PDA

View Full Version : Will installation engineers use my floor cavity?

brettjbuckley
14-04-2004, 10:26
I am (hopefully) having NTL installed in my new house on Friday.

The TV is (and will remain) in the opposite corner of the lounge from the Window.

Ideally, I want the NTL connection on the wall next to the TV. My house has a large floor cavity which would allow routing of the cable across the room.

Will the engineers use this cavity or will I need to do this part myself? A friend tells me that thay refused to go under his floor.

Brett.

Andy E
14-04-2004, 10:37
Donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t see a problem there at all, providing that you lift the floorboards yourself to allow access to the cavity, the engineers will not lift the floorboards for you. Speaking from experience what some customers have done for me in the past is to run a draw cord under the floor themselves. When I arrived on site it was a simple matter of attaching the draw cord to the coax and pulling it through.....

hope this helps
Andy E
ntl pirate

altis
14-04-2004, 10:39
They should put it exactly where you want. A suggestion that might help - make it easy for them - for example, lift the trap door, drill the holes ready for them to use. This is a bit OTT but you could even install some 15mm plastic plumbing pipe for them to pull the cable thru so they don't have to go under the floor.

The cable comes down the pavement in front of our house. I wanted the STB in the kitchen at the back. We already had a 110mm plastic pipe running under the house so I dug up the access and installed a pull-rope. They were more than happy to use what I had provided.

Matuka
14-04-2004, 11:36
As the others say, if you do most of the preparation work yourself, they are most likely to agree to your requests.

Although they "should" do what the customer wants (within reason) for the install, there are many tales of really bad installs where cables have been laid over carpets, 6" high between walls through under-stairs spaces, etc, etc... (list is endless).
So if you want something specific, make sure that it is agreed to before they come & if necessary, do the floor lifting, draw cord etc.

I'm not sure that they will get underneath & pin the cable to the joists if you want that, but your quite welcome to tidy up underneath yourself :D

paulyoung666
14-04-2004, 17:36
i would agree with all of the above , and btw , dont forget the choccie biccies ;) :D :D :D

Feenix
14-04-2004, 22:39
So if you want something specific, make sure that it is agreed to before they come & if necessary, do the floor lifting, draw cord etc.

It's all very good to agree an installation route with someone in a call centre or even a salesman in your house, but it can't allways be done that way - ask for a site survey instead. That way a trained install tech can examine your property and tell you what is possible and what is not.

eddie00001
15-04-2004, 16:38
The installers will route it wherever you want (within reason). If it's to go under floorboards/carpet, over roofs etc, you will need to make some kind of preparations, eg lift carpet etc as mentioned above.