PDA

View Full Version : Changing NTL Webspace account

Bilko
10-04-2004, 15:37
Hello,

I had my NTL website on my "normal" email account, but I'd like to change it to my new email address. I use WS_FTP Pro, but it's not letting me in. I'm getting the message "606 no socket"

I've deleted my old email address, but still no go.
Re-applied password correctly as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris W
10-04-2004, 15:39
AFAIK you cannot change the address of your webspace... sorry! :(

Bilko
10-04-2004, 15:50
Crap! Thanks anyway.

I wanted to maker the page inaccessible from it's old address. What if I change the index page? Would that work? Like instead of the home page saying index, having index1 or something like that?

Chris W
10-04-2004, 16:00
i am not quite sure what you mean... if you want to make the site inacessable, can't you just delete the site?!

not quite sure what you are aiming to do :confused:

Bilko
10-04-2004, 16:27
I've deleted the site, but I want to set up again, but via a different directory

Matth
10-04-2004, 16:51
If you want to change your webspace directory, you need to change your MAIN username, completely.

Not sure how the sequence goes, if you want to make what was a secondary address into your main username, and your main into a secondary?

I'd guess that you first have to cancel the secondary, then change the main one to it, then add the former main one back as a secondary.

And just hope that it doesn't block any of those steps, or allow someone else to steal your name inbetween!

Chris W
10-04-2004, 16:58
If you want to change your webspace directory, you need to change your MAIN username, completely.

Not sure how the sequence goes, if you want to make what was a secondary address into your main username, and your main into a secondary?

I'd guess that you first have to cancel the secondary, then change the main one to it, then add the former main one back as a secondary.

And just hope that it doesn't block any of those steps, or allow someone else to steal your name inbetween!

this all sounds like fun, but won't make any difference to the webspace address. Changing the username/ password for the email accounts will not affect the webspace.

10-04-2004, 17:57
to change your webspace address....info on this thread (13th post)
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=10515

Mauldor
11-04-2004, 00:19
this all sounds like fun, but won't make any difference to the webspace address. Changing the username/ password for the email accounts will not affect the webspace.
Erm - really - lets try this: If you change your MAIN Email Name to another one - then i can still get up my "old" web space if i left some files on there. I then can login only on my new email name via ftp and upload - the web space is definaly empty when i checked and a different page appears (as the ending name is different).

Now this was a while ago i changed my main email as i got sick of the spam to be honest - if it has changed since then - than i appoligise

gooner4life
11-04-2004, 10:58
Call Tech Support they can change the webspace username on the database, ive done it myself.

Bilko
11-04-2004, 12:04
Excellent, thanks everyone for your help.

Much appreciated.

Bilko
26-04-2004, 19:33
Finally got round to calling tech support and it worked.

Thanks to all for the help & advice. Was much appreciated.