PDA

View Full Version : Who will downgrade their services?

ZoMBiE
09-04-2004, 19:41
With the look of ntl raising prices for 1Mb service and no doubt other services like telphone/tv etc who will downgrade their services at all.

LostintheNW
09-04-2004, 19:48
I'll be downgrading quite a bit! - I'll cancel everything!

Defiant
09-04-2004, 19:56
Already done something about it last time they done it. I canceled the whole tv service. Well they wouldn't let me have the tv on its own

paulyoung666
09-04-2004, 20:09
and its all they deserve if ppl do downgrade , on a side note , am i alone in thinking this is turning into a proper anti ntl site ;)

Defiant
09-04-2004, 20:16
am i alone in thinking this is turning into a proper anti ntl site ;)
Well perhaps NTL should do something about it ;)

Foo Fighter
09-04-2004, 20:35
I usually go between 600/1mb occasionally but theres no chance i'd even think about 1mb at that price... what a rip off.
Seriously doubt the crummy family pack is worth nearly £30, currently trying out freeview and its not to bad for free.

just weighing up costs of bt + 1mb/2mb adsl with freeview

Graham F
09-04-2004, 20:36
To be honest these threads always run around price change time, then you see ppl's attitudes change as the increase gets closer. Some ppl will downgrade that goes without saying most will pay the increased amt!

Defiant
09-04-2004, 20:40
To be honest these threads always run around price change time, then you see ppl's attitudes change as the increase gets closer. Some ppl will downgrade that goes without saying most will pay the increased amt!
I dont think everyone forgets though. I remember there track record anyway. Christ I wish C&W hadn't sold out

paulyoung666
09-04-2004, 20:51
Well perhaps NTL should do something about it ;)

well they wont close this site down will they ;)

Paul
09-04-2004, 20:57
I will continue with what I have - prices rise - that's a fact of life.

Earl of Bronze
09-04-2004, 21:03
At the moment I'm having a serious think about binning the Digi and telco. I hardly use the ntl landline, and I dont think its worth keeping the Digi on seeing as I watch less than 10 hours of tv aweek.

Thought I would miss Kerrang.

Defiant
09-04-2004, 21:33
I will continue with what I have - prices rise - that's a fact of life.
True because we have been here before. The problem is some have been here before a little too often !

hoggyspuds
09-04-2004, 21:39
what are the likely increases?

ZoMBiE
09-04-2004, 21:44
approx £2-£3 pound on 1Mb service. tv will go up as well due to sky's increase.

gavnad
09-04-2004, 21:44
does anyone expect prices to fall??

its a fact of life prices will/must rise i see no reason to downgrade due to price rises

the only question is can i get the same/better service elsewhere for less??

if i can i would have moved before!

hoggyspuds
09-04-2004, 21:52
approx £2-£3 pound on 1Mb service. tv will go up as well due to sky's increase.

got the 1mb service here. will definitley go down on speed if this rise happens. heads off to vote.......suppose it won't make much of a difference unless you spend much of your time on kaaza, etc. web surfing will be much the same.....?

Tezcatlipoca
09-04-2004, 21:57
what are the likely increases?

New Price List (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/files/pdf/price_list_07042004.pdf) - effective from June 1st

Charlie_Bubble
09-04-2004, 22:05

its a fact of life prices will/must rise i see no reason to downgrade due to price rises

Yes, prices fall due to competition/economies of scale etc.

Prices must rise? Hmm, about 3 years ago I was paying around £30 for ADSL, I could get the same speed now on the same provider for under £23.

Can you get better/same service elsewhere for less. Of course. If you can be bothered to phone up 4 times and cancel NTL, order SKY/BT/ADSL, you'll probably save yourself £10 a month at least. Myself, I'm leaving. I estimate my savings to be about £15, with an increase to 2 Meg ADSL, truly interactive TV etc.

hoggyspuds
09-04-2004, 22:08
New Price List (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/files/pdf/price_list_07042004.pdf) - effective from June 1st

£3....n ot much really...but too much for me. It's nice to have the fastest possible, but at what price? not £38 !! Can you downgrade online?

ZoMBiE
09-04-2004, 22:10
well with 1500 job cuts and two ntl executives, award themselves with bonuses, (£28Mil lion) we have price increases:)

hoggyspuds
09-04-2004, 22:14
and now cable forum has been purchased by bt?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/30/bt-to-buy-cable-forum-as-marketing-tool

what's going on?

Tezcatlipoca
09-04-2004, 22:20
£3....n ot much really...but too much for me. It's nice to have the fastest possible, but at what price? not £38 !! Can you downgrade online?

