PDA

View Full Version : Static IP?

Graham M
22-04-2004, 21:22
OK dont know what's going on here, but I recently got my NTL box changed from a Pace 4000 series to a Pace 2000 Series because it is apparently more stable on the net. All is great, i havent had a crash since I got the new box (Box was crashing at least twice a day before) And apparently also the line signal was too high!? But anyway

With my old Pace 4000, I had the same IP address since I got my router, my router is always plugged in and switched on. It only ever changed if I changed the device that was connected to the cable box, like from Router to Back of computer, but the IP would always switch back when I changed the device back, I assume this was based on the MAC address of the connected device.

So why was I getting a seemingly static IP, and why am I not now? :(

And another one, how much extra per month will NTL charge me for a static IP and is it possible on NTL:Home?

Thanx :)

Neil
22-04-2004, 21:24
No static I.P address available I'm afraid.

paulyoung666
22-04-2004, 21:25
i dont know how much , but if you want a static i.p. then you will need a buisness package , is there any reason you need a static i.p. ??????????????????

Graham M
22-04-2004, 21:25
Damn. Ah well any idea why i was getting a seemingly static IP before?

Edit:

Answer for Paulyoung

I run an IRC server as part of a smallish IRC network, and connectivity between servers is based on the IP, plus I have a domain name with some subdomains which I keep pointed to my IP.

Neil
22-04-2004, 21:27

Luck.

Edit:

Answer for Paulyoung

I run an IRC server as part of a smallish IRC network, and connectivity between servers is based on the IP, plus I have a domain name with some subdomains which I keep pointed to my IP.

Get yourself a DNS Redirect program, such as www.no-ip.com

HTH.

Bifta
22-04-2004, 21:28

Edit:

Answer for Paulyoung

You've never had a static IP with NTL, a sticky one perhaps, but not a real static one.

Graham M
22-04-2004, 21:29
damn ah well i'll have to figure something out, that was a damned sticky IP, I had it for well over a year :)

zovat
22-04-2004, 21:30

Edit:

Answer for Paulyoung

IIRC :angel:

If you have the CM and the router permanantly on , then the lease on your address would never expire, the only time that would change is when you rebooted it, or when NTL re-started the DHCP service.

<I'm sure someone will tell me if I am wrong..>

HTH

Graham M
22-04-2004, 21:32
It got rebooted a fair number of times :) Doubt the lease ran out during that period, and it hasn't been off in the passed 24 hours which is when the IP changed :confused:

Bifta
22-04-2004, 21:35
damn ah well i'll have to figure something out, that was a damned sticky IP, I had it for well over a year :)

I had one for over 6 months, cable modem was turned off at the wall for 7 days while I was on holiday, new IP address when I got back.

Paul
22-04-2004, 21:48
If you have the CM and the router permanantly on , then the lease on your address would never expire, the only time that would change is when you rebooted it, or when NTL re-started the DHCP service.

<I'm sure someone will tell me if I am wrong..>

HTH

You shouldn't lose it if you re-boot - you have to be disconnected for a set period of time before the address is available to be given out to others (4 hours ??). Even after that time, I think you will get the same IP address back if the dhcp server has not given it away to someone else.

I don't think a re-start of the dhcp server will have any effect.

Of course, I too could be wrong ..... :dozey:

Vegeta
22-04-2004, 21:53
I had my previous IP for well over 2 years and then it changed recently, around November.

BBKing
22-04-2004, 22:33
DHCP will give you the same IP unless:

You disconnect for a period longer than the remaining lease (up to 7 days) *and* the DHCP server reallocates your IP to another client
ntl move your area between DHCP servers (happening at the moment in some areas)
ntl move your area between CMTS cards (aka resegmentation)
ntl have to rebuild the DHCP server database (pretty rare really)
You change the MAC address of the connected device

I think you can release your IP and cross your fingers that the DHCP demand locally is high, but it's 99% guaranteed you'd get the same one back.