PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a claim to fame ?

Mick
16-07-2003, 18:17
Do any members here have a claim to fame ?

For example I mean have any of you met anyone famous, appeared on TV or radio or in Newspapers and magazines....or had your picture took with someone famous..... ?

If so post below.... :)

downquark1
16-07-2003, 18:24
I thought of the millemium bug years before the press made a fuss about it.

I made the mistake of assuming the experts had already known about it.

matty4donna
16-07-2003, 18:27
I am good friends with Sascha Lapperssen, better known for his leading role in the dance super group Sash! I speak to him reguarly and have got all my albums and singles signed by him :)

Chris
16-07-2003, 18:41
I was a reporter for a regional newspaper for a while, so I guess I was reasonably well known among our readership in north Wales ... not truly 'famous' though, I don't suppose.

cjll3
16-07-2003, 18:42
Urm the ex was sat on a plane from Spain in front of Anthea Turner, Fern Britton once walked in to a pub where I was slowly getting ****ed, I met a bloke who went to school with Robbie Williams, I went to school with Watford FC captain Neil Cox.

That enough excitement for one life or what?

bopdude
16-07-2003, 18:42
I've shaken hands with the queen, been on local radio ( competiton ) met Paul Merson ( worked at his house ) and had my pic in the paper, all over my extensive * ahem 38 years :)

Jarandco
16-07-2003, 18:44
I saw Victoria Beckham in New York, Mathew Perry ( Chandler in friends) sat right in front of me at wimbledon!

I won a competition on TV so my name got read out and i spoke over the phone! I have also been mentioned in the Official Xbox magazine!

I was also on the front page of the surrey comet once!

Ive had a few pics in the paper aswell!

Ill stop :blah: now!:D

KingPhoenix
16-07-2003, 18:47
My girlfriend works at a health retreat in Grayshott as a beauty therapist... (anyone know it??? :D) and she has met 100's of celebs that attend there. She has become particulary good friends with Judie Dench (i think thats how its spelt) and they goto Farnham at least once a month together, shopping and for lunch. She also is good friends with Damon Hills wife, and he regularly drops her off after they have been out on a night out...... But never really get to seem him :(

Xaccers
16-07-2003, 18:51
Well as part of The Usual Suspects, I got a mention in Maxim :)

Went to the same school as Spike Milligan's neice
Also smooched an asian princess who went to the same school :)

timewarrior2001
16-07-2003, 18:57
I grew up with Tommy Mooney (scarborough, watford, birmingham).
My grandad played for Tottenham, either just before the war or just after, not sure atm.
Grans Uncle was a boxer called jacki carr, he apparently won the lonsdale belt in th elate 1940's.
Dad grew up with Willie maddren, ex boro star and manager, sadly he died of MND a few years ago, My unlce was mentioned in his book "extra time" worth buying as all profits go to MND charity.
I've met Jack Charlton, Bryan robson, christian karambeu and his missus, peter reid.
The wildhearts, Skin from Skunk anansie, the levellers, a few members of black grape. And I'm kind of related to Janick gers of Iron Maiden fame, oh well even if its only through marraige lol.

Ramrod
16-07-2003, 19:27
I have had a few mildly famous people in my clinic as patients.

Graham
16-07-2003, 20:16
Well my mother was nearly run down in the street by Tony Robinson (of Time Team or Baldrick from Blackadder fame)

I, of course, have merely met Terry Pratchett and had a good chat with him. Oh and I've been on TV at least four times...!

Mal
16-07-2003, 20:22
Have seen Denis Law in St Peter's Square, Manchester. :eeek:

Also seen Christoper Eccleston in a pub. :eek:

downquark1
16-07-2003, 20:24
I saw Johnny Vaughn in Hamleys London. It worries me that he has contact with children.

Russ
16-07-2003, 20:32
Apparently I was on GM-TV recently, as well as appearing on a Channel 4 documentary......

Oh and my dad was in school with Anthony Hopkins.

downquark1
16-07-2003, 20:48
appearing on a Channel 4 documentary......
*Resisting the urge to ask if it was a wildlife documentary*

Stuart
16-07-2003, 21:32
Originally posted by Russ D
Apparently I was on GM-TV recently, as well as appearing on a Channel 4 documentary......

Ohh, this again :rolleyes: :D :p

I seem to remember you mentioning that on .com...

My claim to fame is walking into Daniella Westbrook (years ago, before the nose job).. Not my fault, I was walking along behind her in Tower Records, she stopped, I didn't notice, so didn't stop and walked into her.. I heard a few words I didn't know, I can tell you..