Yeah, £38 does seem too much.

Nope, AFAIK you can't downgrade online - only upgrade.

To downgrade from the 1meg service you'll need to phone up NTL.

and now cable forum has been purchased by bt?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/30/bt-to-buy-cable-forum-as-marketing-tool

what's going on?

Check the date of the article ;)

paulyoung666
09-04-2004, 22:20

no you cant , you need to ring them up :(

hoggyspuds
09-04-2004, 22:23
Yeah, £38 does seem too much.

Nope, AFAIK you can't downgrade online - only upgrade.

To downgrade from the 1meg service you'll need to phone up NTL.

Check the date of the article ;)

don't i feel like an ar*e......was getting worked up there......"how can they"....."bastar*ds for selling out"...."bt don't do cable?.....?".....lol.......see the funny side now :dunce:

Defiant
09-04-2004, 22:23

I can see price's falling at other place's yes well they are but NTL er NOPE

hoggyspuds
09-04-2004, 22:25
Check the date of the article ;)[/QUOTE]

I am Irish after all.......you gotta expect stupidity!!.....lol :dunce:

DeKurver
10-04-2004, 01:13
I will downgrade my BB from 1M back to 600k; no changes to DTV subs though.

LINC
11-04-2004, 12:23
Ha Ha Ha.

Ntl do it again clicked on

New Price List - effective from June 1st

bottom half of page is all upside down.

it's the simple things that go wrong.lol lol.

Rone
13-04-2004, 20:23
If they dont hassle over the 1meg cap, i,m sure i wont quibble about a few more quid.
I know a lot of us exceed it a bit, [some maybe a lot] so if theres going to be no hassle fair enough.
I dont like the price-rise, but theres little alternative here, now if there was 1 meg adsl...........;)

Florence
13-04-2004, 20:26
I have already downgraded today. They seem to not be bothered that customers are downgrading. I don't see why we have to pay the increase they could have used Telewest method. If you have another service then its £34.99 if its just BB then its £37.99

iron25
13-04-2004, 20:39
Most ADSL companies seem to cutting prices for broadband whilst, if true, ntl are increasing theirs.

If I can get it cheaper elsewhere I will look into it but if not, I'll just have to download even more to get my money's worth :)

lemarsh
13-04-2004, 20:43
I dont think everyone forgets though. I remember there track record anyway. Christ I wish C&W hadn't sold out
Bring back Nynex!

Florence
13-04-2004, 21:10
Bring back Nynex!
Yes they did answer emails and treated customers like they was important.

etccarmageddon
13-04-2004, 21:22
I will upgrade to 1mb then downgrade before the price rise.

Florence
13-04-2004, 21:33
I will upgrade to 1mb then downgrade before the price rise.

You have to have the product for 30 days

Chris
13-04-2004, 21:49

This is not necessarily the case. All kinds of circumstances can lead to falling prices. Deregulation in the former monopoly utilitles - gas, electricity, phones - has led to reduced bills. Fierce competition between Asda, Tesco and the rest has brought down the cost of your weekly shopping. When prices do go up, we have the inflation figure as a benchmark, which allows us to determine whether there has been a real-terms price increase or not. If your bill goes up by the same amount as inflation, then even that price rise is not a true, real-terms increase. If the bill goes up, but by less than inflation, then in real terms you have benefited from a price reduction.

My base pack TV has gone up by just £1 a month. This appears a tiny increase until you realise that it is something like three times the current rate of inflation. If inflation tells me that the cost of raw materials and labour is rising at a certain rate, yet the cost of the finished product has risen at a rate three times greater, I am entitled to ask where the extra money is going.

I voted in the poll to say I won't be reducing my service. The only thing I could reduce is my BB from 600k to 150k, and there's no point doing that because the 600k service price is held. I did reduce from Family Pack to Base Pack last time tho, and when we move house I will be taking a long, hard look at Freeview, even if we move to an ntl-cabled street.

Florence
13-04-2004, 22:10
This is not necessarily the case. All kinds of circumstances can lead to falling prices. Deregulation in the former monopoly utilitles - gas, electricity, phones - has led to reduced bills. Fierce competition between Asda, Tesco and the rest has brought down the cost of your weekly shopping. When prices do go up, we have the inflation figure as a benchmark, which allows us to determine whether there has been a real-terms price increase or not. If your bill goes up by the same amount as inflation, then even that price rise is not a true, real-terms increase. If the bill goes up, but by less than inflation, then in real terms you have benefited from a price reduction.

