PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 startup logo!!!

ZrByte
17-07-2003, 04:18
Okay got a question for all you Egg heads out there :D (Actually im probably one of these egg heads but never mind ;) )
Question is, is it possible to change the startup logo for windows 2000?? Im talking about the one that comes up while the machine is booting Just after the black screen with a progress bar along the bottom. Its the one with a much smaller blue progress bar at the bottom.
The blue progress bar is fine as it is and I am pretty sure this bit is hard coded but I have heard nothing about the bit above it being hard coded (The white bit saying "Windows 2000 Professional" etc)

I know to change the boot logo in Win 98 All you had to do was open a file named Logo.sys in paint and you could edit it to get your desired effect, however I cant find this file for win 2k and im not even sure if it would be done in the same method.

I know someone will have the answer even if it is Just a simple "NO, This aint possible" I just really wanna know one way or the other.

Thx in advance.

Nemesis
17-07-2003, 09:11
It should be possible, but it'll be a different process for 2000. I've changed my XP boot up, and assume it's the same process with 2000.

The file that needs to change is ntoskrnl.exe. This is the NT Kernel file that does the bootong of the OS. There will be somewhere on the net that can show/tell you how to change the bitmap within this file.

Hope this helps

basa
17-07-2003, 09:14
It's a bit tricky m8....Look here (http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00027.asp). Personally I don't think it would be worth all the effort !! :eek:

bopdude
17-07-2003, 09:52
Hi ZrByte,

You can use this tweak tool X-Teq found here (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,6906,00.asp) does a lot more than just the start up logo's

To change the W2K startup logo with X-Teq:

1) Open X-Teq.

2) Navigate to: Startup/Shutdown > Startup > Windows NT/2K/XP > 30) Before Login Window > Background Wallpaper.

3) On the top right, browse to the wallpaper you wish to use then click "Apply Changes (F9)"

4) You will get a "The new logo has been set" popup, then note at the bottom right of the taskbar that it says LOGOFF. This means exit X-Teq and log off then back on for the change to take affect

Good luck and let us know if it's ok :)

Martin
17-07-2003, 09:55
Not worth it ZrByte, so easy to make a mistake. I'm talking from experience there. I tried to change it and it buggered up the boot up process.:(

Tricky
18-07-2003, 22:24
AFAIK BootXPv2.50 (www.bootxp.net) will also do this little trickery for you (I HAVE NOT TESTED IT ON W2K) works fine on XP though!

KingPhoenix
18-07-2003, 23:05
Not to be funny or anything, but for the amount of time its displayed on the screen, whats the real need to change it??? :confused:

jay.dee
21-07-2003, 04:45
Originally posted by basa
It's a bit tricky m8....Look here (http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00027.asp). Personally I don't think it would be worth all the effort !! :eek:
On the contrary, I think it's relatively easy! I remember reading the very same website a coupla years back about changing the logo too, I had some concerns at the time (with the original method) that I would mess the boot process by directly hacking ntoskrnl.exe, but this new way involving making a copy of ntoskrnl.exe, hacking the copy and then choosing the boot file, is foolproof! After all if your comp doesn't boot with the copy, then reboot using the normal ntoskrnl.exe file!

ZrByte, I think you should go for it, after all nothing tried, nothing done! Just make sure you follow the instructions verbatim!

Show us your screen as well when you've done it! :D
I may well do it too when i've got a spare evening!
J

bopdude
21-07-2003, 08:57
Well you've had a lot of suggestions ZrByte !

Have you done anything yet and if so what method \ tip did you use ??? :)