PDA

View Full Version : NTL lies!

Scarlett
17-07-2003, 23:22
Will NTL be honest about just how bad a service outage is, or even where it is ?

Lets look at this little gem from the server status page...

Broadband Internet Service - Papworth
14 July 2003 13:39

ntl:home broadband internet customers in the CB4,PE18,PE19,PE28 and PE29 postcode regions may experience intermittent or total loss of service due to essential maintenance in the area.

Our engineers are aware and are working towards a resolution as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologies for any inconveience caused

Well PE18 doesn't exist as far as yell.com is concernee (searched for post office) PE19 is the whole of St Neots (27,000 people at the last count) PE 28 and PE29 appear to be Huntingdon and the surrounding villages ( a Fair few people!) and CB4 is 1 sixth of cambridge and Does not include Papworth Everard Is there something that NTL would like to tell us :mad: :mad: :mad:

andygrif
18-07-2003, 11:04
That's quite funny...and outage in an area that does not exist....although technically they are correct!!

Stuart
18-07-2003, 11:09
Originally posted by Scarlett
Will NTL be honest about just how bad a service outage is, or even where it is ?

Well PE18 doesn't exist as far as yell.com is concernee (searched for post office) PE19 is the whole of St Neots (27,000 people at the last count) PE 28 and PE29 appear to be Huntingdon and the surrounding villages ( a Fair few people!) and CB4 is 1 sixth of cambridge and Does not include Papworth Everard Is there something that NTL would like to tell us :mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't know the geography of the area, so I could be wrong here, but bear in mind that NTL's networks don't necessarily correspond to areas. Assuming all those postcodes are near each other (including the CB4 one), it's entirely possible they are on the same network.

grum1978
18-07-2003, 11:31
Originally posted by scastle
I don't know the geography of the area, so I could be wrong here, but bear in mind that NTL's networks don't necessarily correspond to areas. Assuming all those postcodes are near each other (including the CB4 one), it's entirely possible they are on the same network.

its done by UBR as far as i am aware :eek:

ntlrebel
18-07-2003, 13:57
Originally posted by Scarlett

As you have posted this on both, I will reply on both.

I honestly can't believe how petty this statement is.

If Ntl don't give out any information that is wrong.

If Ntl give out too much information that is wrong too.

How specific would you like it to be? Mr Jones at number 25 Hilltop Terrace will be affected by the outage but Mrs Smith at 29 won't.

For God sake put you dummy back in and grow up.

Stuart
18-07-2003, 14:36
Originally posted by grum1978
its done by UBR as far as i am aware :eek:

That's actually what I was getting at. The boundries of areas served by the UBRs may not tie up with the town or village boundries, or postcode boundries.

One UBR may service several villages and parts of a town as well. On the other hand, you may need two or three UBRs to service the town.

Scarlett
20-07-2003, 22:13
Originally posted by ntlrebel
As you have posted this on both, I will reply on both.

I honestly can't believe how petty this statement is.

If Ntl don't give out any information that is wrong.

If Ntl give out too much information that is wrong too.

How specific would you like it to be? Mr Jones at number 25 Hilltop Terrace will be affected by the outage but Mrs Smith at 29 won't.

For God sake put you dummy back in and grow up.

Okay I agree that NTL may/may not be able to provide the exact information that people want. The ONLY reason the I know it might affect me is because MY EMAIL didn't work either and I had to check the page with the full details.

But before you go off an claim that I'm just being petty please note the following facts...

1) When I posted this I didn't know that NTL had a box in Papworth that served most places around Papworth except Papworth. (okay it may serve Papworth and Cambourne as well but they weren't affected)

2) I still stand by the fact the the fault appeared to be reported for Papworth but wasn't

3) There (as far as I am aware) is no quantifying statement as to the fact that the title may not be 100% accurate as to the location of the fault.

Okay, Not a happy punter here.

Scarlett.