My base pack TV has gone up by just £1 a month. This appears a tiny increase until you realise that it is something like three times the current rate of inflation. If inflation tells me that the cost of raw materials and labour is rising at a certain rate, yet the cost of the finished product has risen at a rate three times greater, I am entitled to ask where the extra money is going.

I voted in the poll to say I won't be reducing my service. The only thing I could reduce is my BB from 600k to 150k, and there's no point doing that because the 600k service price is held. I did reduce from Family Pack to Base Pack last time tho, and when we move house I will be taking a long, hard look at Freeview, even if we move to an ntl-cabled street.

This is easy to answer the fat cats pocket they need to pul the next big bonuses together for the selected top brass. Not with my money anymore.

Maggy
13-04-2004, 23:20
Hmmm! if all you lot are downgrading to 150k I may as well upgrade.There may be more room.

Seriously I can't face the thought of going back to dial-up so I can't downgrade.Mind I was ticked when 150k went up last year two months after I signed up to it.It's just your turn for a change.No doubt next year it will be dial-up and us semi BBers who face an increase.:(

Florence
14-04-2004, 09:22
Hmmm! if all you lot are downgrading to 150k I may as well upgrade.There may be more room.

Seriously I can't face the thought of going back to dial-up so I can't downgrade.Mind I was ticked when 150k went up last year two months after I signed up to it.It's just your turn for a change.No doubt next year it will be dial-up and us semi BBers who face an increase.:(

I was on 1mb I had no intentions of going to 150K. I would take my chances on getting ADSL before I go that low. they now have 256K which is a better option for the same money.

themelon
14-04-2004, 12:39
When realsim hits home............I dont see many of ntls major competitiors ie BT Broadband/Yahoo (whatever the feck it is) AOL, Freeserve cutting prices, smaller companies offer better deals yes but NTL are not really in competition with them.

And Skys prices rises are expected every year despite rises in subscriber numbers.

Charlie_Bubble
14-04-2004, 13:24
Well, this moring I called and gave my 30 days notice. I told the woman who initially took my call that I wanted to change because I could get better service for a lower cost with BT/Sky. She tried to convince me that BT/Sky/ADSL couldn't save me money (She didn't try to say anything about the quality of service though), but I've already worked out that I will be at least £10-15 better off a month and if I get an ADSL ISP who provide good newsgroup services, I'll save another £20 on top of that. So, that's a possible saving of about £35 a month.

After a long delay and 2 or 3 failed attempts she put me through to the next department to try and convince me to stay. The guy who answered here must have heard it all before. He didn't really try to convince me to stay. Made the same feeble attempt to say NTL were cheaper. I had told him that I wanted to save some money and have working interactive TV. At first he tried to tell me that I hadn't had broadband long enough to just quit. He said I'd only had it since February, but I told him I've had it for at least 3 years now. He mumbled somethign about me maybe changing down to 512k in February, but I've been a 1Meg customer since before they cut the price to £34.99. I can only hope he actually had my details on the screen when he cancelled everything. He tried one last time, saying BT were putting their prices up in June, but I wasn't having any of it and I don't think he didn't have the heart to try and fight me on it. I didn't even list the other gripes I have, breaks in picture, frequent resets to try and get the TV schedule info to work, expensive phone calls (3-2-1 my ar$e), download cap on broadband, crappy email servers and lack of newsgroups.

Then I called BT, who are reconnecting my line next thursday and porting my number back over. I immediately knew I was back onto a winner. The lady who took my details was professional, polite and I could hear her properly. There was no talking too far or too near the mic and no excessive call-centre background noise. The key point though, I actually believe BT will do what they have been told, with no major screw-ups. I always seem to put the phone down on NTL and have a worrying doubt in the back of my mind that my request is not going to be completed without somethign going wrong.

Neil
14-04-2004, 13:28
Then I called BT, who are reconnecting my line next thursday and porting my number back over. I immediately knew I was back onto a winner. The lady who took my details was professional, polite and I could hear her properly. There was no talking too far or too near the mic and no excessive call-centre background noise. The key point though, I actually believe BT will do what they have been told, with no major screw-ups. I always seem to put the phone down on NTL and have a worrying doubt in the back of my mind that my request is not going to be completed without somethign going wrong.

That was exactly how I felt when I went back to BT. :tu:

Couple that with the fact that whenever I now speak to BT about something, I get a letter a couple of days later confirming what has been set up. :tu: :tu:

They haven't put a foot wrong in my eyes. :)

Florence
14-04-2004, 13:51
Well, this moring I called and gave my 30 days notice. I told the woman who initially took my call that I wanted to change because I could get better service for a lower cost with BT/Sky. She tried to convince me that BT/Sky/ADSL couldn't save me money (She didn't try to say anything about the quality of service though), but I've already worked out that I will be at least £10-15 better off a month and if I get an ADSL ISP who provide good newsgroup services, I'll save another £20 on top of that. So, that's a possible saving of about £35 a month.

