PDA

View Full Version : Setting up NTL Webspace (was "ntlworld homepage")

Ramrod
20-04-2004, 16:48
Sorry to be thick here but how do I go about setting up my ntlworld webspace? I looked at ntls info on the subject and at our knowledge base here but am still non the wiser :confused:
All I want to be able to do is upload stuff to it so that I can link from here to my webspace rather than having to link to someone elses site.
All help appreciated :)

Rough.D
20-04-2004, 16:59
Hi Rammy

I use a prog called Smartftp its a free download from Here (http://www.smartftp.com)

All you need is this info to get onto yoyr web space at ntl

1. in the address put "upload.ntlworld.com" without the quotes
2. in the login put your ntl user name.
3. in the password bit put in your ntl password
4. Port # = 21

That should do it

good luck

Ramrod
20-04-2004, 18:23
Cheers m8 :)

Tezcatlipoca
20-04-2004, 18:48
[Moved to Email & Webspace discussion :) ]

Just to add to what Rough.D said...

The location of your webspace will be http://homepage.ntlworld.com/username

The username & password for your NTL webspace are the username & password for the main account / main email address.

If you don't want to use your main email as your webspace name (e.g. if you use your actual name as your main email address, & don't want people to know that), you can, AFAIK, phone up tech support & ask them to instead link your webspace to one of your other NTLWorld email address usernames.

Also, I think that the webspace uses the original password you were assigned by NTL for the main account/email (1st letter of surname followed by some numbers) - even if you have since changed the email password yourself to something different.

Tech_Boy
22-04-2004, 11:01
or just open up a Ie window and type in ftp://username:password@upload.ntlworld.com substituting the username & password for your webspace username & password. then just drag & dropp into the window;)

MarkFlax
23-05-2004, 16:08
or just open up a Ie window and type in ftp://username:password@upload.ntlworld.com substituting the username & password for your webspace username & password. then just drag & dropp into the window;)
I've just been reading this as I would like to upload my own web files to a home page at NTL.

Is it really that simple? Open up IE, type in the address bar ftp://myname:mypassword@upload.ntlworld.com and press enter then drag and drop the files from Windows Explorer?

I'm not doubting Tech_Guy's post of course, :), I would much rather use a simpler solution like that than use an FTP client.

Maggy
23-05-2004, 16:11
I've just been reading this as I would like to upload my own web files to a home page at NTL.

Is it really that simple? Open up IE, type in the address bar ftp://myname:mypassword@upload.ntlworld.com and press enter then drag and drop the files from Windows Explorer?

I'm not doubting Tech_Guy's post of course, :), I would much rather use a simpler solution like that than use an FTP client.

Yep it's that easy!!I do it all the time(well not now as I just moved to I-Web) :tu:

Incog.Technically feeble.

Paul K
24-05-2004, 08:44

As Coggy has said it can be that easy, you may occassionally have issues if you move large files this way but normally it will behave itself and give you no problems at all :)
It's the way I've used for a while any way lol ;)
NTL upload information (http://www.cm-forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4279)
Sorry about the external link but if you want to move the information here then I'm ok with it as I still have the original version on my hard drive.

MarkFlax
27-05-2004, 12:41
Thats brilliant. Many thanks all.

And the NTL Upload Information was really useful as well. A comprehensive guide.

XFS03
05-06-2004, 10:42
At the moment my webpage only contains some text & graphics, which I put there last year following the ntl HTML tutorial.

I now want to put a .rar file on there for others to download.

I have used the IE drag & drop method to upload the file to my webspace but I cant see it on my home page.

Do I have to use an HTML command to make it visible?

Chris W
05-06-2004, 10:48
At the moment my webpage only contains some text & graphics, which I put there last year following the ntl HTML tutorial.

I now want to put a .rar file on there for others to download.

I have used the IE drag & drop method to upload the file to my webspace but I cant see it on my home page.

Do I have to use an HTML command to make it visible?

When you try to access the homepage what do you see? if it is a list of files, then you need to make a homepage called index.html in the root directory.

If you are seeing nothing at all then pm me the username for the webspace and i will have a look for you.

