PDA

View Full Version : remotes interfeing

innes
16-07-2003, 11:36
Hi does any one have a clue as to how to stop the a video remote control from interfering with my stb unit. This has only happened since ntl changed my access card after it started smoking a little. An incompetent engineer was sent round to give us a new ntl remote, which did not work. ha ha. How much are these guys paid anyway?

I.

Novae Sardines
16-07-2003, 12:16
Originally posted by innes
This has only happened since ntl changed my access card after it started smoking a little.

The NTL engineer should have given you an access card with a nicorette patch on it!

This could help with the smoking problem.

:p

Tristan
16-07-2003, 12:32
The NTL engineer wouldn't have just changed the access card, as this is paired with the box. He'd have had to have given you a whole new STB.

My guess it that he replaced a 1000 or 2000 STB (which can receive NTL's strange IrDA-type signals only) with a 4000, which can receive these and standard remote frequencies. It just happens that the frequencies the new box accepts are the same as those your video uses.

Again, I stress this is a guess -- but giving us you location would be a help. As would telling us if the new box has a different button configuration on the front.

There is a solution though, albeit not a pretty one. In order to receive both types of signal, the 4000 box has two remote sensors. I beleive they're either side of the front display, although I don't know which is which. Try covering one with electrical tape, and if it doesn't fix it, try the other...

innes
16-07-2003, 16:12
Hi. Thanks for the advice.Ill get back to you as soon as poss.

I.

I am in Oxfordshire/Didcot.

The card just wanted a toke. I didnt know it would get this serious man.

Tristan
16-07-2003, 16:32
Ah. Oxfordshire is, as far as I know, an original NTL area, and so my 4000 box theory is wrong.

Sorry...

innes
17-07-2003, 10:46
Cheers for the howto on the stb. I will be ripping open the box to fully disable the 2nd reciever as the problem still occurs if the beam is directed at the wrong angle.
The info on the bottom of the stb is PACE 4010.

Regards.

I.

Tristan
17-07-2003, 19:26
DON'T RIP OPEN THE BOX!

Sorry to shout, but since the box doesn't belong to you (you just rent it from NTL), you'll be in a lot of bother with them if you tamper with it. It's in the contract that you won't. You'll probably have to pay them full whack for the box, about £300 I think (someone in CS will no doubt correct me).