After a long delay and 2 or 3 failed attempts she put me through to the next department to try and convince me to stay. The guy who answered here must have heard it all before. He didn't really try to convince me to stay. Made the same feeble attempt to say NTL were cheaper. I had told him that I wanted to save some money and have working interactive TV. At first he tried to tell me that I hadn't had broadband long enough to just quit. He said I'd only had it since February, but I told him I've had it for at least 3 years now. He mumbled somethign about me maybe changing down to 512k in February, but I've been a 1Meg customer since before they cut the price to £34.99. I can only hope he actually had my details on the screen when he cancelled everything. He tried one last time, saying BT were putting their prices up in June, but I wasn't having any of it and I don't think he didn't have the heart to try and fight me on it. I didn't even list the other gripes I have, breaks in picture, frequent resets to try and get the TV schedule info to work, expensive phone calls (3-2-1 my ar$e), download cap on broadband, crappy email servers and lack of newsgroups.

I phoned yesturday to downgrade to 600K. I have the time the call was taken and the name. He told me to hold on then said it was done.. So I asked if I had to reboot the cable modem. I was told no it will reboot autamtically sometime today (yesturday) It hadn't rebooted so I visted NTHW chatroom Igni rebooted it for me but I still seem to have 1mb. I will refuse to pay 1mb price if they leave it on as I requested and was confirmed back that it was now 600K..

Reddevil63
14-04-2004, 16:10
I downgraded 2 months ago and still getting my bill wrong.

Charging me for 1Mb and 600k and have only the 600k service.

Keep phoning CS up and they understand the problem so hopefully alls well next bill arrives.

poolking
14-04-2004, 16:30
I was going to downgrade my BB anyway due to my current financial situation, but now the price has gone up to £37.99 it has now made it a certainty.

br3ach
14-04-2004, 16:52
I have gone from 1MB to 600K in protest.

But I have a feeling its what they want everyone to do for some reason.

Chris
14-04-2004, 16:56
I have gone from 1MB to 600K in protest.

But I have a feeling its what they want everyone to do for some reason.
Funny, that thought has been nagging me for a couple of days now. We already know they think the average 1mb user is a warez monkey. Maybe they're trying to gently encourage them to take their business elsewhere so they can sell the bandwidth to larger numbers of less intensive users.

Charlie_Bubble
14-04-2004, 18:59
Funny, that thought has been nagging me for a couple of days now. We already know they think the average 1mb user is a warez monkey. Maybe they're trying to gently encourage them to take their business elsewhere so they can sell the bandwidth to larger numbers of less intensive users.

Well, for their sake, let's hope they only push people to downgrade. They pushed me to leave. That's a guaranteed £90 a month lost. I was with them for about 5 years. Have been considering leaving for a while now, but this lot of price rises (I still can't quite believe it's £3 on 1Meg!! :Yikes: ) has just persuaded me to actually do it. I'm going to be saving about £25 to £30 a month and will hopefully be a lot better off with working newsgroups, email and interactive for big events like the olympics/wimbledon. This last week I've also started to get problems with disconnections, which has started to irritate the hell out of me. Roll on 14th May when it's turned off! :)

Macready
16-04-2004, 01:32
Ive not looked back or had any regrets since recently jumping ship, ive got Freeview, BT and ADSL and its cheaper than NTL was. Much better connection for what I use it for - Gaming.

Mauldor
16-04-2004, 02:13
Rang up NTL Today with a view to downgrade - after speak to the rep (never got his name - i was not interested) he thought what he heard was the 600 service was going up NOt the 1mbit.

Best advice (as i only have BB left Now) i think is see what happens then cancel and move to adsl or if your stuck with NTL Only - downgrade to 600 service

Marge
16-04-2004, 02:26
It's only the 1mg that is going up, no change to the other two

Mauldor
16-04-2004, 19:53
Yer read the official letter on the other Thread and called to cancel - only prob was cancellation only work mon-fri sort of thing :(

Im off to ADSL land myself - finally will be rid of NTL now 100% - just think - email servers that work - no proxies - whooo

Charlie_Bubble
16-04-2004, 20:33
Ordered Sky online today to replace NTL when it stops. Got a Sunday install. I was impressed that they install on a Sunday actually. I like to use my Saturdays, don't want to take a days holiday and don't really do much on a Sunday. :)

All I have to do now is select my ADSL ISP, arrange for that and I'm sorted! :D

NitroNutter
22-04-2004, 07:32
Jumped ship and reaching the shores of BT, analog tv cancelled, ntl phone cancelled by BT, downgraded to 600k so as soon as my new bt line is active I can look at the way way cheeper and faster than cable, adsl options. I will even probably overlap these 2 to ensure no downtime.
It wasnt just the price rise I was going anyway, but I was thinking about keeping the modem till I discoverd the price rise so NTL certainly worked out how to 100% clinch the losing of my custom.