MB

XFS03
05-06-2004, 11:56
When you try to access the homepage what do you see? if it is a list of files, then you need to make a homepage called index.html in the root directory.

If you are seeing nothing at all then pm me the username for the webspace and i will have a look for you.

MBThe homepage is displaying correctly (i.e. I don't just see a list of files)

I have created an index.htm file as my home page. This is just a page with a background gif (gray_stucco.gif) and a link to a second page (myfile1.htm) with some text and a logo (nthw_logo2.gif).

So the files I see when looking at my upload.ntlworld page are index.htm, gray_stucco.gif, myfile1.htm, nthw_logo2.gif and also the .rar file which I dragged & dropped there.

The webpage still just displays as it did before I uploaded the .rar file.

I am not sure how the .rar file should have displayed itself on the page anyway without some kind of HTML command.

Chris W
05-06-2004, 12:10
The homepage is displaying correctly (i.e. I don't just see a list of files)

I have created an index.htm file as my home page. This is just a page with a background gif (gray_stucco.gif) and a link to a second page (myfile1.htm) with some text and a logo (nthw_logo2.gif).

So the files I see when looking at my upload.ntlworld page are index.htm, gray_stucco.gif, myfile1.htm, nthw_logo2.gif and also the .rar file which I dragged & dropped there.

The webpage still just displays as it did before I uploaded the .rar file.

I am not sure how the .rar file should have displayed itself on the page anyway without some kind of HTML command.

you will need to put a link somewhere on the homepage to the rar file so people can download it, or give them the location to go to directly, ie

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/username/filename.rar

if you want to put a link on the homepage to the file, but this into the source code for the index page:

<a href="filename.rar">text that will appear on the site, eg click here to download</A>

MB

XFS03
05-06-2004, 13:20
Thanks a lot monkeybreath.

I didn't realise that the "a href=" command worked for files. I thought it was only for linking to another page. I've still got a lot of HTML reading to do. :)

Works fine now.

cheers. :tu:

thedarklordjay
04-02-2006, 20:57
hey guys you know the URL you get from it, i.e http://homepage.ntlworld.ie/username, well on the phone they said i could change the username part, but i didnt understand how. anyone know how???

Ramrod
09-02-2006, 18:50
hey guys you know the URL you get from it, i.e http://homepage.ntlworld.ie/username, well on the phone they said i could change the username part, but i didnt understand how. anyone know how???:bump:

dilli-theclaw
09-02-2006, 18:54
hey guys you know the URL you get from it, i.e http://homepage.ntlworld.ie/username, well on the phone they said i could change the username part, but i didnt understand how. anyone know how???:bump:Isn't that the main account username? Doesn't this mean that only customer services could change it?

homealone
09-02-2006, 19:25
as far as I know, the way to do this is to purchase a domain name that comes with a control panel & use 'framed redirect' to point the domain at the NTL webspace.

Chris W
09-02-2006, 20:24
Isn't that the main account username? Doesn't this mean that only customer services could change it?

:tu: correct

thedarklordjay
10-02-2006, 18:51
yeah well i own, www.nerddesigns.net (http://www.nerddesigns.net), and that is redirected to my NTL space, but like the domain that show in the URL entry box is http://homepage.......... ya know, even if i could descise that, its just unprofessional lol

homealone
10-02-2006, 18:57
yeah well i own, www.nerddesigns.net (http://www.nerddesigns.net), and that is redirected to my NTL space, but like the domain that show in the URL entry box is http://homepage.......... ya know, even if i could descise that, its just unprofessional lol

but is it a 'framed' redirect, standard redirection does still show the 'homepage' addy, framed redirects should display your domain name.

<edit>

What's the difference between Standard and Frame Masked (Hidden) Redirection?
Standard Redirection sends your domain visitors to any website you specify. The true address of the destination website - not your domain name - will display in the viewer's browser.