I recently bumped into Clare Danes as well (she was filming at the building I work in).

I have a couple of friends who have a bit of a claim to fame.

One used to be a flatmate to Stephen Graham (played "Tommy" in "Snatch") and said he was a revolting pig, but wouldn't go into details.

Another went to school with Jordan (Katie Price) and his opinions of her are unrepeatable in a family forum. Let's just say they didn't get along..

Captain_caveman
16-07-2003, 21:46
I have met, Norman Whiteside, Dennis Law, Tommy Docherty, Paddy Crerrand, In My House (well the same building (I live over a Social Club and work there on sportsmans evenings)
Also: Tommy Smith (ex liverpool player)
Do they count?
Plus some other minor sporting celebrities and lame connections to celebrities.
When the student march against tuition fees happend last year. The Graham Norton show showed a group of students running accross warterloo Bridge with just sticks, that was a group Including me from Huddersfield Uni (We were half an hour late and, the only ones on the bridge, He proceded to rip the **** out of us)

Tricky
16-07-2003, 22:04
I had a beer with Debbie (sorry Deborah) Harry in the hilton in belfast - Down to earth lass (she didn't buy though!) she was in some musical promotion at the NTL bowl/exhbition centre thingy near the hotel...

Bifta
16-07-2003, 22:07
Originally posted by KingPhoenix
My girlfriend works at a health retreat in Grayshott as a beauty therapist... (anyone know it??? :D) and she has met 100's of celebs that attend there. She has become particulary good friends with Judie Dench (i think thats how its spelt) and they goto Farnham at least once a month together, shopping and for lunch. She also is good friends with Damon Hills wife, and he regularly drops her off after they have been out on a night out...... But never really get to seem him :(

I know of a health 'retreat' in grayshot, on the way down to Headley Down, is that the one?

timewarrior2001
16-07-2003, 22:46
Oh i forgot, i was on tv, BBC 2 as well dont you know.
A few years back they did a series on the music biz, the last one was metallica at milton keynes bowl in 93, I was shown 3 times.
Rock n fookin roll!!!!!! lmao

KingPhoenix
16-07-2003, 22:53
Originally posted by Bifta
I know of a health 'retreat' in grayshot, on the way down to Headley Down, is that the one?

Thats the one ;)

Marge
17-07-2003, 00:10
Well, I was a patient of and know personally Dr Shipman, was interviewed by the police in regard to the investigation :erm: and what a nice chap he is/was

matty4donna
17-07-2003, 00:12
Originally posted by Debsy42
Well, I was a patient of and know personally Dr Shipman, was interviewed by the police in regard to the investigation :erm: and what a nice chap he is/was thats interesting! Before you knew anything, did he seem like a normal, caring GP?

danielf
17-07-2003, 00:33
Well, I was a patient of and know personally Dr Shipman, was interviewed by the police in regard to the investigation :erm: and what a nice chap he is/was

That must have been a horrible experience :eek:. I suppose that didn't help your trust in the medical profession?

Stuart
17-07-2003, 00:55
:erm: :disturbd: :eeek:

As long as your new doctor is better...

danielf
17-07-2003, 01:04
It's official now, Debsy wins...

'Congratulations' Debsy...

Mick
17-07-2003, 02:15
I would hardly call having Dr Shipman as your claim to fame, Dr Shipman is infamous and shouldn't count.... :disturbd:

Marge
17-07-2003, 02:26
:cry: :cry: :cry: I never win anything.....

Does it count that I used to work in a roundabout way for him and he approved my pay rise so surely he can't be all that bad

Suppose not :shrug:

Lord Nikon
17-07-2003, 06:50
depends... did the job include life insurance?

Mantrid
17-07-2003, 10:21
I won a Blue Peter badge, been in the paper a few times, fought in the kick boxing world championships and tried (and failed) to chat up Kylie when I met her at the Notting Hill carnival a few years ago.

Ramrod
17-07-2003, 10:38
Originally posted by Mantrid
tried (and failed) to chat up Kylie when I met her at the Notting Hill carnival a few years ago. That, imo, is the best claim to fame yet:D

Stuart
17-07-2003, 10:42
I won a Blue Peter badge, been in the paper a few times, fought in the kick boxing world championships and tried (and failed) to chat up Kylie when I met her at the Notting Hill carnival a few years ago.