Never believed in digi tv as its just 4 times as many channels showing 4 x as many repeats, freeview will have to be considered at some point hto I suppose as analog is going to die

poolking
22-04-2004, 07:44
Jumped ship and reaching the shores of BT, analog tv cancelled, ntl phone cancelled by BT, downgraded to 600k so as soon as my new bt line is active I can look at the way way cheeper and faster than cable, adsl options. I will even probably overlap these 2 to ensure no downtime.
It wasnt just the price rise I was going anyway, but I was thinking about keeping the modem till I discoverd the price rise so NTL certainly worked out how to 100% clinch the losing of my custom.

Never believed in digi tv as its just 4 times as many channels showing 4 x as many repeats, freeview will have to be considered at some point hto I suppose as analog is going to die
I'm sorry if this repsonse stirs up a little tension here, but your temper tantrum about the due date on your bill in another thread was all for nothing as you were leaving anyway?

So why rant and rave when you had no intention of staying with NTL? I know you apologised for your outburst, so really you had no contribution to make in trying to improve NTL. At least rant and rave then stay to try and improve the situation.

NitroNutter
22-04-2004, 07:46
I'm sorry if this repsonse stirs up a little tension here, but your temper tantrum about the due date on your bill in another thread was all for nothing as you were leaving anyway?

So why rant and rave when you had no intention of staying with NTL? I know you apologised for your outburst, so really you had no contribution to make in trying to improve NTL. At least rant and rave then stay to try and improve the situation.No tension you just mentioned my main reason for jumping ;)

And if the situation hadnt arose then maybe I would still have been as before, a happy customer is a customer who may not look at other options.
However as Theres a price rise coming, which I cannot afford then I would still have looked alsewhere and jumped.

trebor
22-04-2004, 10:40

why must prices rise? for what reason? the only one I can think of is greed
and NTL have got plenty of that.

I left last time the prices went up and I got a better cheaper service so I don't know why you can't.

Enterian
22-04-2004, 10:46
Personally, I shall be keeping the 1Mbit service, but will be dumping Sky Sports from my TV package, which will make my bill £1 per month cheaper!

seaneeboy
22-04-2004, 11:26
Well i'm on family pack and 150k BB so overall i'm only going up by a quid/month - which for the extra channels they've brought in I recon is more than worth it.

Of couse, I'd still love a pick n mix system, but you gotta take what you can...

I still need to do an overall cost comparason, however for the various setups, but all in all the cost increase is nowhere near as bad as I feared it would be. I'd be right miffed if I was on 1meg though, for sure!

I noticed yesterday that Filmfour is actually an extra quid on sky digital. Be grateful for small mercies, eh?

Enterian
22-04-2004, 11:44
<SNIP!>

I noticed yesterday that Filmfour is actually an extra quid on sky digital. Be grateful for small mercies, eh?
Erm....... It'll cost you an extra six quid on NTL as you have to have all the Filmfour channels

SMHarman
22-04-2004, 11:47
Well i'm on family pack and 150k BB so overall i'm only going up by a quid/month - which for the extra channels they've brought in I recon is more than worth it.

Of couse, I'd still love a pick n mix system, but you gotta take what you can...

I still need to do an overall cost comparason, however for the various setups, but all in all the cost increase is nowhere near as bad as I feared it would be. I'd be right miffed if I was on 1meg though, for sure!

Do you actually watch much on the Sky Movies channels? I find it better to put that money to screenselect / blockbuster / ppv or something else. Movie channels never show what I want when I want.

seaneeboy
22-04-2004, 12:02
No, I don't actually have any of the movie packages/channels - blockbuster's 3 movies for a fiver for a week more than suits me!

If I was to actually do any of that though I would get film four - it seems to be about the only channel with stuff that I'd like to see (i.e. I don't already own all of it on DVD/it's not all chick flicks...)

seaneeboy
22-04-2004, 12:03
Erm....... It'll cost you an extra six quid on NTL as you have to have all the Filmfour channels

sorry, i should have been clearer - it's £6 on NTL, but £7 on Sky digital...