Frame Masked (Hidden) Redirection sends your domain visitors to any website you specify, just like Standard Redirection, with one difference: the destination url will be displayed in a framed HTML page. So your domain continues to display in your visitor's browser when they reach the website and while visiting any page in that website.

thedarklordjay
11-02-2006, 11:32
so can i change nerddesigns.net, to a framed redirect

homealone
11-02-2006, 13:13
so can i change nerddesigns.net, to a framed redirect

it depends if it is available in the control panel, with 123-reg, for example, it is available for free, with Misk you have to pay.

Roy Caswell
29-11-2006, 16:17

MB

Thank you very much for the advice. I was baffled as to why I had a list of files. I have renamed my home page index.html and now it appears when I access my web URL. How come NTL do not tell us all about the drag & drop method and how to name your front page on their site pages? They advise buying some software that they do not support anyway.
Roy Caswell :confused:

DanTheMan
08-12-2006, 08:20
Am I right in thinking we are still limited to 50MB ??

lauzjp
08-12-2006, 11:12
Would love to make use of the free webspace, but following the guidance on page 1 I get the message - the ftp session was terminated :( ?

Paul K
08-12-2006, 11:17
What FTP software are you using? Sounds like a connection issue with the FTP server.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=12925

lauzjp
08-12-2006, 11:22
terrapin.

Paul K
08-12-2006, 11:27
Have you tried using the explorer route instead?
Using Explorer.

In some windows variants you can point your browser to

ftp://ACCOUNTNAME:PASSWORD@upload.ntlworld.com/
(change the parts in capitals to your account details)

So in my case I choose to move some files by opening explorer to the relevant directory I have the files in and then I point Internet Explorer to
ftp://irene.keeler:MYPASSWORDHERE@upload.ntlworld.com
this leaves me with two windows open that I can put side by side on the screen.
Internet Explorer will show your NTL webspace and any files stored there, you can then drag and drop files to your space.

In Windows XP under "my network places" to make it easier, you can create it as a network connection using the ftp details as above.
You can also create it as a favourite in your Internet Explorer favourites list so you can access it easily through IE.
To save it as a favourite use the
ftp://ACCOUNTNAME:PASSWORD@upload.ntlworld.com
with your details in as the address to be saved

lauzjp
08-12-2006, 11:33
windows cannot access this folder... session was terminated *sigh* oh well. nevermind.

simbr
11-12-2006, 15:24
Am I right in thinking we are still limited to 50MB ??

No, it's been a whole 55Mb for pretty much as long as I can remember :P
(iirc it started as 5Mb then they added an extra 50Mb to all accounts)

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

Would love to make use of the free webspace, but following the guidance on page 1 I get the message - the ftp session was terminated :( ?

Important question first: are you using your ntl connection when trying to connect? Is so, try the following:

click start, then run, enter "cmd" (or "command" if using 98/ME) then press OK.
Type "telnet upload.ntlworld.com 21" and press the enter key.
Do you get a wecome message or an error message?

buzzard
02-01-2007, 17:08
Hi Rammy

I use a prog called Smartftp its a free download from Here (http://www.smartftp.com)

All you need is this info to get onto yoyr web space at ntl

1. in the address put "upload.ntlworld.com" without the quotes
2. in the login put your ntl user name.
3. in the password bit put in your ntl password
4. Port # = 21

That should do it

good luck

I have a similar problem, except that I cannot connect through any FTP program, but I can connect to other non-ntlworld sites that I maintain without a problem, having read this tread I have connected via Windows Explorer, however would like to resolve the Smart FTP/Ntl webspace problem! also can telnet without problems!

Thanks for the explorer tip!!

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

as far as I know, the way to do this is to purchase a domain name that comes with a control panel & use 'framed redirect' to point the domain at the NTL webspace.

Not So, on your index.html/htm in the URL webspace that you own/might need them to do but best if you can. you will need the following code

<html>
<head>
<meta name="ROBOTS" CONTENT="ALL">
<meta name="description" content="">
<meta name="keywords" content="">
<title> page title here </title>
</head>
<frameset cols="100%,*" border="0">
<frame src="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/yourtargetwebsite" name="namethatyouwantdispalyed">
<noframes>
<head>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000" link="#000000" vlink="#000000" alink="#000000">
<font face="Arial"><a href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/yourtargetwebsite"> Welcome to My Website </a></font>
</body>
</noframes>
</frameset>
</html>

that works when I use it!