You know that Yesman will be jealous...

nogger
17-07-2003, 10:56
Yes, I knew Liz Kershaw (http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/presenters/liz_kershaw/) before she was famous. And her brother, Andy (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/world/andykershaw.shtml), once told me off for sitting on the bonnet of her car.

Whaddya mean, you've never heard of her!! :cry:

altis
17-07-2003, 10:57
I had a Blue Peter badge once... now, what happened to that?

I've been on TV in a supporting role in an episode of Strictly Dancing. I've seen Bobby Charlton and James Anderton in Dunham Park and Lou Reed in Cornwall. I've sat round a camp fire listening to Lisa Carthy sing, shared a urinal with John Kirkpatrick - in fact, I've met quite a few famous 'folkies' - but that's what it's all about.

Jarandco
17-07-2003, 15:31

I got a blue peter badge aswell - and i still have it!:D

Russ
17-07-2003, 15:48
Originally posted by altis
I had a Blue Peter badge once... now, what happened to that?

I've been on TV in a supporting role in an episode of Strictly Dancing. I've seen Bobby Charlton and James Anderton in Dunham Park and Lou Reed in Cornwall. I've sat round a camp fire listening to Lisa Carthy sing, shared a urinal with John Kirkpatrick - in fact, I've met quite a few famous 'folkies' - but that's what it's all about.

I once shared (not in the George Michael sense) a urinal with Mick Simply Red Hucknall in a hotel in Manchester. Let's just say I had something of a flatulence problem that day and I was about to let one rip and he walked in. I thought "That's Mick Hucknall, I can't guff in front of him!!". Well he must have a huge bladder because was going...and going....and going, and I just couldn't hold it in any more and then trrrrrrrrrrrrrrump!.

I looked at him and said "Sorry mate" to which he replied, "Don't worry about it, if you can't fart in the gents where can you fart?".

Jarandco
17-07-2003, 15:53
I once shared (not in the George Michael sense) a urinal with Mick Simply Red Hucknall in a hotel in Manchester. Let's just say I had something of a flatulence problem that day and I was about to let one rip and he walked in. I thought "That's Mick Hucknall, I can't guff in front of him!!". Well he must have a huge bladder because was going...and going....and going, and I just couldn't hold it in any more and then trrrrrrrrrrrrrrump!.

I looked at him and said "Sorry mate" to which he replied, "Don't worry about it, if you can't fart in the gents where can you fart?".

:shocked:

I suppose he is normal then -not stuck up or anything!:LOL:

allanprg
17-07-2003, 20:33
I met Phil Collins once. Had a little chat. Also played drums for Joe Jackson back in the 70's :wavey:

homealone
17-07-2003, 20:45
Originally posted by allanprg
I met Phil Collins once. Had a little chat. Also played drums for Joe Jackson back in the 70's :wavey:

Cool, I was a fan of Joe Jackson, didn't he bring out a new album a little while back?

- and to continue the "I shared an urinal theme" - mine was Elvis Costello backstage at the Chalk Farm Roundhouse. - not as funny as Russ's:)

Ramrod
17-07-2003, 20:49

I looked at him and said "Sorry mate" to which he replied, "Don't worry about it, if you can't fart in the gents where can you fart?". :rofl: :D

carlingman
18-07-2003, 01:17
Well as the thread suggests my claim to fame,

Anyone remember Junior Kickstart a trials motorbike programme for youngsters hosted by Peter Purvis.

A lot of youngsters whizzed around on Bultaco motorbikes.

Well I once was on the televised stage of that after winning several regional heats and made it through from the regional to the national finals.

After completing 95% of the course with one obstacle left a balancing beam over a big ditch I had the signal from family/friends and time keepers to give me the nod I was well within the time limit and no faults which guaranteed me to qualify.

Well you guessed, only the final balance beam over the big ditch and I thought Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ll give a bit of victory wave etc. and doing that lost my balance and I couldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t correct it and myself and the bike fell off the beam into the big ditch and I landed first promptly followed by the bike which crashed down smack bang on my shin and busted my leg and I never qualified.

You laugh now and so can I.

But I tell you it was not funny at the time, I was well gutted.

Although I was not the first to falter on this last obstacle as someone else did the same and the bike missed his shin and landed in his nether regions.

Lets just say ooouch.

Thankfully for me the only things injured were my leg and my pride.

:D

kronas
18-07-2003, 01:35
Originally posted by Ramrod
That, imo, is the best claim to fame yet:D

you biased though because you like kylie :p

rotflmao

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Martin
18-07-2003, 02:17
"Don't worry about it, if you can't fart in the gents where can you fart?".