Chris
22-04-2004, 12:05
No, I don't actually have any of the movie packages/channels - blockbuster's 3 movies for a fiver for a week more than suits me!

If I was to actually do any of that though I would get film four - it seems to be about the only channel with stuff that I'd like to see (i.e. I don't already own all of it on DVD/it's not all chick flicks...)
We thought that about FilmFour, but we were sadly mistaken. The good stuff is very thin on the ground. even mrs towny thought so, and she's in to arty film. We cancelled it.

seaneeboy
22-04-2004, 12:08
Aye, I get like this every time there's a free weekend on filmfour, it'll blow over in a couple of weeks :D

SMHarman
22-04-2004, 12:21

So your £1 on sports is Premiership Plus, not Sky Sports? Family Pack plus Sky Sports - £40.50 per month vs £28 a month - £12.50 more.

EDIT

This is more in response to the below post. Still confused about your £1 saving :dunce:

Personally, I shall be keeping the 1Mbit service, but will be dumping Sky Sports from my TV package, which will make my bill £1 per month cheaper!

seaneeboy
22-04-2004, 12:55
Aaaah, sorry, more confusion here - I meant by BILLS going up by £1/month, not me personally being "Up" a quid a month! As I said, all I have is the family pack which is going up by the £1.

Enterian
22-04-2004, 15:59
So your £1 on sports is Premiership Plus, not Sky Sports? Family Pack plus Sky Sports - £40.50 per month vs £28 a month - £12.50 more.

EDIT

This is more in response to the below post. Still confused about your £1 saving :dunce:
Okay:

Current package: Family Pack + Sky Sports & Movies £47.50, plus 1Meg BB £34.99 total £82.49 (plus phone calls)

After price rise: Family Pack + Sky Movies only £43.50, plus 1Meg BB £37.99 total £81.49 (plus phone calls)

SMHarman
22-04-2004, 16:07
Okay:

Current package: Family Pack + Sky Sports & Movies £47.50, plus 1Meg BB £34.99 total £82.49 (plus phone calls)

After price rise: Family Pack + Sky Movies only £43.50, plus 1Meg BB £37.99 total £81.49 (plus phone calls)

Putting the question to the right person! :dunce:

Do you actually watch much on the Sky Movies channels? I find it better to put that money to screenselect / blockbuster / ppv or something else. Movie channels never show what I want when I want.

Foo Fighter
22-04-2004, 19:52
Going to upgrade to 1mb tommorow, as its the last month im gonna ever have it...

I'll run it to the ground and get my moneys worth then downgrade just before price hike.

Base pack is looking tempting as well

seaneeboy
23-04-2004, 09:51
I'm generally tempted to upgrade to 600k. Mrs Seaneeboy has other ideas though. She wants to buy boring things... like... food. Sigh.

SMHarman
23-04-2004, 10:24
Once you go High speed, you'll wonder how you surfed without it. £7 a month, thats a pint a week, a couple of tubs of ice cream a month, one less takeout pizza, if you want to justify it. BB is healthy for you.

Enterian
23-04-2004, 11:12
Putting the question to the right person! :dunce:

Actually that's a good point, and one that I'll have to give some thought to, unfortunately there are no decent video/dvd rental places near me, but maybe I'll have a look at the ppv schedules and see if that would suit me better!

SMHarman
23-04-2004, 12:23
Actually that's a good point, and one that I'll have to give some thought to, unfortunately there are no decent video/dvd rental places near me, but maybe I'll have a look at the ppv schedules and see if that would suit me better!

Have you looked at www.screenselect.co.uk

DVD - 2 Discs 2 £11.99
DVD - 3 Discs 3 £14.99

All postage costs included in the monthly fee. Note - thats 2 disks at your house at any one time, not 2 discs a month. If you get it watch it and return it I suppose you could churn through about 15 discs a month.

Enterian
23-04-2004, 14:37
Have you looked at www.screenselect.co.uk (http://www.screenselect.co.uk/)

DVD - 2 Discs 2 £11.99
DVD - 3 Discs 3 £14.99

All postage costs included in the monthly fee. Note - thats 2 disks at your house at any one time, not 2 discs a month. If you get it watch it and return it I suppose you could churn through about 15 discs a month.Looks pretty good - thanks for that!

EDIT: I've just been informed that Tesco do a similar service

SMHarman
27-04-2004, 14:37
Been looking at 'downgrading' and was suprised at the math (altis will love me for that)

Currently pay £18 for the TV + £10 for Family + £5 for Disney + £15 for a second STB. Total £48

Sky+
Sky Movie World is £34 a month. Includes all the above channels. Second subscription £10 total monthly cost £44.
Installation £1, Sky+box £199. Total Viewing combination option.