Roy Caswell
19-01-2007, 16:19

Have things changed? This worked perfectly well until recently. Replacement files could be dragged and dropped and a box asked if the file was to be replaced. Now when I do the same thing, the file itself opens up in the window and when closed, I find that the old file has not been replaced. The only thing I have doen as far as I know is to upgrade from IE6 to IE7.
Roy Caswell:(

mr_bo
19-01-2007, 16:23
Have things changed? This worked perfectly well until recently. Replacement files could be dragged and dropped and a box asked if the file was to be replaced. Now when I do the same thing, the file itself opens up in the window and when closed, I find that the old file has not been replaced. The only thing I have doen as far as I know is to upgrade from IE6 to IE7.

I have found exactly the same thing with drag + drop but when using Dreamweaver to upload it works perfectly.

morrk
19-01-2007, 18:51

IE7 does not support FTP. As suggested previously, SmartFTP is a very good free program I use personally.

mr_bo
19-01-2007, 20:17
This is occurs with an ftp connection in My Network Places regardless of ie7, not that I'm particularly bothered, just empathising for Roy Caswell

Roy Caswell
21-01-2007, 17:32
Thanks for the info & support. I have just removed IE7 using add & remove programs in Control Panel. I was very relieved to see IE6 had returned and is working. What is more drag and drop for uploading to NTL is working again. Think I'll stay with IE6. IE7 seems to have a more cluttered interface and smaller icons. Happy again:-)

simbr
22-01-2007, 19:20
One thing to bear in mind is that there was an MS patch a while ago which disabled the username:password@ format because it could be used for phishing/spoofing. In that case you would need to go to ftp://upload.ntlworld.com cancel the login error then click "file" and "login as".
Not actually tried using FTP in IE7, will have to take a look later.

phillipsy
08-04-2007, 15:16
I had some problems accessing NTLvia ftp thru browser route. Aswell as finally making sure i typed a colon : and not a forward slash / between username and password i had other problems. i tried this instead. i opened network places on desktop and entered the ftp blurb ftp://username:password@upload.ntlworld.com . it opens nice as pie and you get the usual windows file window, except Thumbnails doesnt work for jpg's. but you can nice and easily drag and drop and delete in there. If you need to move stuff between dir's/folders. drag them onto desktop and back elsewhere.:D This might be old news to a lot of you but its good for a newbie like me.

Roy Caswell
31-03-2009, 20:09
Thanks for the info & support. I have just removed IE7 using add & remove programs in Control Panel. I was very relieved to see IE6 had returned and is working. What is more drag and drop for uploading to NTL is working again. Think I'll stay with IE6. IE7 seems to have a more cluttered interface and smaller icons. Happy again:-)

I have just found out that there is a way round this problem since lots of programs are now demanding you have ie7. Although you have downloaded ie7, ie6 is still on your computer. First use the windows explorer to access the Windows directory. Then find a yellow folder ie7 and open it. Inside it you will find ieplore.exe with the ie6 logo. You can double click on it to open it or better still right click and place it on your start menu. So, you now have ie7 for normal work and you have ie6 for doing your dragging and dropping. Just tried it and it works. Excellent!

Novusordo
11-04-2009, 01:06
hey guys I have finally been able to upload my website to my Virgin media webspace but now I am confused as to what to do next?

I guess registering a domain name for my site is the next step, but how would I connect the webspace to the domain name?

i'm in need of some knowledge :(

homealone
11-04-2009, 01:28
hey guys I have finally been able to upload my website to my Virgin media webspace but now I am confused as to what to do next?

I guess registering a domain name for my site is the next step, but how would I connect the webspace to the domain name?

i'm in need of some knowledge :(

If you wanted to escalate it any further than the virgin webspace, then you may want to look at the various hosting deals that are available once you register your own domain,

- linking your site to your host is done using the dns records for the domain name :)

Novusordo
11-04-2009, 01:57
so I cant link a domain name to my website hosted on virgin media webspace???