PDA

View Full Version : Unable to send jpg's

Louise
11-04-2004, 19:13
I've been trying to send a jpg via email. The error message states "This Mail has been blocked as our mail servers determine it could potentially contain the mutant Bagle 0 virus', "

I know I don't have the Bagle virus and I have heard from someone else using ntl who is having the same problem.

Is there a workaround?

Thanks for any help

Defiant
11-04-2004, 19:16
I've been trying to send a jpg via email. The error message states "This Mail has been blocked as our mail servers determine it could potentially contain the mutant Bagle 0 virus', "

I know I don't have the Bagle virus and I have heard from someone else using ntl who is having the same problem.

Is there a workaround?

Thanks for any help
Where are you trying to send this to @example.com and do you only have this problem with this one addy ?

Louise
11-04-2004, 19:29
Originally I was trying to send it to someone with a Hotmail account eg blah@hotmail.com.

Since that didn't work, I've tried sending it to myself....my ntl address, my yahoo address, my freeserve address, my hotmail address.

It just won't leave my outbox :mad:

I've been trying to send it for days now. I've even changed the image to another one - that didn't work either. I've scanned with norton (definitions up to date) and I've scanned with Trend online antivirus. All is clear.

paulyoung666
11-04-2004, 19:34
hi and :welcome: to the site , have you tried zipping it up and sending it ????????????

Defiant
11-04-2004, 19:36
Well if you got this messege with the hotmail.com addy too I'd suggest trying to scan your machine with Mcafee as thats the one hotmail use.

http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?cid=9914

the jackel
11-04-2004, 19:57
Does the email use Microsoft Outlook stationary? if so remove it and try

Louise
12-04-2004, 00:31
Okay. Thanks for the replies everyone.

I scanned with mcafee - nothing
I scanned with norton and trend - nothing
I scanned with AVG - something?? Not the bagle - some 'doppler?'. Weird. Anway cleaned. Scanned again. Clean.

Try to send picture again and it still wouldn't go. Sent some other pictures and they were fine. Left my outbox straight away. So I wondered if there was something corrupt about the picture I was trying to send, so I deleted and copied another identical one off the web. It still wouldn't send. Grrrr.

I put it into photoshop, reduced the image size to reduce the size from about 28kb to 22 kb. Still wouldn't send.

I cropped it in half and saved it on a very low resolution and hey presto it goes!! Yippee. I can send a picture of a body and legs, but no head.

I've tried it loads of times now - cropping, reducing size. It's only the cropped ones that leaves of this particular image. So I made another image about 28kb and that wouldn't go either.

All I can imagine is that it's rejecting it on size - a size similar to the bagle virus attatchments?? 20kb - 28kb?

Does that make sense?

kronas
12-04-2004, 00:57
you could try renaming the file and sending it...........

Louise
12-04-2004, 13:19
I tried renaming the file, but it didn't help. This morning I tried again, but I got the error message, so I made it larger, changing it from 28kb to 40 kb and it went immediately.

Strange. Anyway, thanks for the replies and maybe my solution might help someone else with the same problem.

Defiant
12-04-2004, 13:21
When I seen this kinda thing before it was from NTL e-mail service so it didn't even get out in fact. Have you tried sending from Lycos.co.uk, Yahoo ?

clammit
12-04-2004, 13:24
I had exactly the same problem and error message with an animated jpeg.

The stationary (OE) didn't make any difference. I had to lose the animated image and then it sent fine.

richardw
18-04-2004, 07:54
I've been seeing the same problem trying to send text attachments. I don't have the stated virus on my machine (I've scanned repeatedly using F-Secure).

Wierd thing is if I send the message using a different client (Outlook Express rather than Bloomba) it sends just fine. This suggests to me that the virus detection in the SMTP server is either a) overzealous, or b) ineffective, neither of which is very helpful IMO.

This is the problem with the idea of having NTL scan for viruses and spam in e-mails. It's only useful if they get it right 100% of the time. Otherwise it just gets in the way, which is a Bad Thing(TM).

Bifta
18-04-2004, 12:16
Isn't there a known problem outstanding with NTL's SMTP server regarding this?

threadbare
18-04-2004, 16:03
try sending thru webmail.

maverick
18-04-2004, 16:52
If your using Outlook do not use any stationary with your e.mail.
Tools>options>mail format
Make sure stationary is set to none.