So I have an inital outlay of about £200, a lower monthly cost by £4 and more channels. I also have a damn aweful disk attached to the house and the ability to record to HDD. I don't use the NTL phone and already pay BT £50 a month, so thats not a factor in my math.

How much would a not proprietary HDD recorder cost me? I've seen the CR3 future and unless somethign happens to improve the speed Mrs H says we are off to the other side.

I will keep the BB though.

orangebird
27-04-2004, 15:40
Been looking at 'downgrading' and was suprised at the math (altis will love me for that)

Currently pay £18 for the TV + £10 for Family + £5 for Disney + £15 for a second STB. Total £48

Sky+
Sky Movie World is £34 a month. Includes all the above channels. Second subscription £10 total monthly cost £44.
Installation £1, Sky+box £199. Total Viewing combination option.

So I have an inital outlay of about £200, a lower monthly cost by £4 and more channels. I also have a damn aweful disk attached to the house and the ability to record to HDD. I don't use the NTL phone and already pay BT £50 a month, so thats not a factor in my math.

How much would a not proprietary HDD recorder cost me? I've seen the CR3 future and unless somethign happens to improve the speed Mrs H says we are off to the other side.

I will keep the BB though.

If the phone line is not a factor in your math, then your comparison is entirely unfair.... :rolleyes:

SMHarman
27-04-2004, 15:56
But at least from my post you can see that this is based on my personal circumstances where I NTL not supporting ISDN has meant I have had to keep with BT for telco services.

Now if NTL offered ISDN at a premium to the inclusive phone line then we would be able to compare apples and apples.

trebor
27-04-2004, 15:58
I don't think he said it was fair, he says he has a service from NTL that he doesn't use and therefore doesn't need so why should he take it into account?

orangebird
27-04-2004, 16:02
I don't think he said it was fair, he says he has a service from NTL that he doesn't use and therefore doesn't need so why should he take it into account?

He didn't say it was fair - I think the cpmparison is unfair....
ntl works out £4 more expensive because he is also paying for a phone line, which he omitted from his calculations....whether he uses it or not is neither here nor there. :shrug:

ian@huth
27-04-2004, 16:28
He didn't say it was fair - I think the cpmparison is unfair....
ntl works out £4 more expensive because he is also paying for a phone line, which he omitted from his calculations....whether he uses it or not is neither here nor there. :shrug:

You mean the NTL "FREE" phone line? :rolleyes:

orangebird
27-04-2004, 16:41

No, I mean the line that's 'INCLUDED' in the price of the family pack. :rolleyes:

Bizarre
27-04-2004, 16:49
The announcement of the increase in downstream speeds means that downgrading my service is now even more attractive!

Chris
27-04-2004, 16:52
For crying out loud, can we please not go there again?! :cry:

SMHarman
27-04-2004, 17:02
For crying out loud, can we please not go there again?! :cry:

And nobodys answered me as to how much a non-proprietary HDD recorder will set me back :dozey:

orangebird
27-04-2004, 17:08
And nobodys answered me as to how much a non-proprietary HDD recorder will set me back :dozey:

I think you'll be looking at around £500 for a brand new one. Not sure what's up for grabs on ebay though?

Benooo
27-04-2004, 17:31
I have just read that NTL and Telewest are increasing their BB speed. NTL top BB package will be 1.5Mbps and Telewest 3Mbps.

May be thats why they are increasing the prices......

Benooo
27-04-2004, 17:32
I'm new to this sorry, here is the link. http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1639

Hope it works....lol

paulyoung666
27-04-2004, 17:32
I have just read that NTL and Telewest are increasing their BB speed. NTL top BB package will be 1.5Mbps and Telewest 3Mbps.

May be thats why they are increasing the prices......

are tw increasing there prices :confused:

orangebird
27-04-2004, 17:33
I'm new to this sorry, here is the link. http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1639

Hope it works....lol

Already being dicussed since yesterday...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=11564&highlight=increase+speed

:)

Benooo
27-04-2004, 17:37
Already being dicussed since yesterday...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=11564&highlight=increase+speed

:)

I have only just returned to this site today so didn't see yesterdays thread.

I will have a quick search next time to make sure I'm not repeating the info.

Just thought it would be relevent to this thread. :)

It's changed a lot in here....

Chris
27-04-2004, 18:00
I think you'll be looking at around £500 for a brand new one. Not sure what's up for grabs on ebay though?

