trouble, people are now realising that they dont need consoles as the PC can do pretty much the same.

Also a better choice of games wouldnt hurt some consoles, I have literally just purchased an Xbox......theres not many games but I like it.
Have been astonished at the price of the software dev kits though, been quoted around $10,000 for an Xbox dev kit (related to work) It seems that Renderware is becoming popular, and any company using that for an Xbox release essentially has PS2 and GC I beleive.

GC is failing, which is a shame, but Nintendo still havent realised that the money from Donkey Kong is drying up lol. They seriously need to re-invest in software titles and make sure theres still 3 consoles out there. Mind you if the rumours of Microsoft buying up the remains of Sega are true who knows what the fufture holds?

Boom
29-07-2003, 09:57
Ahh...I don't think ppl are just now realising a PC is better. I've been playing PC games since 8088. I've been playing PC games more often over the last 5 years more than consoles, but with XBL, I know longer have to worry about getting latest drivers, latest patches, etc.

I still play PC games, but XBL, IMO, is much better for the built-in voice and for lack of cheaters online. A downside maybe not having a mouse and keyboard for FPS games, but I don't mind as long as I'm on a level-playing field against other ppl online and don't have to call an admin to kick someone for cheating.

Originally posted by timewarrior2001
My what an interesting thread.

Theres one thing thats causing problems for consoles as a whole and thats the PC. Although a PC costs a hell of a lot more and can lead ot more trouble, people are now realising that they dont need consoles as the PC can do pretty much the same.

Caspar
29-07-2003, 10:10
Originally posted by Boom
Ahh...I don't think ppl are just now realising a PC is better. I've been playing PC games since 8088. I've been playing PC games more often over the last 5 years than consoles, but with XBL, I know longer have to worry about getting latest drivers, latest patches, etc.

I still play PC games, but XBL, IMO, is much better for the built-in voice and for lack of cheaters online. A downside maybe not having a mouse and keyboard for FPS games, but I don't mind as long as I'm on a level-playing field against other ppl online and don't have to call an admin to kick someone for cheating.

Ditto what Boom said..... first party voice headset communication is the best part XBOX has over PC games.

Plus with games now supporting voice recognition for gameplay commands (Rainbow Six 3) the world is at XBOX's doors! (so XBOX is truely stopping those doors now!, not because of it's physical size! :p )

Caspar
30-07-2003, 08:54
PS' end of days in Australia is also nigh!

Xbox plays catch-up to PS2 (http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6831568%255E15321,00.html)

Caspar
30-07-2003, 11:57
This will also help :D - just a little! :p

Wistron to ship 1.6 million Xbox game consoles (http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/07/30&pages=09&seq=62)