LOL Quality:p :LOL:

Enterian
18-07-2003, 09:36
I was on Romper Room with Miss Rosalin.

(Waits whilst everyone under 40 looks blank!):shrug:

Stuart
18-07-2003, 11:31
Originally posted by Enterian
I was on Romper Room with Miss Rosalin.

(Waits whilst everyone under 40 looks blank!):shrug:

What? you and Gaby?

Enterian
18-07-2003, 12:08
Originally posted by scastle
What? you and Gaby?

Noooooooo way before her time!

Romper Room (http://www.angliatv.co.uk/angliagold/romperroom/roperroom.htm)

Stuart
18-07-2003, 12:17
Originally posted by Enterian
Noooooooo way before her time!

Romper Room (http://www.angliatv.co.uk/angliagold/romperroom/roperroom.htm)

OK. Just thought you and Gaby might have romped together...

Enterian
18-07-2003, 13:26
Originally posted by scastle
OK. Just thought you and Gaby might have romped together...

I wish:blush: :romance:

How about the fact that I once shook hands with Peter Powell then? Or the fact that Janice Long once called me a "right little raver".........

.............I'll get me coat!

Russ
18-07-2003, 23:31
It seems like I have a new claim to fame - was bored earlier so I flipped through the music channels and stopped on MTV where some programme called 'Dirty Sanchez' was on which is like a UK version of Jackass. One of the guys on it is called Pancho, I used to work with that little fella. HUGE head on him, but a decent bloke.

danielf
19-07-2003, 00:05
I used to live two streets away from Ruud Gullit. I ran into him once or twice at the cornershop.

Shorty
19-07-2003, 12:12
My old band used to play gigs around Devon with a group of friends from Teignmouth.

They got signed, we didn't :(

Their bass player used to work in my local guitar shop on the weekends. I still have a bass in my house that belonged to Chris, that he sold me through the shop after another long afternoons jamming ;)

The band toured with the RHCP and are doin well :) only email contact these days. Just freaks me out when I see them on MTV.

They are called MUSE.

matty4donna
19-07-2003, 12:13
Originally posted by Shorty
My old band used to play gigs around Devon with a group of friends from Teignmouth.

They got signed, we didn't :(

Their bass player used to work in my local guitar shop on the weekends. I still have a bass in my house that belonged to Chris, that he sold me through the shop after another long afternoons jamming ;)

The band toured with the RHCP and are doin well :) only email contact these days. Just freaks me out when I see them on MTV.

They are called MUSE. Muse are class :)

Shorty
19-07-2003, 12:21
Im going through all my old paperwork and junk, trying to find one of the flyers from the gigs :)

They are great. They deserved their deal, even then, they were immense live. Even in little pubs, they really were outstanding.

matty4donna
19-07-2003, 12:23
Originally posted by Shorty
They are great. They deserved their deal, even then, they were immense live. Even in little pubs, they really were outstanding. I can imagine they were! His voice is pure! ;)

Graham
19-07-2003, 14:49
Originally posted by carlingman
Anyone remember Junior Kickstart

Yes, I do.

Well you guessed, only the final balance beam over the big ditch and I thought Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ll give a bit of victory wave etc. and doing that lost my balance and I couldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t correct it and myself and the bike fell off the beam into the big ditch and I landed first promptly followed by the bike which crashed down smack bang on my shin and busted my leg and I never qualified.

In fact I think I actually recall seeing that edition. Wasn't that the one where the St John's Ambulance man dashes in to help and ends up falling down the slope into the ditch and almost landing on you?

Stuart
19-07-2003, 15:12
It seems like I have a new claim to fame - was bored earlier so I flipped through the music channels and stopped on MTV where some programme called 'Dirty Sanchez' was on which is like a UK version of Jackass. One of the guys on it is called Pancho, I used to work with that little fella. HUGE head on him, but a decent bloke.

Russ, you have so many claims to fame..

Download Failed (1)

Actually, I have another. Although I am not directly related, and have never met her, I am a distant cousin of Labour ex-MEP Barbera Castle..

Mark W
19-07-2003, 16:32
ummm....got a few, but none very special....

fredrick forsythe has a summer house near my folks and is sometimes round for dinner....

was at the same school as jamie theakston when he got expelled....

also went to the same school as the son of the ousted president of nigeria - wouldnt have been so bad, but he was in my economics class - and as fate would have it we did a case study on nigeria...and how said ousted pm nicked x hundred million before erm...emigrating :D

oh, and ive shared many a herbal remedy with a band member from souzy and the banshees (dont know how well known they are? :shrug: ) ;)

*edit*
does copping off with the daughter of a british ambassador at an official function count as a claim to fame? :)

Stuart
19-07-2003, 19:06
Originally posted by Mark W

oh, and ive shared many a herbal remedy with a band member from souzy and the banshees (dont know how well known they are? :shrug: ) ;)

*edit*
does copping off with the daughter of a british ambassador at an official function count as a claim to fame? :)

Good band..