Rather worse than that, by the looks of it:

http://www.electricwarehouse.co.uk/mainframe.php?prod=247&cat=15&subcat=36&manu=10&tk=dt&ref=dealtime

:(

Florence
27-04-2004, 20:41
No, I mean the line that's 'INCLUDED' in the price of the family pack. :rolleyes:
When I joined it was listed as a free phone line if you took out the package................ :D that was going back some years :Yikes:

orangebird
28-04-2004, 09:39
Rather worse than that, by the looks of it:

http://www.electricwarehouse.co.uk/mainframe.php?prod=247&cat=15&subcat=36&manu=10&tk=dt&ref=dealtime

:(

Go to Kelkoo - never fails to find the cheapest!

Neil
28-04-2004, 09:47
:notopic: :)

arcamalpha2004
16-05-2004, 08:32
If they dont hassle over the 1meg cap, i,m sure i wont quibble about a few more quid.
I know a lot of us exceed it a bit, [some maybe a lot] so if theres going to be no hassle fair enough.
I dont like the price-rise, but theres little alternative here, now if there was 1 meg adsl...........;)
A lot of people miss a very important point, NTL was touted as an UNLIMITED service, I know it was to me when I signed up.

poolking
16-05-2004, 08:38
A lot of people miss a very important point, NTL was touted as an UNLIMITED service, I know it was to me when I signed up.
I don't think anyone is missing the point, remember there was huge uproar when the cap was introduced.

Chris W
16-05-2004, 08:43

provided me an example of someone that has actually had more action than a letter regarding the cap and i will believe that it is a limitation on the service. After all by the wording of the cap, it is a guidline rather than a limit, but we are getting :notopic:

I will not be downloading my speed. 1.5mbps downsteam suits me fine!

arcamalpha2004
16-05-2004, 09:21

So why rant and rave when you had no intention of staying with NTL? I know you apologised for your outburst, so really you had no contribution to make in trying to improve NTL. At least rant and rave then stay to try and improve the situation.

Poolking, do you really think NTL are listening to their customers?
The fact he was jumping anyway is besides the point.
I will tell you what, let NTL carry on hiking their prices as high as they wish, just so their top employees can have big houses and pensions at the expense of the ordinary person living in this over priced country.
And when the next increase demand lands on your mat, don't even open it, because we are trying to improve things from our side.
Somebody get me out of here.:confused:

arcamalpha2004
16-05-2004, 09:35
provided me an example of someone that has actually had more action than a letter regarding the cap and i will believe that it is a limitation on the service. After all by the wording of the cap, it is a guidline rather than a limit, but we are getting :notopic:

I will not be downloading my speed. 1.5mbps downsteam suits me fine!

Nobody has had their service cancelled as far as I know, because how could it stand in a court of law?
I mean, the brief turns to me and says, "Why did you exceed the cap?"
I reply, "What cap? I signed an agreement for unlimited use."
Brief turns to NTL wig and says, "Show me your paper work MR NTL"...........

Bill C
16-05-2004, 10:49
Nobody has had their service cancelled as far as I know

Your correct

And to put this back on thread.

1.5 meg suits me fine. So i will not be downgrading not that i was anyway :)

Rik
30-05-2004, 19:54
Downgrading?
No way
Ntl have provided me with a fantastic service for the last year and a half :)
A extra £3 per month and extra 500k in July?
1.5meg Line for £37.99? Nope ill be staying on a nice fast T1 Line thankyou very much :)

arcamalpha2004
30-05-2004, 22:21
Downgrading?
No way
Ntl have provided me with a fantastic service for the last year and a half :)
A extra £3 per month and extra 500k in July?
1.5meg Line for £37.99? Nope ill be staying on a nice fast T1 Line thankyou very much :)

Rik, speed increase in july? who are your sources? I heard late summer, I would say that was more october?
Glad to hear your happy, fact is NTL are still on the backfoot, youre paying now for what youll get in october, maybe, oops sorry, july.

Paul
30-05-2004, 23:12
Rik, speed increase in july? who are your sources? I heard late summer, I would say that was more october?

I think you will find that Summer ends around September 21/22. :dozey:

The general opinion seems to be that these will happen in August - probably phased around the country.

LenMackin
31-05-2004, 00:01
I downgraded a couple of weeks ago from 1mb to 600 service. I am not paying the extra. I am thinking of getting rid of the entire TV package also. The kids are the stumbling block with this as they watch all the music and kids channels. However, in my opinion none of it is worth £30 per month and the new CR3 stuff is crap. I could by a freeview box get a few extra channels and save £360 a year that would otherwise be spent on watching American crap or repeats.