PDA

View Full Version : Call barring did not work.... back to bt

Mike
23-04-2004, 12:14
Hi all

Just been speaking to work colleague about call barring from his home phone.

He set up call barring to stop his kids phoning mobile numbers costing him £1.00 per month.

He has just looked at his last two bills in and despite being charged for call barring he had £58.00 of phone calls to mobile numbers.

He contacted ntl and was told sorry about the mistake we will refund youââ‚Âà ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦..good result he thoughtââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚¦Ã¢Ãà ‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¦ÃƒÆ ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ ’‚¦.until they said it would only be for the £1.00 per month !!!!!!!!!! not the calls to the mobile phone.

Guess who is just about to cancel hisââ‚Âà ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦..Telephone/broadband/TV packages and is going back to BT ????

MovedGoalPosts
23-04-2004, 12:19
That's rediculous. If he's ordered a service and the supplier agrees to provide it, then it must be the supplier that takes the can for failing to provide it.

A simple case me thinks of refusing to pay that bill.

monkey2468
23-04-2004, 12:20
was it barring that he controls him self with a pin or a standard bar which cant be removed?

Neil
23-04-2004, 12:20
I must confess-I thought carr barring only barred 'premium rate' numbers such as 0906 etc, as opposed to mobiles.

I didn't think you could bar mobile numbers? :confused:

It looks like (from what you have described) your friend rung up & asked for call barring (thinking it covered mobile calls), ntl enabled it, but as it only barrs premium numbers the bill was climbing due to mobile calls being made, but I'm not sure how ntl are to blame if they switched on the service that your friend asked for??

If they told him that the bar would apply to mobile calls of course, then that's a totally different matter.

Marge
23-04-2004, 12:25
Depends which area he is in, if he was given a pin number and code then he would have to activate the call barring himself

*341# bars all calls except 999
*342# bars national, international and mobile

and so on

however some areas have a call barring that is automatically applied to the line and you have to enter a code to make any kind of call

which area does your friend live in ???

Mike
23-04-2004, 12:33
Thanks all

Lives in Oxfordshire

He spoke to ntl and was told it was at a 'level' that covered mobile phones. Since talking to ntl it works ie when he phones a mobile he get a continuous tone.

Marge
23-04-2004, 12:35
Sorry, don't cover Oxford so don't know exactly how it works in that area :shrug:

Paul
23-04-2004, 13:19
There is no call baring option (I know of) to block calls specifically to mobile numbers (other than barring all calls). Did he perhaps assume that the premium rate barring would apply to mobile numbers - when in fact it does not ?

The same applies to BT lines as well, as far as I know.

Mike
23-04-2004, 13:39
There is no call baring option (I know of) to block calls specifically to mobile numbers (other than barring all calls). Did he perhaps assume that the premium rate barring would apply to mobile numbers - when in fact it does not ?

The same applies to BT lines as well, as far as I know.

He spoke to ntl about his kids phoning mobile numbers....they said ' this call barring package will stop it happening' which obviously it did not.

Paul
23-04-2004, 14:06
He spoke to ntl about his kids phoning mobile numbers....they said ' this call barring package will stop it happening' which obviously it did not.

In that case they have either mis-informed him, in which case they are at fault and should foot the bill, or possibly he has not set the barring correctly.

I suppose a third possibility could be that his kids have found a way to bypass the barring.

Derek
23-04-2004, 14:26
A few times I've had to change customers pin numbers as the CB pin shows up by pressing the redial button on the phone.

Normally if the service wasn't applied correctly customers would be told when they try to activate the service and if there was a fault it wouldn't just affect 1 person.

Another option is as Pem said the kids have bypassed it by dialling through the operator instead of directly.

Mike
23-04-2004, 14:45
In that case they have either mis-informed him, in which case they are at fault and should foot the bill, or possibly he has not set the barring correctly.

I suppose a third possibility could be that his kids have found a way to bypass the barring.

Every thing was done ntl end.............and it now workd OK.

He will cancel if he does not get a refund and ntl have said NO they will only refund the £1.00 per month. Has anyone got any weight in this forum to help on this point

Thanks for all the help.

Neil
23-04-2004, 16:29
Every thing was done ntl end.............and it now workd OK.

He will cancel if he does not get a refund and ntl have said NO they will only refund the £1.00 per month. Has anyone got any weight in this forum to help on this point

Thanks for all the help.

What part of the country is he in Mike?

Chris W
23-04-2004, 16:36
Thanks all

Lives in Oxfordshire

He spoke to ntl and was told it was at a 'level' that covered mobile phones. Since talking to ntl it works ie when he phones a mobile he get a continuous tone.

Neil
23-04-2004, 17:12
Thanks MB-That was helpful. :rolleyes: ;)

Here you go Mike.....

Director of Telephony, ntl:home
Ms Jenny Lynn-Jones
Telephone: 01256 752197
Mobile: 07956 500210
Fax: 01256 752544
E-mail: jenny.lynn-jones@ntl.com

Ms Lynn-Jones is the product director responsible for ntl's Telephony product. This includes the development, design, and improvement of ntl's Telephony products. All Telephony product questions, suggestions and complaints should be directed to Ms Lynn-Jones when normal channels have failed.

Mike
23-04-2004, 21:49
Thanks MB-That was helpful. :rolleyes: ;)

Here you go Mike.....

Director of Telephony, ntl:home
Ms Jenny Lynn-Jones
Telephone: 01256 752197
Mobile: 07956 500210
Fax: 01256 752544
E-mail: jenny.lynn-jones@ntl.com

Ms Lynn-Jones is the product director responsible for ntl's Telephony product. This includes the development, design, and improvement of ntl's Telephony products. All Telephony product questions, suggestions and complaints should be directed to Ms Lynn-Jones when normal channels have failed.

Neil

Thanks for the info

Florence
24-04-2004, 09:32

My son found a way past call baring by having the other person phone him then he did 1471. In the Manchester area this by passes it, also using the operator to call for you does.
He also used to mess with placing numbers guessing in some cases what numbers was used and if you havent called a number straight after placing the pin in then it shows up on redial.