BTW, I think copping off with the daughter of any Ambassador counts...

carlingman
20-07-2003, 01:39
Originally posted by Graham
Yes, I do.

In fact I think I actually recall seeing that edition. Wasn't that the one where the St John's Ambulance man dashes in to help and ends up falling down the slope into the ditch and almost landing on you?

Well afraid not, as i remember the St Johns Ambulance man did not fall over on his way to me, as the first person that arrived was an Ambulance Man not a St Johns but i do remember the episode you are referring to vaguely.

:)

KingPhoenix
20-07-2003, 01:55
For all those interested, JudY or Judie (not sure on spelling) Dench will be in Farnham tomorrow at Cafe Uno, Having lunch with the missus sometime between 11am and 4 pm (there the times ive been given by the boss... leaving at 11, home by 4:S?)

gazzae
20-07-2003, 03:17
Once met Paddy Keilty and Steve Coogan in a club in Belfast. Steve was on PK's show and was very "impressed" by my mates girlfriend who was one of the balaclava babes that he used to have. He was so impressed that he wouldn't leave her alone and I had to restrain my mate from thumping him!

altis
20-07-2003, 10:00
Was once walking up to my auntie's in Clapham. Coming down the street in the opposite direction was a couple that I thought I recognised. I kept staring at them, trying to work out if I knew them. They kept staring back so I guessed that they knew me too. As we passed I nearly said hello, but didn't, still unsure of who they were.

Later on the penny dropped - it was Bob Geldof and Paula Yates - embarrasing or what!

The Diplomat
20-07-2003, 10:08
I have been a contestant on 2 game shows.:smokin:

I had the group Jigsaw ( from the seventies) stay round my house during a tour.

When I was social sec. at my local club I organised Frank Carson to do a cabaret there- I took him a drink in his changing room and he was stood there in his boxers, not a pretty site.:eek:

Marge
20-07-2003, 13:49
One of my friends at work is aunt to a 1st team Man United player Download Failed (1)

Stuart
20-07-2003, 14:20
One of my friends at work is aunt to a 1st team Man United player http://www.jeffpylenz.com/JP's%20Incredimail/WIC/WEATHER%20NO.1_files/image011.gif

Not David Beckham??

Marge
20-07-2003, 14:31
No unfortunately :cry: :cry: :cry:

Stuart
20-07-2003, 14:32
Who then?

Marge
20-07-2003, 21:42
Just come back from a BBQ at my friends house actually and her nephew was there, Wes Brown and what a nice down to earth chap he is.........

Graham
21-07-2003, 01:07

Better than a friend of mine who managed to throw up on a Peer of the Realm!

Sipowicz
21-07-2003, 01:21
Played Pool and had a drink with Paul Young (Q-Tips, etc) also had a beer with Tony Hadley (Spandau Whatsits). Sang on stage at the Marquee club (Wardour Street) !!

Do they count?

:shrug:

gazzae
21-07-2003, 02:29
Wes Brown and what a nice down to earth chap he is.........

Good player too, pity hes out until 2004 :(

bob_a_builder
21-07-2003, 09:25
My brothers mates little sister went to school with the bigger brother of the girl who was sh**ing the gay one (in Ronan Keatings boy band ) before he found out he was gay.
Tenuous enough for you
Only Joking

Delta Whiskey
23-07-2003, 15:35
I nearly saved the world from Bonnie Tyler. Silly cow walked out in front of my car, missed her by inches, if only I'd known. :-)

Stuart W
23-07-2003, 15:44
My friend ran away from Keith Chegwin in the late 70's....
in the local town centre Cheggers was doing a swap shop promotion.... my friend walked out of a shop and had a microphon thrust under his nose and was asked "What do you think of Swap Shop?" to which he replied "Eurgh! Cheggers!" and ran away!!!

On a more personal note, I have been on TV :D
I was walking out of Bank underground station when I saw what looked remarkably like "PC Garfield" run past.... as I got to the top of the stairs, I looked right with a "I wonder if that was Garfield" look on my face straight into a great big TV camera!!!

Saw myself about 3 months later!